Mike Wang (Beluga) clarity on the 'Control stick'

Talk about NBA 2K13 here.

Mike Wang (Beluga) clarity on the 'Control stick'

Postby mlp111 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:45 am

Mike Wang chimed in to bring clarity to the new 'Control Stick', sounds great!
http://www.operationsports.com/news/566 ... rol-stick/
mlp111

Re: Mike Wang (Beluga) clarity on the 'Control stick'

Postby JaoSming on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:59 am

I knew there would be a lot of questions/concerns regarding today's announcements, especially regarding the Control Stick, so I just wanted to give a few more details.

The Shot button is still there and more fully featured than in past versions. So if you choose, you can use the Right Stick for dribble moves and do all your shots with the face buttons. A lot of guys in the office prefer to play this way. In case you missed it, B (CIRCLE) is a Hop Step button again.

There's an option to toggle the default behavior of the Control Stick. So you can make the Right Stick Shot Stick by default, and then hold LT (L2) to activate Isomotion.

There are options to choose camera-relative vs. absolute control for both Shots and Isomotion independently.

You can perform basic dribble moves with the Left Stick as well. Of course, you won't have near the same level of control as you would with the Right Stick, but it's a pretty complete arsenal of moves... including sizeups (tap the Left Stick side to side.)

Bottom line, we're giving you the ability to play the way you want to play 2K13. If you adopt the Control Stick fully, you'll have more control over your player than any basketball has ever given in the past... hands down. But if you want a more casual pick up and play experience, we accommodate that as well. Hope that answers some questions.

The Shot Stick is more gesture based now. Throw the stick left to right for a left to right Euro, Double tap the Stick to the left to hop step to the left, etc.

question for Beluba - does the hop step button work like it did in 2k11, where it could also be used for spins and step-backs? i always liked using the hop step button for step-backs in 2k11 - it always felt a bit more responsive than using the stick for step-backs.

Double Tap B for spins, B + LS away for stepback.

You can pass with the Control Stick too. HOLD RB and move RS in the direction you want to pass.

It's an option that you can turn off if you want.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby tshah21 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:10 am

Ah, so the controls are still gonna be crap on PC then. Ah well, I'll make do without a controller like I did with 2k12.
tshah21

Postby mlp111 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:09 am

tshah21 wrote:Ah, so the controls are still gonna be crap on PC then. Ah well, I'll make do without a controller like I did with 2k12.

the controls were ok on pc bro, i dont see how anyone could play this game without a controller
mlp111

Postby tshah21 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:24 am

mlp111 wrote:
tshah21 wrote:Ah, so the controls are still gonna be crap on PC then. Ah well, I'll make do without a controller like I did with 2k12.

the controls were ok on pc bro, i dont see how anyone could play this game without a controller

It was challenging and took a lot of configuration, and even now i still cant do isomotion. No big deal though.
tshah21

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Good to have the clarification. I reckon I'll be able to pick it up fairly quickly, given the similarity to Freestyle Control in NBA Live in years gone by.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby gogadantes on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Honestly you're missing out on a lot if you play these games without a controller, man. A regular X-Box 360 controller works excellently, btw., just plug and play. One of the old ones with the USB cable. Nowadays they're pretty cheap, I think.
gogadantes

Postby hrbulls on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Or if you're like me and you don't like the big 360 controllers... a PS3 controller sounds good. (Y)
hrbulls

Postby gogadantes on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 pm

hrbulls wrote:Or if you're like me and you don't like the big 360 controllers... a PS3 controller sounds good. (Y)

You mean you can play PC games with default PS3 controllers too? I did NOT know that because I don't have a PS3. But now I think I might hunt for some PS3 controllers because IMHO they (PS2 and PS3's) are the best designed controllers ever.
gogadantes

Postby benji on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Use motioninjoy for a DualShock: http://www.motioninjoy.com/
benji

Postby hrbulls on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:04 am

gogadantes wrote:
hrbulls wrote:Or if you're like me and you don't like the big 360 controllers... a PS3 controller sounds good. (Y)

You mean you can play PC games with default PS3 controllers too? I did NOT know that because I don't have a PS3. But now I think I might hunt for some PS3 controllers because IMHO they (PS2 and PS3's) are the best designed controllers ever.

Yep! Use motionjoy.

benji wrote:Use motioninjoy for a DualShock: http://www.motioninjoy.com/

x2 (Y)
hrbulls

Postby Spree#8 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:13 am

tshah21 wrote:
mlp111 wrote:

It was challenging and took a lot of configuration, and even now i still cant do isomotion. No big deal though.

Yeah, isomotion sucks without a controller, but other than that you're totally fine with a keyboard. Dribbling was a lot easier with 2K9/2K10 control scheme. Of course, the 2K11/2K12 controls wouldn't be a problem if 2K didn't feel like being douchebags and not letting PC players select the control scheme they want to use.
Spree#8

Postby gogadantes on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Aah, valuable info here! (about the PS3 controllers) Thanks!
gogadantes

Return to NBA 2K13