NBA 2K12 editing tips by Bassman58

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K12.

NBA 2K12 editing tips by Bassman58

Postby Bassman58 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:37 am

I plan to post some editing tips/help here. Hopefully the mods will sticky this in the tutorial section. Most of the information will be about uniform editing and team.iff editing. I'll continue to add to this post. Additions will be in the first post. Some of this info applies to NBA2K 11.

Collars and cloth files

collar 0 = crew or U collar... ex Celtics uh005... Cavs uh004... cloth_u.iff
collar 1 = V neck... ex Knicks uh014... Wizards uh002... cloth_v.iff
collar 2 = V neck Tri... ex all star uh007... uh030... cloth_vtri.iff
collar 3 = tri... ex Rockets alt ux023... Grizzlies uh008... cloth_tri.iff
collar 4 = wishbone/bracketed... ex Warriors uh029... Lakers uh015... cloth_wishbone.iff
collar 5 = tight round... ...classic_u.iff
collar 6 = tight parabola or V... ...classic_v.iff

shorts...cloth_shorts.iff
retro shorts...short shorts...cloth_retro_shorts.iff

Cloth Files

Cloth files can be viewed using the NBA 2K Mod Tool. These can be used to view your jerseys and shorts while you are creating or editing uniforms. Each cloth IFF file uses different sub textures so you'll have to do a little experimenting. I'll use the cloth_v.iff as an example. This IFF file will display any jersey using the collar type 1 (JModel 1 in jersey tab using REDitorII).

1) Open Windows Explorer and go to your default NBA 2K12 folder. Copy cloth_v.iff to a temporary folder. I made a NBA 2K12 Editing folder.
2) Using the NBA2K2 Mod Tool open this file. Click on the sub texture 0 (zero). You should now see a 3D white jersey spinning in the window.
3) Now you have to import your jersey you are editing/designing/just looking at. These have to be DDS files. I never work on a jersey that is in the NBA2K 12 folder. Copy a file, such as uh015.iff to a temporary folder and work on the copy so you don't mess up the original. Extract (ExportRes) the jersey texture as a DDS file. uh015.dds for example. Edit this file using your graphic editor or do nothing if you just want to view it. Click on 'LoadTexture'. The window should show your selected jersey. Click on 'Rotation' to stop the spinning. Click and hold and drag to manually rotate the jersey. Mouse Wheel zooms in/out. You can now verify the correct logo placement and sizing plus any alignment issues with stripes especially around the legs.
4) If you are designing a uniform you can edit it and reload the updated texture. There is one issue. Windows (XP and 7 for me) does not allow you to save your DDS file because the Mod Tool is using it. This also happens if you try to delete a file or folder that is being used by another program. Download and install Unlocker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlocker (info and d/l location) Use this program to unlock your DDS file. Right click on the DDS file and select Unlocker. You may have to allow it to function due to administrator rights. Unlock all of the files. Save your DDS file and verify your edits. Repeat every time you want to save the DDS file.
5) Other sub textures in the cloth_v.iff file are used by the game for different body types. Thin, medium or fat. I use the medium one.
6) Other collar styles have an associated cloth file. See the chart above. Shorts can also be viewed. Retro (Classic) jerseys and retro shorts can be viewed by copying the files in your default folder.
7) Other IFF files may be used in this manner for editing other objects. I used it to edit a referee uniform in 2011 but it did have some mapping issues.

Uniform Editing, DDS files
name............texture...............alpha channel...........mipmaps
jersey...........DXT5..................yes...........................9
shorts...........DXT5..................yes..........................9
warmups.......DXT1..................no............................9
green jersey..DXT5..................yes...........................9
green shorts..DXT5.................yes...........................9

Ball Editing

You can edit nbaball.iff or ababall.iff to create your own basketball.

texture 0.....DXT5.....alpha channel.....actual ball
texture 1.....DXT5.....alpha channel.....green ball
texture 2.....DXT5.....alpha channel.....ball color
texture 3.....DXT5.....alpha channel.....green texture (pebble grain)
Last edited by Bassman58 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bassman58

Re: NBA 2K12 editing tips by Bassman58

Postby chicagoRAW on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:37 am

If you can make videos to go along with your instructions that would be great. Some of us are visual learners, too many words, toooo many words!!! :P
chicagoRAW

Return to NBA 2K12 Tutorials & FAQs