Kotaku Article on NBA 2K13 with Screenshot

Talk about NBA 2K13 here.

Kotaku Article on NBA 2K13 with Screenshot

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 am

Fucking "SWISH"....get rid of it 2K!

http://kotaku.com/5916138/competition-r ... s-the-game

• "There are things I'm going to gloss over here a little, because these are things we've been doing right, such as accurate arena lighting," producer Rob Jones says in narrating a behind-closed-doors demonstration, still calling out a point of pride expressed by EA Sports in its presentation of NBA Live 13.
  • Visual Concepts,...wants you to know they have worked on passing, too....—it was hands-off—two players from the studio ran a lot of half-court plays designed to showcase passing and player AI
  • It didn't take long to see the kinds of things EA Sports is so proud of creating, and as I said on Saturday, I've seen them take place before in NBA 2K12.
  • Good pass, good pass type, good decision by a bot player to get involved in the play. Look, we got this was the unspoken message.
  • *talking about RS passing* "So, you're doing something with directional passing on lower difficulties?" I asked. At this point I have written in my notes: "knowing smile."
  • 2K Sports shows little at E3 because the game arrives in October.
  • "The point is, we have worked our butts off on passing,"
  • Jones said he, Mike Wang and Zach Timmerman started working on NBA 2K13...the day after NBA 2K12 shipped.
  • The timing of celebration animations. Ever notice how, after hitting a buzzer beater, there's a brief pause where players stand around like robots—and then they start celebrating? Jones wanted to swat that.
  • And if you don't preorder the game, your play-now and career modes will still have an All-Star game, it'll just use the previous year's venue and uniforms (in this case, Orlando's) until the All-Star game is actually played and 2K gets permission to patch in the new skins.
  • Still, I instantly resolved to play this with a Rock Band guitar when I get it. While some might find the implementation trivial, or a souped-up Quicktime event, bear in mind just how freaking hard the Blacktop Dunk Contest is with the analog stick. I can barely get the gather correct. People who get to All-Star Weekend in their careers or invite friends over to fool around with it aren't going to want to spend forever on tutorials. Some might feel it's a little simple, but I buy the logic behind the design choice. If you still want a hardcore dunking challenge, the Blacktop will always be there.
...except the Blacktop hasn't had a proper dunk contest in 2 years, none at all last year.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Kotaku Article on NBA 2K13 with Screenshot

Postby jmmontoro on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:38 am

The AI behavior is weird, the Bobcats players seem to be running too hard towards the ball, they're all gonna end up hugging some photographers.
jmmontoro

Postby ibelieve on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:43 am

i hate 2k's graphics
ibelieve

Postby mlp111 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:22 am

oh my gosh, i really hope this is 2k12, i mean its time for them to fix the courts, players haven't been touched at all, and of course players still wearing walmart shoes, geezs one let down after another! :facepalm2:
mlp111

Postby Phraynk on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:12 am

It's gotta be 2K12.
"These young guys are playing checkers. I'm out there playing chess."
Phraynk

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Still, I instantly resolved to play this with a Rock Band guitar when I get it. While some might find the implementation trivial, or a souped-up Quicktime event, bear in mind just how freaking hard the Blacktop Dunk Contest is with the analog stick. I can barely get the gather correct.

I agree in regards to the controls in 2K's previous dunk contest modes, I thought they were a little cumbersome. They were still functional though, as was NBA Live's approach to dunk contest controls. It just feels like you can be a bit more creative, picking your own starting point, creating different combinations.

And if you don't preorder the game, your play-now and career modes will still have an All-Star game, it'll just use the previous year's venue and uniforms (in this case, Orlando's) until the All-Star game is actually played and 2K gets permission to patch in the new skins.

So, out of the box authenticity is for pre-order customers only? And based on previous years, only properly implemented in the console versions? Still feels like the wrong way to go about this to me.

Good to hear that they've been working on passing AI too, everything else sounds fine.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby benji on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Andrew wrote:So, out of the box authenticity is for pre-order customers only?

The All-Star restrictions are set by the league, unless they're going to waive them for a pre-order?
benji

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:01 pm

That seems to be the implication.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby SkyLine03LT on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm

The screenshot is from 2k12, I remember using it myself a few months ago for a review.
SkyLine03LT
Walrus

Return to NBA 2K13