[Tool] NBA Stats Tracker

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K12 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Re: [Tool] Correct Team Stats v0.6.1.4 (Scout-CSV-CustomLeag

Postby Onisak on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 am

Ok will do :).
Onisak

Postby anastasis16 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:46 am

thank you man :applaud:
anastasis16

Postby Onisak on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 am

Ok so I found the problem but I don't know why it happens... I start a new association and I play the first game, then when I load association save in the tool my tem has one win and some random stats to start with before I eaven play the first game... Do you have any idea why it does that? I think that is why I have these compatibility issues, because in game the record of the team is 0-0 at the start and in the tool the record is 1-0 to start with... Any ideas? So after I finish the game and let say loose the record in game will be 0-1 and in the updated stats tool it will be 1-1, because I already have one game played before I started the first one in reality...
Onisak

Postby Leftos on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:10 am

Whaaaaaaaat?

Please send me that save file. I have to take a look at it.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Onisak on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 am

Ok just a moment...
Onisak

Postby Onisak on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?pve7irp4b46361p ---> save file of association

As you can see if you load the association in the tool it will say that I have already played one game and there will be some imaginary stats and I havent played the game yet... :)
Onisak

Postby Leftos on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:31 am

I should've known it wouldn't be this easy. Apparently, the game orders the teams differently inside the save, depending on which team you choose.

-sigh-

The solution to all this would be for someone to help me determine where the offsets for each team are, so that I can read those and make the tool compatible with any Association.

The only good news I can give you right now is that there seems to be a pattern to this. For example, you start with the Bucks and your first opponent is Spurs. I start with the Pistons and my first opponent is the Pacers.

If you take a look, you'll see that those four teams are reversed in pairs. For example, the game that's been added to the Bucks and the Spurs to your save, is actually the Pacers-Pistons game. All the other teams seem to be in the same order.

So, if that's the only thing that's changed, I'll only have to ask the user what team they picked and who's their first opponent, and the tool will be working again.

If it ends up being more complex than that, the tool will have to be taken down until I get help with finding the team offsets.

I'll edit this post if I find out anything else.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Onisak on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:37 am

2K sports makes it quite complicated :). Thank you really for looking in to this and I hope that you will figure something out sooner or later... By the way, a big thanks for the miracle jersey's it looks great! (Y) (Y) :bowdown: :bowdown:
Onisak

Re: [Tool] [Not Working] Correct Team Stats v0.6.1.4

Postby Leftos on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:23 am

Message removed. Read first post for news.
Last edited by Leftos on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [Help Needed] Correct Team Stats v0.6.1.4

Postby Leftos on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Message removed. Read first post for news.
Last edited by Leftos on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [In Development] Correct Team Stats

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:13 am

Testers needed.

I've created a test release of the tool with some changes that hopefully will help you help me figure the team order out.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?qb34k6n5xbwk6wr

What I want you to do is:
1. Download the test release, install it.
2. Start NBA 2K12, load your favorite roster, start a new Association, any draft class you want, simulate a few games (half a month, a month, etc.)
3. Save the Association.

Bored already?
4. Send me the association, along with the roster you used, and also send me as much of below information as you can:
- Do you have the EU or the US release?
- Control Panel > Regional Settings > Standards and Formats, what does the box say?
- Download JSGME, install it in your NBA 2K12 folder, start it, click on Tasks, click on generate snapshot of game files. Wait until it's complete and send me the snapshot. (It should be inside your NBA 2K12 installation directory, in a MODS subfolder.)

Want to help some more?
5. Go to NBA.com > Statistics > Team Stats.
6. Without exiting the game, start the tool. Load your saved Association in it.
7. If you're asked for a mode, select the first one.
8. See if the stats the tool reports are the same as the screen in the game, or if some teams have their stats mixed up. (It could be easier if you exported the stats to CSV and imported them in Excel)
9. If the stats are okay for all teams, tell me which mode worked for you.
10. If they aren't ok, click on Erase Settings and reload your save in the tool, this time choosing another mode. See if that works.
11. Repeat until you find a mode that works for you, or until you've tried all modes and none worked. Report this to me.

The more people that help, the faster I'll be able to figure this one out and make the tool compatible with everyone's Season 1.

EDIT: I've had some help, and it seems that the same person creating two Associations at different times ends up with a different team order. I can't find what causes this, I can't explain it. The only solution now is to find where in the save is the information the game uses to know the team order. And that could take a really long time, as all my attempts have proved unsuccessful. If Vlad can't find that either in February, let's just hope that 2K brings a spring patch with the team stats issue resolved.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [Dev] Correct Team Stats (Donation version availa

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:18 am

I've given up on fixing this by myself. We'll see if we can get it working with every Association no matter the team or Season in February with Vlad. Until then, the tool's download link has been restored for those that want to try out if it works for them or use its features for Custom Leagues. If you still want the tool to work with your Association that much, read the notice in the first post on donation versions.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Test release v0.6.3 out.
Until I figure out what causes all the different team orders, I thought I'd add some more features for when we figure out the required offsets and it's compatible with all associations.

v0.6.3 is the second "in development" release for those that want to experiment and see if it works for them or use it in Custom Leagues.

It introduces the Versus window, which allows you to compare two teams' averages side-by-side.

Screenshots

Sure, this may not excite you at all if the tool is not compatible with your Associations; but the donation version offer still stands, and you could get a custom-made Correct Team Stats tool compatible with up to 3 Associations of yours for just $2! See the first post of the thread for more information.

EDIT: The screenshot is from the current release, but in the next one the window will be much narrower, removing all the wasted white-space between the columns, and making the stats easier to compare.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Q: So how does the tool really work?
and/or
Q: I'm a person who knows his way around hex editing. What should I be looking for to help you?

Here's a nice big post on how this tool works, and what the problem is.

So, NBA 2K12 keeps the Team Stats (that you can see in the NBA.com > Statistics > Team Stats) in neat 40 byte tables. Here's the first one in any Season 1 save, starting from Hex Address 0x00317254.

The order of the stats in each team is like this:
Wins (single byte)
Losses (single byte)
Minutes played (double byte, everything below is too)
PF
PA
Hex 00 00
FGM
FGA
3PM
3PA
FTM
FTA
OREB
DREB
STL
TO
BLK
AST
FOUL
Hex 01 00

The tool works based on these tables to show you the stats, get you averages, scouting reports and allow you to update them. I don't know where the Box Scores are kept in the save, and it would probably be too much trouble to extract them.

So here's the problem.

The tool assumes that the order of the Teams in those tables (Team 0, Team 1, etc.) is preset, and never changes. At least, that was the original assumption. And that's what went wrong. Although in my original Association on which I was testing the tool Team 0 were the Nuggets, Team 1 the Trail Blazers, Team 2 the Pacers, etc, that order proved not to be something standard, but something that is determined somehow when the Association is created.

So in Onisak's save, for example, Team 2 weren't the Pacers, but the Bucks. Team 3 weren't the Pistons, but the Spurs. So when he loaded his save in the tool, the Bucks' stats were in the Pacers' ones in the tool, and the Spurs' stats were in the Pistons' ones in the tool, and that problem was there for 6 more teams. The problem worked both ways. If you updated the Pistons stats in the tool, you'd be in reality updating the Spurs' stats in-game.

When I created another save later on, the team order was again different than my older save, different than Onisak's save. So I thought I'd test what sets the team order like that. Rosters? Nope. Tried 3 different ones. Draft Class? Nope. EU/US version? Nope. System Locale? Nope.

I'm out of ideas. The same person creating two Associations at a different time could get a different Team Order in their save for no reason at all. I'm sure the game has one, but it's not telling me easy.

EDIT: The only time the game makes it easy to guess what the Team Order is, is during the first Playoffs. The teams in the save are in the opposite order of the teams in the playoff tree in the first round. So if the bottom team of the East are the 76ers and the team above them is the Heat, then during the playoffs, Team 0 will be the 76ers, and Team 1 will be the Heat. Continue reading the East's column upwards, and then start from the bottom of the West's column, and upwards.

In any Career file that isn't just Playoffs (Association, Season, My Player, Create A Legend), Team 0's stats during the first playoffs begin 1440 bytes earlier in the save than Team 0's first season stats. The other 15 teams follow every 40 bytes, in a continuous block.

EDIT 2: Team 0 season offsets depending on type of Career:
Association, Season: 0x317254
My Player: 0x575374
Playoffs: 0x1BAA24

Q: So, what should we be looking for? What's going to solve this?

I'm glad you asked. The game has to know in which order the team stats are saved, otherwise it would mix them up itself too. But since it knows which stats are for each team and in each save this data is different, it means that this data is in the Saves somewhere. Somewhere in the save there's a list that tells the game where to look for the Nuggets' stats, where for the Knicks' ones, where for the Bulls' ones, etc. It's not absolute offsets, as I've tried searching for Hex 31 72 54 and even 31 72 52 and also 54 72 31, none of which worked. So it must be relative offsets. Somewhere in the file there's other info about the Nuggets, and there's some bytes that tell the game that for the Nuggets' team stats, it has to look (for example) 125042 bytes later in the file. Same for the other teams. There must be some place where these relative offsets are. And if we discover them and can link them to each team, then the tool can do that as well, and be compatible with any Association, any team order.

Q: What about the Season 2 and later problem? What's that about?

Oh, yes. That one. Apparently, the game likes to keep previous years' stats in the position they were in, and write the current year's stats somewhere else. So in a rough sketch, this is how the game works:

Season 1
.........................................................Season 1 Team Stats (current)......................

Season 2
..........Season 2 Team Stats (current)............Season 1 Team Stats.................................

Season 3
..........Season 2 Team Stats.......................Season 1 Team Stats.......Season 3 TS (current).

And after Season 1, the Team Stats aren't in a continuous 30x40 byte block (30 teams x 40 bytes for each team's stats), but they're broken up, so we have a continuous 3 team block, then some other game data, then a continuous 5 team block, then some other data, etc. And of course, the Team Order is again different.

So, only way to solve this, is to find the relative offsets I mentioned, because those, again, tell the game where to look for the team's current team stats in the save.

If we find those offsets, then the tool will always know where to look for each team's current stats, and be compatible with any Association, any team, any season year.

Vlad has promised to help with this in February, but even with his help, it's not a sure thing we'll find those offsets and actually make the tool compatible. Let's just hope it is that way. If any of you reading this right now think you can help, be my guest. I'd be glad to hear from you either in this topic or PM.

Q: Is there any way I can avoid paying the $2 to get my Association working with the tool? I'm willing to spend half an hour if that means the tool will work with my Association for a whole season!

Well, actually, there is. Here's what I do when I want to make the tool compatible with a certain Association, and essentially how the donation versions are made.

1. Have a cup of tea next to you. You'll need something relaxing. :P
2. Start a new Association.
3. Save it right after choosing the Draft Class. Keep a copy of this save, by saving the Association again under a different name this time. The first save you made will be the backup, the one you'll use after all this is done, since it'll be compatible with the tool. The second save will be the one that will help you do the following.
4. With the second save loaded, simulate a month of games.
5. Save the Association under the second name again.
5.1 (Optional) Get the game into windowed mode. Trust me, it'll help a lot. Make sure you also have some additional screen space; that is, that the game's window doesn't fill up your desktop.
6. From in-game, go to NBA.com > Statistics > Team Stats. Sort by PTS and have the AST column also visible, like this:

7. Alt-Tab into the tool (or start it), and load your SECOND save. Select Mode 0 when asked. If you're not asked, click on Erase Settings, and load your second save again. You should be asked this time.

If you have a spreadsheet tool that can import CSV...
(Google Docs has a spreadsheet editor that works perfectly)
8. Export the league's stats from the tool to CSV.
9. Import it into the spreadsheet tool, make sure you split the data into columns with "comma" as a separator. You should get something like this:

10. Hide or delete any columns that aren't PF and AST. Sort the names, PF and AST columns by PF, descending order. You should have something like this now:

11. Okay, so now we have something similar in both the game window and the Excel window. The fact that some names are mixed up is to be expected, and that's what we want to check.

12. Team by team, check for differences in names. For example, in the above image, here's the differences that are apparent:
Grizzlies -> Warriors
Bucks -> Pacers
Knicks -> Clippers
Warriors -> Spurs
Pistons -> Knicks
There are others too that are lower in the game's team stats table. Note the differences for all 30 teams in the table.

13. Send me those differences in a PM or e-mail, I'll get to make a mode of the tool that works with your Association. When I send it to you, install it. Make note of the Mode I tell you to select when the tool asks you.
14. Load your first save in the tool's version I sent you (which should have replaced the older tool), and click on Erase Settings. Load it again. You should be asked for the number of games in the season and the mode you want, again. This time, select the mode I told you to in my reply.
15. Your save is now compatible with the tool.

Q: Does that mean I can use the tool you sent me with any Association I start later?

Truth is, I don't know! Maybe, maybe not. Try it and tell me. If you want to avoid going through all that again, you can always get the donation package, that for $2 gets you 3 separate tools for 3 of your Associations, with me doing all the above work for you. But first, check if any of the modes already in the tool (especially the one I made for you) works with your new Association as well. If not, you'll have to either do all that again, or donate the $2.
Last edited by Leftos on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Roberto_Jovinelli on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:53 pm

I started an association controlling all 30 teams. This table indicates the changes you made ​​to "correct team stats"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Roberto_Jovinelli

Postby Leftos on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Imageshack really made that image small, it's hard to read. Anyway, you say that the teams on the left are those in the tool and the teams on the right are the correct ones in your Association?

So, for example, CTS reports that the Kings have 375 points and 70 assists while the game reports that the 76ers have 375 points and 70 assists? Or is it the tool reporting the 76ers have 375 points and 70 assists while the Kings have that many in game?

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker (Donation version availab

Postby Leftos on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 pm

NBA 2K12 Correct Team Stats is now NBA Stats Tracker!

Renaming Announcement
The renaming is in part due to the tool's added features and support for custom leagues, as well as my plans to later on include fetching the real NBA league's team stats data from the internet so that you can use the tool's features on them, and also maybe include player stats, both from the game, as well as custom leagues.

Compatibility with NBA 2K12 saves is still a priority; it will be fully compatible with all Associations in a late February to early March release, but until then the donation versions offer still stands.

However, the tool has grown beyond its original purpose -that is to keep NBA 2K12's team stats correct- and now supports custom leagues, stat averages, rankings, scouting reports, team comparisons; it will even support Trends later on, which will allow you to compare two saves from different dates and get detailed commentary on which teams became better between the saves, which are worse, and in what areas.

So a more appropriate name was required. Based on its current features and my plans for its future, "NBA Stats Tracker" is a more appropriate name.

Thanks for all your ideas and support. I still want to hear what other features you would suggest a tool that tracks NBA stats to have. We're beyond NBA 2K12 now, this will be a general purpose tool with support for NBA 2K12 as well. So shoot away!

All the people that contributed to the tool's current features with ideas in this thread will get a special mention in the new About box that the first release of the NBA Stats Tracker will have.

Thanks again, and start getting excited for the February-March release, because it's going to be big, with features and automation that weren't previously possible!

Big things are coming. ;)

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Roberto_Jovinelli on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:14 am

Leftos wrote:Imageshack really made that image small, it's hard to read. Anyway, you say that the teams on the left are those in the tool and the teams on the right are the correct ones in your Association?

So, for example, CTS reports that the Kings have 375 points and 70 assists while the game reports that the 76ers have 375 points and 70 assists?

is the first case. It works just like this. Also point out that the association when you enter a fantasy team, this is not read from your system.
Maybe your system may stabilize in the case of "associations" with 30 teams. I tried several times and correspondence of the teams is always the same.
Roberto_Jovinelli

Postby Leftos on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:22 am

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to making the tool compatible with custom teams in Association, but don't worry. That feature is one of the new ones expected for the big release of NBA Stats Tracker, so be patient.

As for your current Association, and the data you sent me, watch your PM. I'll get a tool that's working for it based on the data you gave me and send it to you ASAP.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 am

Now THIS is exciting! Maybe not for NBA 2K12 gamers in general, but surely for NBA fans!

I've completed the "Get Real Stats" feature, which gets the real league's stats from Basketball-Reference.com and puts them into the tool so you can use all the tool's features on them! Get averages, rankings, scout reports, team-to-team comparisons, and of course export to CSV!

Screenshots
Showing progress while grabbing the real NBA stats...

Stats have been grabbed, and here's proof!

A "League Stats to CSV" done to the real NBA stats, sorted by Weff in descending order to get a sort of power ranking.

EDIT: Download link in first post updated for this release.

v0.7.0.1 released
Fixes a big in v0.7 that wouldn't allow the user to load saved Team Stats from versions 0.6.x and lower.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker 0.7.0.1 (w/ REAL NBA STAT

Postby Roberto_Jovinelli on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:36 pm

I want to thank you for the timely and valuable support you have given me with your application.
Now the teams read from the system are perfectly correct.
thanks Leftos

Roberto
Roberto_Jovinelli

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker 0.7.1 (w/ REAL NBA STATS!

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 am

v0.7.1 released!
Compare your team from any save or any custom league, as long as it has an NBA counterpart, to the real team in the versus window, with a single click!

(If the image below is cut-off, right-click on it and click on View Image)

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby tatlopuyo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:42 pm

hey bro good work with these tools...i was wondering....can you find out what are the values johndoe changed in those global shadowmods he did last year?hope you can help..thanks and keep up the good work..
tatlopuyo

Postby Leftos on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Look in the tutorials section, tatlopuyo, don't think I can do any better than those hex diggers out there.

Thanks for your kind words, though.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: [Tool] [Dev] NBA Stats Tracker 0.7.2 (w/ REAL NBA STATS!

Postby Leftos on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 am

v0.7.2 released!
Compare your team to the same team from another file! See how well you've done over the past 10 games for example; see in which areas you have improved, and in which you haven't!

Also, the installer's bug which caused it to create icons that didn't work has been fixed.

(If the below image is cut-off, right-click on it and click on View Image)

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K12 Modding