Poll: Full Price & Features vs 2KPC's Track Record

Talk about NBA 2K13 here.

Would you rather......

pay $60 (full console price) with proper online graphics, preorder/DLC opportunities, and same day patch releases as consoles.
62%
pay $30 (PC half price) with the same glitched online, no official addons, and delayed official patches.
38%

Total votes : 29

Poll: Full Price & Features vs 2KPC's Track Record

Postby JaoSming on Thu May 31, 2012 5:21 am

With the PS360 exclusive preorder bonus being announced today, I thought I would run a poll and spark some discussion comparing the PC version of NBA 2K games and their current gen console counterparts.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Poll: Full Price & Features vs 2KPC's Track Record

Postby Mavs4Life on Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 am

You guys still have the better game inway to me. You can mod it just about any way you want, and it's half the price of the console game.
Mavs4Life

Postby Andrew on Thu May 31, 2012 12:27 pm

Given the PC version isn't much cheaper here in Australia anyway, I'd absolutely pay full price for a full compliment of features, robust online and proper post-release support.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby SkyLine03LT on Thu May 31, 2012 1:17 pm

Console games are overpriced because game companies have to pay percentage points from all sales to companies that make the consoles. Console gamers get priority only because they greatly outnumber PC gamers. Increasing the PC game price would only further reduce PC fan base.

But to answer your question, I would prefer paying 30 bucks for PC NBA 2k. For that price I'd rather get something more useful, like the NBA League Pass (after adding another ~$70).
SkyLine03LT
Walrus

Postby Leftos on Thu May 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Same price for the same game. If, and only if, the PC version got respectable online, patches the same day as consoles and no content was console-exclusive (such as the All Star Weekend now), I would accept paying the $60.

Whether I prefer to become an equal citizen or to live with the disadvantages? Equal citizen.

But, in any case, if all we're missing out from having the patch late are such minor fixes while major issues in the game go unfixed, then I don't care. Don't make me pay $60 for a broken game you refuse to fix.

I do still believe that making DLC content console-exclusive is a completely bullshit move. If we're getting the same base game, why don't they release PC DLC as well? Same price?
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Spree#8 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 am

In Poland, the prices of games/movies/music are pretty crazy. Around here, the cost of the PC version of 2K isn't really the equivalent of $30. It's more like ~$45. With the price getting bumped up to $60, our price would likely get blown out of proportion even further. For... what?

- online? Sure, playing a few games once in a while might be fun, but all in all I spend most of my time with any game offline and all the onlike 2K abusers probably wouldn't help me change that.
- DLC? No, thanks. I have a habit of only paying once for one game.
- patch arriving on time? As it has turned out, the 2K12 patch wasn't even worth the wait really. All the major problems remained.

So $30, yeah.

And back to the pre-order/DLC thing. Last year Blacktop, this year ASW... what's next? If this keeps up, in 5 years or so we'll get a game including a "play now" with last year's finalists and freestyle practice out of the box (while not getting any cheaper, of course) to have 2K announce that the rest of the game will be divided into a dozen DLCs and that this is their way of rewarding their loyal fans for their trust in the 2K team and that's why they have decided to offer this amazing opportunity to expand their experience with the 2K game by buying all the superb game modes and other stuff they've come up with. All that in the form of another love letter such as "we can't even describe how much your support has meant to us. now give us your money, SUCKAAAZZZ!". Then they'll make us pay for patches, and so on...

Yeah, that might be exaggerated, but it basically sums up what the gaming industry has come to and what it's looking like it'll become shortly. It's already getting bad and if my sad prediction gets even close to coming true, I'll probably just quit playing video games as I don't enjoy being robbed.
Spree#8

Postby benji on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:44 am

It's only the large publishers because they don't have proper cost controls and are desperate to find anyway to bring in more revenue since they don't think they can cut budgets or they'll fall behind to AAA competition.

There will be tons of indie/PC gaming to be had at a sensible price no matter how much further down this path console gaming goes.

As for the OP, I wouldn't buy the game every year at $60, as I simply don't buy games at that price outside of select exceptions. (And even then don't anymore due to all the savings from Amazon, Steam, etc.) I'd buy it every other year, so in some respects I do prefer the "two games for price of one" I'm getting.

Especially since the patches barely fix anything (hell, the new games each year barely fix certain things) and online sucks even when working properly.
benji

Postby koberulz on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:17 am

Console games around these parts are $90-110. It's absurd.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:31 am

koberulz wrote:Console games around these parts are $90-110. It's absurd.

Absolutely. I stick with JB Hi-Fi these days as they usually have new games out at around $80 (sometimes even $70) which is a bit more reasonable, though in most cases still $20 more than in the States.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BD1899 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 pm

PC every time. I never play online and the modding community more than make up for any delays in official patches.

Also, I'm not worried about missing out on DLC. Most of the time, DLC doesn't add much to the game.

Original image by freshcontrast
BD1899

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 am

The question is whether or not you'd pay more for a PC version that received all of the same features/support priority as the console versions.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Mile23 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:39 am

I play games since 1994 (starting with the Sega Mega Drive ....) and I remember that game consoles have always been expensive ... When he ascended to the NBA Live Playstation, price was around $ 100 ... I still have NBA Live 2001 (PS1) in Germany which I paid 89 DM .... For example, NBA Live 2004 (PC) I paid 40 euros. A NBA 2k12 (PC) I paid about $ 35 (including postage) ... I have already long been a fan most PC issues and I will continue that way;)
My Fictional Courts - HERE
Mile23

Return to NBA 2K13