Why am I getting very low FPS?

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Why am I getting very low FPS?

Postby jem73 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:10 am

I'm kind of frustrated, I have no idea why my FPS is set on very low. I just built my new rig and installed the ultimate rosters. Here's the specs:

Intel Core i5 3.4GHz
8 GB ram
GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit
1TB HDD
Windows 7...

I get 40-50 FPS without AA. I drop the settings to low and the FPS dips to under 20?
On the settings in game it's grayed out that my FPS = very low. Can anybody help?
jem73

Re: Why am I getting very low FPS?

Postby Leftos on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:19 am

Something seriously wrong is going on. You have a set-up that should be getting you consistent 60FPS (or whatever's your monitor maximum) with V-Sync on.

Is every other game playing fine? Have you tried updating the drivers from GeForce.com?
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jem73 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:21 am

Every other game plays fine. I max out BF3, Arma 2, Guild wars 2.. everything.. I agree that I should be getting more and it doesn't make sense... I turned V-Sync off and now I get 100~ FPS but the screen tearing is so annoying I can't deal with it.

All the drivers for everything are updated
jem73

Postby Leftos on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:26 am

Download D3DOverrider (if you can't find it by itself, download and install RivaTuner, D3DOverrider is included with it), add nba2k12.exe to the list, Detection on Medium, Force V-Sync to OFF, Force Triple Buffering to ON, make sure V-Sync is ON in the game, and you should be all set.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jem73 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:23 am

Leftos wrote:Download D3DOverrider (if you can't find it by itself, download and install RivaTuner, D3DOverrider is included with it), add nba2k12.exe to the list, Detection on Medium, Force V-Sync to OFF, Force Triple Buffering to ON, make sure V-Sync is ON in the game, and you should be all set.

Tried your suggestion, didn't work. I still get a consistent 50 FPS and its just really sluggish..... Thanks for the suggestion
jem73

Postby ApHavoc642 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:03 am

Don't run anything besides Leftos' Memalloc program and NBA 2K12?

Sometimes when I have Firefox or Chrome running, the game would be choppy and slow. After closing those browsers, the game will run smoothly again.
ApHavoc642

Postby Leftos on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:47 pm

What ApHavoc642 said, as well. Game tends to get really laggy on some setups if programs such as web browsers are running in the background.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:23 am

Keep in mind that 2K uses more of your cpu processor than your video card. With that said, try the game in windowed mode and lower the resolution so you can see some of your desktop. Bring up the Windows Task Manager and look at the percentage of cpu time being used. If it looks abnormally low, that is your problem.

Also, check your video card settings and see if all the eye candy is maxed out. If it is, turn off antialiasing from there and see if it runs any smoother.

If you have a modified 2K12 config file that you changed or downloaded, delete it or rename it and let the game recreate the config file.

Since it's an xbox360 port, Windows may be trying to play the game directly from the disc. Take the disc out and use a hammer on it to make sure it is completely flat.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K12