NBA 2K13 Cover Athletes - Griffin, Rose, and Durant

Talk about NBA 2K13 here.

NBA 2K13 Cover Athletes - Griffin, Rose, and Durant

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:47 pm

http://kotaku.com/5921289/three-of-a-ki ... nd-griffin

The three will share the same cover. There will not be three different covers, as there was for NBA 2K12. The new cover also features a revised NBA 2K logo.

That's not to say 2K Sports is pushing out Jordan. A teaser image meant to give clues as to the cover subjects included the Brooklyn Bridge, which Argent admitted was tied to Jordan (he was born there.)

Pressed for specifics, he remained mum. "Michael Jordan is a part of our game and our marketing plan, in a similar capacity to the way he has been in the past," Argent said.

"We have one of the biggest announcements ever," Argent vowed, "if not the biggest ever in the history of the 2K Sports franchise ever coming in a couple of weeks. I think you'll be surprised. Pleasantly."
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: NBA 2K13 Cover Athletes - Griffin, Rose, and Durant

Postby Leftos on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Look. I couldn't care any less about the cover of any game. I'm glad this discussion is over with, and believe me, it's right up there with "they didn't get the shoes right dagnabbit!"

But, the last quote... I can't help it, it fuels excitement in me. 2K13 is the only basketball we'll have for PC again this year, so anything positive, please, bring it.

As long as it's not another console-exclusive DLC #2, or console-exclusive ANYTHING.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:15 pm

I really don't know how they can top having Jordan come back....because Barkley and Reggie being in the game would not match that, IMO.

I'm hoping it is gameplay related, but going off their track record, I'm going to try and contain any excitement for what is coming next.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 pm

I don't know. He got the bar pretty far damn high with that statement. Either a big game mechanic is coming that we didn't see at E3, or it's going to be something completely marketing related that'll be touted as exciting.

Classic teams can't be it, they were already here in 2K12. International basketball? The number of teams would have to be big enough for such an investment to be justified (NBA 2K is never going to be FIFA, we all know that).

I'm scratching my head as to what could be THAT big. I want to say the "Impact Engine" that got in FIFA was that big of an announcement, but I have to contain my excitement, just as you said.

They always tend to over-market everything. If I hear Ronnie2K say "big, exciting announcement/news coming up" one more time, I'm going to stick his head through a wall. It's his job, I know. But not everything is a big announcement!

Let's see what the biggest news in 2K Sports history actually is.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:36 pm

AN EXCLUSIVE PARTNERSHIP WITH KIA. SO YOU TOO CAN JUMP OVER A KIA IN THE ALL-STAR SATURDAY DUNK CONTEST.

PRE-ORDER AT GAMESTOP. POWER TO THE PLAYERS.
benji

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Cover looks OK. Given the obviousness of the clues and the early reveal of the teaser image, this has probably been the worst kept secret in terms of basketball video games over the past few days. I am a little surprised they went with three players on one cover but hey, at least anyone who is particularly bothered by the choice of cover player can collect all three with one purchase.

As for the big announcement, it's presumably game mode or gameplay related, perhaps something concerning an online feature. As you noted, the historical content was last year's big announcement and I don't think they can really top that as far as surprises and "big announcements" are concerned. I'm with Jon, as great as it would be to see Barkley and Reggie in the game, it wouldn't really top previous revelations.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Leftos on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:43 pm

benji wrote:AN EXCLUSIVE PARTNERSHIP WITH KIA. SO YOU TOO CAN JUMP OVER A KIA IN THE ALL-STAR SATURDAY DUNK CONTEST.

PRE-ORDER AT GAMESTOP. POWER TO THE PLAYERS.

I laughed. I laughed hard.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 pm

We laugh but the thought occurs...is it all that far-fetched?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Leftos on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:54 pm

An exclusive partnership with KIA being the biggest announcement ever in 2K Sports history?

It is too far-fetched.

I mean, come on! It's 2K!

Wait.

It's 2K.

It IS 2K.

Oh.

Oh crap.

In any case, let's hear your thoughts on the cover. Did you get what you wished for?

If the last quote has got you excited, let's get the discussion going at the new "guess the announcement" thread.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby benji on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:27 am

I know you guys in Aussieland (someday a cure) have EB Games which is GameStop, but I don't know about Greece's situation with the GameStop epidemic, but every major video game release here (Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc.) have their own ads on TV, plus GameStop ones about the pre-orders. Which all end with some function of pre-order at "GAMESTOP. POWER TO THE PLAYERS."
benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 am

I'm a Rose fan and Durant's become one of my favourite non-Bulls, so I like the cover well enough. As for Griffin, a lot of fans seem to have turned on him because of his exposure in the highlight reels but to me he's still an exciting player to watch, so I've got no problem with him being there too.

I do think the artwork on the NBA 2K12 covers was a little better though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Leftos on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:40 am

@benji: We have no dedicated gaming outlets, GameStop included. So in the extremely rare case that we get a game ad on TV, it's the generic one from the publisher. Greece isn't really considered a big market for any kind of games besides soccer. PES, FIFA and Football Manager are really popular (along with the usual WoW, Dota, Lineage, etc), but then again the piracy levels are so high (or so the publishers claim) that we don't get many special things here gamewise.

FIFA touted Greek commentary in FIFA 2000, 2001 and 2002, starring some of the most prominent sportscasters here, but then gave up on it. PES however, is so effin' popular, that it got the Champions League sportscasting team last year, for PES 2012. PES is a huge thing here. Tournaments with prizes, even a really popular song about it.

But no, no GameStop or weird ads.

Anyway, back on-topic, I agree with the general consensus that I don't find the 2K13 cover as impressive as 2K12. The artwork seemed much more refined last year. Regarding the players, I don't care that much. I don't like LBJ, but I respect his skills and the numbers he puts up, but the selection of players tells me that either this deal was closed early in the Playoffs or even earlier, or that LBJ got in EA's cover. Rose, Durant and Griffin, I all respect, but I wouldn't mind not seeing Griffin in there. He's highlight-reel material, but in no way do I think he has the level of skills of the other two.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:42 am

Depends on LeBron's asking price, too.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Houndy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 am

The cover's bland
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Mavs4Life on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:05 am

Houndy wrote:The cover's bland
Mavs4Life

Postby RedPhazon8 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:01 am

All I know is the Rose pic comes from the Knicks game where Rose slams it home... Not to interested since if I buy the game I'll be getting a Digital Version from Amazon.
RedPhazon8

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Interesting combination of players. :fruity:
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Phil89 wrote:Interesting combination of players. :fruity:

yea I was going to say something......but I was waiting for you to post.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Hadn't even thought of that. That's pretty cool. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Silver24 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Leftos wrote:Classic teams can't be it, they were already here in 2K12. International basketball? The number of teams would have to be big enough for such an investment to be justified (NBA 2K is never going to be FIFA, we all know that).

Actually it would be fun If we could get call (on My Player) to the National Team. But I prefer a better gameplay on 2k13 :D
Silver24

Postby GelPen6 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:05 am

I was hoping for LeBron to be on the cover but guess he won't be unless he's on EA's but I'd take this cover if they'd move Durant to where Blake is and put LeBron where Durant was.
GelPen6

Postby Uros12 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

I just wonder what is that big announcement going to be.Would like to see some teams from Europe or national teams if you ask me.
Still taking my time to perfect the beat
And I still got love for the streets.
Uros12

Return to NBA 2K13