Complete Guide to an improved NBA 2K12

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K12 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Complete Guide to an improved NBA 2K12

Postby Leftos on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Could be completely outdated by now. If you don't see your work listed here, post a reply and I'll get it in ASAP.

Another year of basketball gaming on our PCs, another year of modding, another year of fun. Let's see what we have!

Before we start
If you're a modder or an NBA 2K12 gamer and you see something missing (your mod thread, some game info), please reply or PM me, and I'll make sure to add it to the list ASAP. Also, if you want a description added next to a mod of yours, feel free to tell me and I'll add it.

I have questions regarding the game!
Make sure to look at the General NBA 2K12 FAQ first, then read on!

What files has 2K updated so far? Do I really need to use Keep My Mod?
Besides the Roster, which 2K updates more or less regularly, and the new shoes it adds regularly as well, the files that have been updated are in this thread.
Installing mods for the above files the regular way (overwriting the files in the installation directory) won't work anymore, as the game won't use them, and will always use 2K's updates instead. If you want to use your mods for these files instead of the official updates, you'll need to force them on the game using Keep My Mod.

So, how do I improve my NBA 2K12 experience?
Thankfully, unlike Console editions of the game, the PC edition has an energetic and always active modding community. So here's the rundown of what you can find in NLSC to improve your game.

NBA 2K12 Mods
Upvote your favorite modders and mods, get them higher in each category!
More info here.

Rosters
The base for a good experience. You need the latest and greatest rosters, which usually include the latest transfers, updated ratings, coach profiles, skills, rotations, signature moves, etc. Here's what we have:

Partial Roster Updates
Signature shots, accessories, tattoo setups, and all the other smaller roster updates that can be implemented in any roster, even yours!
Signature Shots
Accessories

Sliders
Nearly every variable that affects the gameplay can be edited and adjusted to your liking. Specific slider sets try to either achieve more realistic stats, better gameplay, gameplay that's more fun, or any combination of the above.

Draft Classes
Get realistic future rookies for your Association!
  • Leon40's Draft Classes - scroll below the arena mods to get to them
  • Nictional Draft Classes - includes a very detailed 2012 draft class, as well as fictional ones carefully crafted for association mode, including cyberfaces for the players

Superglobals
The Global file contains textures, settings and models used everywhere in the game, such as skin textures for the players, specific game icons, etc. Superglobals combine several modders' work on many fronts into one file, so check out each superglobal's feature list to see what updates you're getting with it.

Global additions
Mods that you can import into your global file, if you're using the default 2K global, or a superglobal that doesn't have this specific mod.

Cyberfaces
Cyberfaces are the players' faces' models, as well as face and body textures. Although 2K does a modest job providing good cyberfaces for most players, the modding community amazes us every year with its work on this front. Take a look!

Player Portraits
Just like the name says, these mods update and add new player portraits into the game. Look for the player portraits mod that's compatible with the modded roster you downloaded for the best experience.

Arenas
Get the latest and most realistic arenas for your favorite teams ...or the whole league while you're at it!

Partial Arena Updates
Some modders are good at some stuff, some are better at other stuff. These modders know their work in a specific part of the Arenas, and offer these updates separately.

Jerseys
Jerseys are as important to the game as coffee is to a good breakfast of mine. And in Clark Kellog's words, "DON'T MISS BREAKFAST!"

Shoes
You're going on the court wearing THAT? You can't be serious. Here's some better shoes for you to select from.

UI & Overlay
Every mod that tries to improve on the game's user interface and overlays should be here!
Full Network Mods
Scoreboards
Icons & Logos

ENB Shadow & Color Mods
Realistic ENB mods try to offer crisper colors and improved shadows throughout the game, but you can find ENB mods for any taste, such as cel-shaded ENB mods, classic TV ENB mods (for black & white gameplay), etc.

Miscellaneous
Mods that don't fit into any other category will be put here. They're the last -but not least- mods! You have to check them out!

Total Conversions
Total Conversions are mods that change the game's core, by either completely replacing the roster (NCAA, FIBA, Euroleague, etc), arenas (Street), jerseys, etc. They should provide you with a whole new gameplay experience, if you ever get bored of the NBA or just want to try something new.

Tools
From the beginner to the expert, modders need tools. If you want to get into modding or want to find that missing tool that does the job you wanted, look here!
  • Complete list of Tools for NBA 2K12 - a list compiled by JaoSming, one of the people running the place, that holds all the available tools
  • JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler - a tool that allows you to enable and disable mods, keep backups of your original files automatically when installing a mod, keep mod profiles, and other related features
  • Leftos' NBA Stats Tracker - a team stat tracker & analyzer for NBA 2K12, the real NBA league and any custom league you want; with features such as stat averages and rankings, scout reports, head-to-head comparisons, CSV exports, and more; also offers a donation version that works around this year's Team Stats bug in Association and other careers, that will become free in late February to early March
Last edited by Leftos on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 am, edited 31 times in total.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Beginner's Guide to an improved NBA 2K12

Postby Leon40 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Good initiative Leftos, I encourage NLSC community to PM you or reply to complete this list.
NBA 2K11
Stadiums, Jumbotrons and Dornas : viewtopic.php?f=136&t=78569
NBA 2K12
Stadiums, Jumbotrons and Dornas : viewtopic.php?f=143&t=83723

Leon40

Postby z_dize on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:49 pm

this needs to be stickied.. :D
z_dize

Postby JaoSming on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:59 pm

z_dize wrote:this needs to be stickied.. :D

indeed, great stuff

Although, I would start a "Total Conversion" section and put the NLSC Roster in there (instead of in the rosters section) along with APB, Street, and the other released TC mods.

Great list though, and something that should have been done every year, thank you (Y) (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Angelo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Thank for doing this leftos
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 am

Added JSGME to the tools, and added a Total Conversions section with NBA Street, APB and NLSC. If there's a Total Conversion that's completed and I haven't added it, please tell me.

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby rotchild on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:20 am

Nice initiative Leftos, thanks a lot! :applaud:
rotchild

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 am

this is the other TC available - 2K12 All-Time All-Stars
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby momentousceltic on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:40 am

I would rep you if I could. Thanks.
momentousceltic

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 am

momentousceltic, rotchild, thank you very much!

JaoSming, added that one as well, thanks.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 am

Added Sliders section. If there are any sliders in NLSC with or without discussion threads, point me to them.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:03 am

all slider discussion is confined to this thread - viewtopic.php?f=141&t=82755
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:09 am

Why is that Jao? There's so many different Slider sets to try out and so many different playstyles out there, that confining all discussion about all possible play styles and sliders and outcomes to one thread doesn't seem so practical.

Each set of sliders deserves a separate thread, like it is on Operation Sports, if you ask me, because it's the result of a person's individual work, represents a certain playstyle that they want to achieve, and they should be able to get comments and impressions in their own thread, just like any modder.

Imagine having the discussion about 5 different slider sets created by 5 different slider creators, some trying to achieve realistic gameplay, others just realistic stats, and others gameplay that's just fun, all in the same thread!

Sliders shouldn't get a separate thread only if they're part of another mod (a roster or a total conversion). Sliders are mods themselves, as in they modify the game's experience.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:22 am

indeed, but its the way things have just kinda always been. Personally I don't have a problem with people releasing full slider sets in releases threads but most slider discussion is "what should I have for slider A, B, C, etc" not asking for a full set.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 am

Oh okay, fine then. General slider discussion like "what's the best value for slider A and B" can be kept in a single thread. You scared me, I thought NLSC had a rule against separate threads for different slider sets. :P

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:17 am

Funny, no mention of the loose ball , over the back foul created when a player is shooting a outside shot or 3 pointer. That is a horrible bug that needs to be addressed.
Uncle Drew

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:20 am

Hmmm? Have a video of that one? Haven;t noticed it.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Sixers85 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:45 am

wow, a great " compendium"
Sixers85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mr.Wednesday on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks Leftos, great job!
Mr.Wednesday

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 am

This is awesome.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nick on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 am

Great post!

Just make sure you only have the best of the best in there. (Y) Then we can all trust it.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Onisak on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:54 am

Very nice and helpfull post!!! (Y) (Y)
Onisak

Postby nosanti on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:56 am

Thanks !!!!
Sorry for my english
nosanti

Postby RR on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:47 am

Well done!

Nick wrote:Just make sure you only have the best of the best in there. (Y) Then we can all trust it.

I second that.
RR

Postby Leftos on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:56 am

I don't agree with that necessarily guys. NLSC is a community that offers equal opportunities to all modders. If I keep the ones I think are best of the best, I'd be discriminating against other modders who will in turn get less views to their threads, less comments, less constructive criticism. Every modder started somewhere, and nobody was perfect from day 1, so my perspective is if the community is giving them a chance, I should give them a chance too.

This isn't meant as a Top 10 of everything list, this is meant as an index of every 2K12 modder and their work. And an index doesn't discriminate.

And by the way, a best of the best list would require voting or else it would be left up to someone's subjective taste. No good for such a thread.

If someone wants to create a "My Recommended Mods for NBA 2K12", go ahead.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Next

Return to NBA 2K12 Modding