Players retire while still on contract

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Players retire while still on contract

Postby GoLowDrew on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 am

I know...it's just a game. But like you, we want our simulation to be as real as possible.

I have several players that are under contract. The game made them retired the following season. Wait, they are under contract. Can they do that? Yes, in real life there are certain conditions. But in the game, there isn't. The game just retire these player when they either still under contract or signed an extension the season before.

I'm mean, if they plan to retire, why did they sign the extension?

In my game, I just won the NBA final, and I need everyone back to defend. Nearly all agree. But once I move into offseason, half of my team was gone - retired.
GoLowDrew

Re: Players retire while still on contract

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:09 am

Same thing happens with some older players in real life. NBA Live was always a bit more straightforward about it, using it as an indicator: a new contract for X amount of years for an aging veteran meant that they were very likely going to retire in X years time. But some players do retire before their contract is up.

A recent example would be Shaquille O'Neal. He signed a two year deal with the Celtics, but with injuries taking their toll after 19 years in the league, he retired after playing only one season with them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby GoLowDrew on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:31 am

Yes, you are right in the Shaq example.

I guess just :( that half of my team is gone when I had "no indication" they were leaving....I may have made different moves.
GoLowDrew

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:56 am

It's definitely unlucky, I agree.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K12