[Tool] NBA Stats Tracker

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K12 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker (Watch for nightlies)

Postby Leftos on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:13 pm

First of all,

viewtopic.php?p=1463729#p1463729

and

viewtopic.php?p=1467471#p1467471.

As I've said in both these posts, 2K12 compatibility is a mixed issue that will be resolved once Vlad decodes the Team Stats tables for REditor. Modes are different Team Orders for Season 1 so that you can try and see if there is one that works for your save.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:39 pm

OKay, I'll just wait then. thank you again for your awesome mod. (Y)
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:19 am

And to whet your appetite a bit more...

As you can see, each stat has its ranking between all players in the league, players in the same team, as well as players in the same position. Eat that 2K.

(Once I import a Player Stats table from REditor this is going to make WAY much more sense. :P)

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Vl@d Zola Jr. on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:03 am

each stat has its ranking between all players in the league, players in the same team, as well as players in the same position.

Yeah, that's definitely a good idea! (Y)
Vl@d Zola Jr.
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Leftos on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 am

I've just uploaded today's nightly (20120429-3). It has a basic implementation of Players. It will allow you to create them, edit them, make them inactive (Free Agency or no longer in the league), make them active again (like a free agency signing), edit their stats and calculate averages and rankings, as well as supports keeping multiple seasons worth of stats.

Box Scores aren't implemented yet as far as Players go, I'll start working on them next thing. So trying to limit the timeframe of the player stats won't work, only All-Time works for now. Also, I haven't implemented any tabs other than Overview in the Player Overview screen. You can, however, see all the players of a team in a glance (and batch edit them) in the Player Stats tab of the Team Overview screen.

EDIT: God I need to go to sleep. Nightly 20120429-4 uploaded. Now when you switch seasons while in Player Overview, the tool tries to find the player in the team they were in that season (or in the inactive list). If it finds them, it switches correctly to show the player in their new team. If it doesn't find them, it shows nothing. This is really useful as players tend to switch teams between seasons, and also you may have created a player or two during seasons after the first one, that weren't there in the first one. (In 2K, for example, players being created in later seasons from Draft Classes.) Or, you may have switched them to inactive, due to them being a free agent or retiring.

EDIT 2: It's possible to "trade" a player, it's just not that obvious (once I write the documentation, it will be). You just have to select them in the Player Overview screen, make them inactive, save, make them active, save again, and you'll be asked to pick a team to sign the player to.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:37 pm

I already got it to work on my first game but after importing the stats from 2nd game, it stopped working.
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Can you explain what you mean by that exactly? It "stopped working"?

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Tue May 01, 2012 6:03 am

Tonight's nightly (20120430-2) is out.

• Box Scores have been updated to include player stats. I know it takes a lot of time to enter it all, but in the end it should provide much deeper analysis for each Player and the whole league. Also, this means that whenever you view a saved box score, the player stats from that game are loaded as well. Everything, both team and player stats can be edited in the Box Score screen and the box score updated.
  • With the above feature introduced, now you can automatically calculate the team box scores from the player box scores.
  • Note that it is NOT required to enter any player stats from the box score. You can still keep track of only Team box scores, or just a few players that you want to watch (like your team's players for example, or favorite players around the league). You can always go back and add or edit any information in a previously saved box score if you didn't enter everything. However, the feature that automatically adds the box score to the stats only works the first time you enter that box score, not when you edit it later.
  • Double-clicking on a player in the Player Stats tab in Team Overview now takes you to their Player Overview screen.
  • The arrows in the Team & Player switchers in the Player Overview window should now work as intended.

Trust me, it's not as simple as it sounds. Yesterday I worked on NST for 12 hours, while today it's been about 9 to 10 hours worth of programming.

As always, you can download the nightly and try the features out, and come back to report any bugs.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Tue May 01, 2012 7:34 am

I appreciate your work man. Thanks. I just want to know if this is already compatible to any new save?
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Tue May 01, 2012 10:04 am

AreaOfEffect wrote:I appreciate your work man. Thanks. I just want to know if this is already compatible to any new save?

Trust me, it'll be BIG news when full 2K12 compatibility hits, and you'll know it. I'll make it EXTREMELY obvious. Right now, I can't give you any ETA. I can only tell you that Vlad himself confirmed in the REditor thread that he's working on Team Stats, and we have plans for a special cooperation between NST and REditor.

What you're seeing right now is me working on NST as a tool independently of NBA 2K. However, every feature is designed and thought through to be compatible with NBA 2K when the time comes. Once NST is done, we'll have a much better tool to analyze our Associations and favorite leagues we want to keep track of. And it'll work for 2K13, 2K14, 2K whatever, as soon as Vlad finishes REditor each year.

The only reason 2K compatibility is still an issue, is that Vlad never had a really good reason to actually work on decoding the Team Stats from the save files, because never before had we such a big bug in them to take care of. The mere fact is that NST began as a workaround to fixing just that specific bug. Then I got more and more ideas. I thought, hey, I've decoded the Team Stats, so why don't I do more with that? Get averages, get rankings, get scouting reports. Then people said "boy it'd be great if that worked with other leagues", and then I created the custom leagues feature. The custom league feature was an afterthought, a secondary feature. The tool's main purpose was still to handle 2K saves and fix the stats.

But then ideas just kept coming to me. Ideas of what "NBA 2K12 Correct Team Stats" could be come. A full-fledged basketball analysis tool. Where every data table could be translated into a nice scouting report if you didn't have the time to go through the numbers. Where you could keep track of opponents' stats and, using a mobile app, you could download these reports to your phone, click on an opponent's name that you need some tips on, and get his scouting report. How good he is offensively. What are his defensive weaknesses. Whether he was injured lately. How many games he missed.

And then it hit me. Our NBA 2K associations are nothing more than another "custom league" the tool has to handle. So when Vlad told me he would get on decoding the Team Stats, and that with his help I no longer had to worry about 2K compatibility (since REditor would act as an intermediate between NST and the 2K saves), I presented my idea to a university teacher of mine, and got the tool to become my thesis.

And here we are. Nearly a week after I started working on the new NBA Stats Tracker, and now we have support for Player Stats, full Box Scores including players, and there's still more to come. Players will get the full treatment Teams have, with split stats, stats before and after a trade in a year, best performances, metric stats, head-to-head comparisons with other players. Teams will get a best performers screen where you'll be able to scout your opponent's most dangerous players based on both their season stats as well as their most recent ones. Nearly every screen on NST will have a Scouting Report for it in natural language. We'll get full 2K compatibility, courtesy of Vlad. And when all this is done, if you're a real coach (or just like to show off to friends), you'll be able to upload your NST stats and reports to the cloud and download everything to your mobile.

So, the TL;DR version is this: No, 2K compatibility is not there yet, but it'll be there in its full glory soon. And along with it, will be one of the best tools you've ever used for NBA 2K, as well as a great solution to keep track of any basketball league you want.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Bulls#1 on Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for the effort that you have done for this tool man I appreciate it (Y) :wink:
Bulls#1

Postby Leftos on Tue May 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Issues & Suggestions
Besides the forum, there's a more "organized" place to place your issues and suggestions, the NBA Stats Tracker Issue Tracker at Bitbucket. It'd really help me if you participated. Try to follow these rules:
  • Check if your issue is already reported before opening a new report.
  • Try to be as descriptive as possible. If opening a bug report, include the circumstances and if you can reproduce it and how. If opening a crash report, include the errorlog; the tool should tell you where to find it.
Link: https://bitbucket.org/leftos/nba-stats-tracker/issues

UPDATE: When viewing timeframe-limited player stats, you can compare the player's averages to the team's ones for the same games. Note that this doesn't take into account the games that don't have a box score for the player. Even if the player is out injured, it's recommended that you create a box score for them and check the "Out" column.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Wed May 02, 2012 12:26 am

After entering the box score, when i click ok, nothing happens.

EDIT: And the stats from my association is already bugged(69 reb/g 60 ast/g) how can i correct it ? :D
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 am

Today's nightly is out (20120501-2).

Player Overview now has Box Scores and Split Stats. Also the Timeframe options work now for Players as well. Fixed a bug from last night's nightly that made the OK button in the Box Scores dialog do nothing.

AreaOfEffect, fixed that bug, told you via PM. As for the messed up stats, if you followed the instructions I gave you, you should have a database saved from right before the game. So you load that database, update it with the box score of the game you just played, save the database, and click on Export to 2K12 Save. If you do this for every game from the beginning of your Association, you shouldn't have messed up stats.

If however you forgot to do this as I said, you'll need to calculate the total team stats from each box score and correct the stats yourself. You just import, save, correct via Team Overview (saving each team before switching to the next one), and export.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Wed May 02, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks for fixing it. But after updating it with the latest box score, it would increase my team record right(win-loss)? and by doing it for every game from the beginning of my association, it will double the real win-loss record of every team?

EDIT:tried correcting it via team overview, so after entering the total assist, then save this season stat and recalculate, export, load save, but my assist per game is still 63
Last edited by AreaOfEffect on Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AreaOfEffect

Postby Vl@d Zola Jr. on Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 am

Huh, mate, i wish, REDitor was my thesis as well, so i wouldn't needed to share my time between it and my thesis project )))
Really amazing progress you're making from day to day! ;)
Vl@d Zola Jr.
Contributor
Contributor

Postby AreaOfEffect on Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am

AreaOfEffect wrote:Thanks for fixing it. But after updating it with the latest box score, it would increase my team record right(win-loss)? and by doing it for every game from the beginning of my association, it will double the real win-loss record of every team?

EDIT:tried correcting it via team overview, so after entering the total assist, then save this season stat and recalculate, export, load save, but my assist per game is still 63

EDIT2: got it to work. by not importing the save first but exporting it right away
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 am

AreaOfEffect wrote:Thanks for fixing it. But after updating it with the latest box score, it would increase my team record right(win-loss)? and by doing it for every game from the beginning of my association, it will double the real win-loss record of every team?

Box scores can either be added to the Team Stats, or just saved in the database for future reference. There's a checkbox at the bottom left corner of the Box score screen that allows you to just enter a box score but leave Team Stats untouched.

As I've said however, fixing a 2K12 save doesn't work that way. You either add the box scores yourself manually (on paper or excel or whatever) and edit the Team Overview of each team (note that not only your team, but any opponents you play against get stat corruption), or start a new Association and update with the box score after each game with the method I've told you.

I've said it time and time again, fixing an Association that's already started can't be done with just a few box scores. You need to correct all the teams that are corrupted by manually adding the box scores yourself outside of the tool, and then editing the Team Stats in the Team Overview screen. If you used the tool from Day 1 of your Association and followed my tutorial (import and save a database after saving the association before the game, update with the box score after the game, export to the save), you wouldn't have any problems.

If you follow my instructions, there's a key difference between what you're saying.
You're NOT supposed to import the stats AFTER the game ends and then update with the box score. You're supposed to have kept the stats saved BEFORE the game started, so that you can update THOSE stats with your box score. The end result is the same Win-Loss record, but correct stats.

So if you're 15-11 and you win, you go to 16-11. Now you have the saved database when you were 15-11, and the 2K12 save where you're 16-11, but with corrupted stats. So you open the saved database from the 15-11, update with the box score, so now you're 16-11 in the database too, but with correct stats. So you export THAT to your 2K12 save.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Wed May 02, 2012 8:50 am

Yeah thanks and i already said too that i got it too work.

edit: Im just wondering, how come the other teams that i dont played against yet also have corrupted stats?
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Wed May 02, 2012 9:01 am

Corrupted stats occur for any match you enter (that is play or watch either to the end or simulating at some part of it). If you skip a match by simulating, or if the AI simulates it without you entering it at all, it shouldn't cause the team to get corrupt stats.

If teams that you haven't played yet have corrupt stats, that means that maybe you exported a team's corrupt stats (that you didn't correct) to the wrong team. That can happen if you sent me an incorrect list via PM, or if you started a new Association instead of starting the copy of the one you made the list with after simulating a month.

All these incompatibility problems will be gone once Vlad is done. You won't have to worry about Modes or making lists for me so that I can make a mode for you or donating or whatever.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby AreaOfEffect on Wed May 02, 2012 9:10 am

I see. I also noticed that the difference is only like 2 rebs or 1 turnover, so i dont know if i should also correct that. Okay, thanks for your hardwork! (Y) (Y)
AreaOfEffect

Postby Leftos on Wed May 02, 2012 9:14 am

AreaOfEffect wrote:I see. I also noticed that the difference is only like 2 rebs or 1 turnover, so i dont know if i should also correct that. Okay, thanks for your hardwork! (Y) (Y)

When adding up box scores myself, I've also noticed those kinds of small miscalculations in other teams (non-corrupted ones), but the difference was minimal, and as the season goes by, +- 10 turnovers out of 1200 won't matter that much. You can correct those as well if you want, but the difference is marginal in absolute numbers, and almost unnoticeable in the stat overlays that show averages.

Vl@d Zola Jr., thanks for your kind words as always, and thanks for all the work you're still putting into REDitor.

Tomorrow's nightly if all goes well will have Head-To-Head and Yearly Stats for Players, League Leaders for League, and I'll start work on Metric Stats, hopefully getting as many in there as I can. I'm using http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html as a reference for the Metric Stats formulas, but if someone knows another page I can use, feel free to help.

Also, please take a moment and give me your opinion on this.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] NBA Stats Tracker 0.10 (First Public Beta Release

Postby Leftos on Thu May 03, 2012 8:29 am

Finally, after 9 days (or about 100 hours) of hard work, I can finally release the first public beta of the new NBA Stats Tracker. Sure, NBA 2K12 compatibility is the one thing you're most waiting for and it's not here yet, but you can try out the rest of the features so we can get the tool as stable and good as possible when 2K12 compatibility lands in its full glory.

The full changelog since v0.8 is as follows:
  • Change: The program now uses SQLite 3 databases instead of the custom binary format
  • Change: Massive UI overhaul, more details below
  • Added: Team Overview screen; all statistics can be limited to a specific timeframe if the required box scores are available
    • Overview: View and edit your team's stats; limit them to a timeframe and see your opponents' stats against you during that time
    • Split Stats: See how a team's performing when winning or losing, at home or away, during the regular season or the playoffs, as well as its monthly progress
    • Player Stats: See an overview of the stats of all the team's players
    • Box Scores: View any team's box scores in an easy to search table
    • Head-To-Head: Compare your team to any other team; compare stats against the league, as well as each other
    • Yearly Report: Compare the team's averages over multiple seasons
  • Added: Player Overview screen
    • Overview: View and edit a player's stats and other info
    • Split Stats: Player performance on wins and losses, home and away, season and playoffs, monthly progress, as well as on each team they played (before/after trade)
    • Box Scores: View all box scores that this player is in
    • Head-To-Head: Compare any two players in their games against the league, as well as against each other
  • Added: League Overview screen
    • Team Stats: Similar to the 2K Team Stats table, a full overview of the league team averages in a sortable table
    • Playoff Stats: As above, but limited to teams in the playoffs
    • League Leaders: See the leading players in the league and their averages (uses NBA rules on whether a player is eligible for inclusion)
    • Player Stats: All players, all stats, no rules
    • Box Scores: An overview of all box scores saved around the league
  • Added: Box Scores can now be edited after the initial creation
  • Added: Box Scores now require a Season number as well as the date the game took place; you can also differentiate between regular season and playoff games for the split stats
  • Added: Double-clicking on a team, player or box-score in any table in the tool takes you to the respective screen for further analysis and edits
  • Added: Tool now keeps track of stats over multiple seasons; Team Stats, Playoff Stats, Player Stats and Box Scores are all preserved between seasons, and you can switch to any season's stats easily

Still to come
  • Full NBA 2K12 compatibility, courtesy of Vlad Zola Jr.
  • Metric Stats (Team Overview, League Overview)
  • Best Performers in Team Overview
  • Best Performers Head-To-Head in Team Overview
  • Scouting Reports for nearly every screen in NST
  • Customisable League Leaders rules
  • Mobile app for Windows Phone 7 with cloud syncing, to have your stats and scouting reports on the go

As always, don't hesitate to give me your suggestions and bug reports.

Thanks for all your support.

UPDATE: Great news. I've found a way that will allow you to copy ANY of the tool's tables (in Team/Player/League Overview & Box Scores) WITH the column headers. That way you can easily create a spreadsheet out of the data, save it to CSV or any format, and include it in your Association blogs. Then, you can easily present your Association's Box Scores, Stats/Averages/Rankings, Split Stats, Head-To-Head comparisons, everything.

I think I've just made your life that much more easier, Association bloggers. ;) :D

UPDATE 2: If you previously followed the beta download link for the New NST, you were led to an older nightly. The link is now fixed to point to the v0.10 installer. Make sure you're downloading "[Leftos] NBA Stats Tracker 0.10.exe".

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] NBA Stats Tracker 0.10.1

Postby Leftos on Fri May 04, 2012 6:32 am

v0.10.1 beta is released!

The changes:
  • All the tables in the tool (Team/Player/League Overview & Box Scores) support copying to the clipboard; when you do, the table's column names (headers) are included as well.

Box Scores in particular, have a special Copy button in their window, which copies both Player (if any) & Team Stats to the clipboard.

The resulting text is in Tab-Separated Values format, supported by Excel and many other spreadsheet editors for pasting into.

=============================

v0.10.1.2 beta is released!

The changes:
  • Various improvements and fixes in the Box Score dialog regarding stat calculation as well as copying to clipboard.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] NBA Stats Tracker 0.10.1.2

Postby aguifs on Fri May 04, 2012 8:41 am

So fast! :bowdown:
aguifs

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K12 Modding