Modding Association Questions

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Modding Association Questions

Postby agiles2303 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:11 am

Hey guys,

I've been more of an active reader than contributor to these forums. I have a request/question/I don't know what exactly, because I'm giving considerable thought to moving to PC gaming specifically for the flexibility it provides.

Gamefly is offering NBA 2K12 for $5.00 right now, and I have a PC that is more than capable of handling games. My idea/question-thing is a bit deeper, and please excuse my lack of understanding of what mods are currently available.

I'm the type of gamer that loves flexibility mixed with nostalgia.

I've always thought it would be the best basketball experience to literally re-write history. Not through these artificial game modes that 2k provides, which let you replicate history. I've searched through many roster downloads etc, and it hit me.

Set the current date back to 1984 (1998,2001, etc)?
Wipe the history books clean of all records that happened from 1986 (or whatever year you choose) on.
Create a custom Association with the proper teams/rosters/jerseys of that year?
Have draft class downloads for each following year that can be imported?

It would be a fun experiencing "living" scenarios like...
What if Jordan never got hurt for 65 games?
What if they never get Scottie Pippen?
Phil Jackson?
What if he never retires for baseball?
What if Kobe / Shaq don't break apart?
Or if Kobe never gets traded to the Lakers?

I realize a lot of file changes would have to happen between each season to keep the integrity of the team changes/additions that happened throughout the years, and that's not something that can be handled by simply uploading one package of files once and being done with it. And would clearly be up to the user to do on their own But a repository could be created that holds draft classes for each year, team rosters for the beginning of each year. Team arenas/names/ jerseys for each year. I don't know if the file structure would permit overwriting a team (jersey, name, arena) in Association without overwriting their roster.

The user experience for truly being Michael Jordan would be something like:
1. Download teams/rosters record book overwrite for 1984-85 season.
2. Download 1985-1986 draft roster.
3. Create custom Association
4. Choose all of those teams.
5. Choose downloaded draft roster for 1985-1986.
6. Play through season.
7. Repeat steps 2, 5, and 6 for following years.
8. Perhaps there is some way to exclude/include expansion teams through file overwrites?

Again I don't know enough about the structure of the files to say if this is possible but I think it would be awesome. And if it's possible I will definitely be buying 2K12 FOR the PC.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback?
Last edited by agiles2303 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
agiles2303

Re: [REQUEST] Ultimate Association Mode

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 am

Aren't the UBR Season Mods already doing what you're asking for?

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=82925
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby agiles2303 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:23 am

Leftos wrote:Aren't the UBR Season Mods already doing what you're asking for?

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=82925

In a sense.

Do those come with draft classes for each year? So that each following year can be dynamic. Maybe in my Association from 1984 to 1992, the Magic made some trades that got them into a championship contender in the 1991 season and don't have the #1 overall pick in 1992 and Jordan had a season ending injury in 1991 so the Bulls got the #1 overall pick and Jordan gets Shaq. The value of a player at the draft would never change, but the teams at specific spots would be completely different. Or maybe Magic, Larry, and Clyde decide to make a super team and Jordan never wins a ring. The shift of players should be dynamic and independent from what really happened.

Or any other scenario like that for every other team. I don't want to relive each year, I'm looking to truly relive history as a whole, where the decisions I make for my team or each team could change the landscape of the history books forever.
agiles2303

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:32 am

List of draft classes included in v28 of UBR:

The specific season mods can be used as a starting year for your Association, and you could rewrite history just as you described. They don't limit you to playing just that season and then "Game Over".

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby agiles2303 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:36 am

What about the addition of expansion teams like the Raptors in 1995? Is that possible to exclude them for all seasons before and then change some files to include them in 1995?
agiles2303

Postby Leftos on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:40 am

It could be possible by manually editing the Association roster in REDitor at the start of that year (the team in the Teams tab, I presume), but I don't know what problems could arise.

And keep in mind you can only have teams replacing others, even via that method. You can't have more/less than 30 teams at any point.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby agiles2303 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:50 am

Thanks for the help.

I assumed 30 teams would be required, I know this would be a TON of work, but is it possible to edit the schedule inside of an Association file? Then the draft order each offseason?

I could then conceivably have the 30th team in the league play 0 games with 0 players. Manually divide out those games across the rest of the league, so all 29 teams have 82 games. Edit the draft order so that each team just moves up one spot. etc. When the years come along of an expansion team, let the automated scheduled generator keep the current schedule. And come up with my own scenario for adding players to that expansion team.
agiles2303

Postby agiles2303 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Anyone got an answer to the last question?
agiles2303

Postby agiles2303 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:14 am

Bumping for my last question.

Scenario: 1984 Season Mod, therefore there are a 5 or so expansion teams that are in NBA 2K13 that did not exist in 1984.

Would it be possible (in an Association file) to alter a teams schedule so that technically they do not play any games? Has anyone attempted this to know? Possible to edit the draft order in the Association file to remove these expansion teams?
agiles2303

Re: Modding Association Questions

Postby Culture Games on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:52 am

You can edit schedules
Culture Games
ABL Commish

Return to NBA 2K12