Postby Andrew on Thu May 10, 2012 12:26 pm

As per Ronnie's Tweet.

#NBA2K13 Mocap with @AustinRivers25 @dionwaiters3. more coming soon
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Austin Rivers, Dion Waiters provide mo-cap for 2K13

Postby Leftos on Thu May 10, 2012 8:29 pm

It's always nice to hear that they're not complacent, going with just what they have. I mean, you can't blame 2K for lack of animations. 2K12 was really good on that front. But they seem to be working on more and more.

Still, I am going to be sceptical about this installment before I see the full version on my PC. And I think we've earned that right, considering the bugginess and sloppiness that the latest installments have shown.

I hope competition from EA has made 2K rethink its approach, and that 2K12 was a transition year for whatever development team is left over there, and that now we'll have a more polished, better game overall. I don't need new features. I need 2K12 without the bugs and issues and a bit more polish. That would be quite enough for me. I know that if that's the case it should also be free or DLC-priced rather than the full 60.

But, I have that bad feeling, that the new guys are only going to work on new stuff, and the issues will just remain issues. I mean, how hard was it to just get that Team Stats bug fixed in 4 console patches? You just find the piece of code that adds the box score to the team stats and fix it.

-sigh- Rant over. It's only going to be positive news from now on I guess (unless if they axed any features the people love), so I'll be trying to forget about 2K12's problems, and thinking positive for what 2K13 could be.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat May 12, 2012 10:27 am

Agreed. While I still feel NBA 2K12 was a quality game overall, there were certainly issues that should've been stamped out after NBA 2K11 and PC users were left out in the cold for a long time as far as the official patch addressing some of them. It's inevitable that there's some kind of big addition, a strong selling point for the game, but improvements and fixes to what's in the game already is a fairly strong selling point too and an absolute must.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Leftos on Sat May 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Yeah, but the problem with fixes is that you never know until you pay (or someone else pays and does the looking for you). Fixes are NOT a selling point, at least not one they'll promote. They'll talk about improvements, but they won't say "we fixed the damn bugs we didn't bother fixing after grabbing your $60 last year".

They are an absolute must though, if this game is going to get the appreciation it deserves.

And I really, really don't want to have more tools to build to fix bugs next year. :P
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sun May 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Absolutely, though they can be creative and use terms like "enhanced", "new and improved" and "better than ever before" to stand in for such blunt statements. ;)

I'm fine with them trying to be innovative with a new feature (or new twist on an existing feature, like their historical content), so long as they cover all the other bases as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby DCAllAmerican on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:26 am

Something as simple as the bug that was introduced in 2K11 of the player rotations reseting when you enter season/association mode. It came back in 2K12 and I was like wtf. 2K10 and before, this didn't happen. But I trust 2K. 2K12 is a great game even though many people hated it.
DCAllAmerican

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:20 pm

I don't know if NBA 2K12 was widely hated, or if those who did hate it were just very vocal about it. The assertion that it's an awful game as some people have said is puzzling; it's not perfect, the 9.5 and 10 out of 10s it received were a bit generous given the issues that carried over from NBA 2K11 and the severe lack of online stability, but terrible and awful as some describe it? Hyperbole to say the least, in my book.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K13