NBA 2K12 NBA's Greatest Hands-On Preview (G4TV)

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

NBA 2K12 NBA's Greatest Hands-On Preview (G4TV)

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:33 am

Check it out here if you can't see the embedded video.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NBA 2K12 NBA's Greatest Hands-On Preview

Postby JaoSming on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:34 am

no new info, but still nice to see this game in motion
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: NBA 2K12 NBA's Greatest Hands-On Preview (G4TV)

Postby jaelove on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:46 am

I was afraid they were going to give the retro players modern ball handling skills Jerry West shouldn't be doing hesitation dribbles but other than that it looks good
jaelove

Postby JaoSming on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:54 am

there are tendencies for that, but you can't limit what the user does
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jaelove on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 am

I know but they should of added new dribble animations for the retro players that is a gross oversight for a company that says they pay attention to detail
jaelove

Postby StormsWarning on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:11 pm

looks good to me. oct 4th, it goes down.
Favorite Teams

Cleveland Browns

Cleveland Indians

Cleveland Cavaliers

Live Video Game Streamiing https://beam.pro/Stormz_Warning
StormsWarning

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:29 pm

jaelove wrote:I know but they should of added new dribble animations for the retro players that is a gross oversight for a company that says they pay attention to detail

I agree that would be a nice touch but that aspect aside, they certainly have paid quite a lot of attention to detail on the whole.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby pgasol16 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:40 pm

they fixed high socks, they're just like 2k9!!!
pgasol16

Postby gabolifal on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:36 pm

I still think that this greatest mode is not as good as Jordan mode should be. The problem with Jordan's was the lack of customization, because playing important games, reconstructing a player's career is just amazing. But playing just one game and not even the most important is just not that good. I mean, how many times will you guys play the same game over and over? I don't think it's funny also to play Bill Russell against D.Howard or somethink like that, 'cause the core of the mode is to look historical, and we'll just get historical as a one game challenge can get.
I don't know, just my opinion, but if they did just showtime, MJ and Bird, just like the Jordan mode from 2k11, it would be better. And I don't mean that I won't have fun playing greatest, but it will be a very short limited fun.
gabolifal

Postby Sideshow Bob on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:05 pm

2:25 is that a half-time show?
☆☆
Sideshow Bob
Contributor

Postby Phraynk on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:12 pm

#jetsfool wrote:2:25 is that a half-time show?

Looks like a timeout to me.
"These young guys are playing checkers. I'm out there playing chess."
Phraynk

Postby The X on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm just glad that Jerry West's jumper swished through the net. As it should be. I'm keen to use him, that's for sure :cool:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby qfrmcpt310 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I see some great possibilities with the retro scorebug shown during the Hawks-Celtics part. Chang the 2k logo to NBC and hopefully we can change the color from red to light blue, and bang! You have a realistic looking NBA on NBC scorebug
qfrmcpt310

Postby wabenne on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 am

gabolifal wrote:I still think that this greatest mode is not as good as Jordan mode should be. The problem with Jordan's was the lack of customization, because playing important games, reconstructing a player's career is just amazing. But playing just one game and not even the most important is just not that good. I mean, how many times will you guys play the same game over and over? I don't think it's funny also to play Bill Russell against D.Howard or somethink like that, 'cause the core of the mode is to look historical, and we'll just get historical as a one game challenge can get.
I don't know, just my opinion, but if they did just showtime, MJ and Bird, just like the Jordan mode from 2k11, it would be better. And I don't mean that I won't have fun playing greatest, but it will be a very short limited fun.

I understand and respect your position but in fairness too 2k they did come out and say this is not "Jordan Challange" this is the "Greatest Mode" and the point of the mode is to let you have a realistic game experience vs trying to fulfill a challenge with one player. I think both the Jordan challange and Greatest mode has their benefit for the user. Also as far as I understand it won't just be you having to play the same one game over and over, when you win you unlock the teams. I believe "Andrew" told me when I asked that now these unlocked teams can be put in association mode, so you can play with them in association mode, playoffs, putting them against current or old nba teams. So I think the greatest modes though different from Jordan challenges adds a different touch. I for one want to see Wilt go up against Dwight

Just personally I would get tired of having 15 greats that are featured and having 5 or 6 challenges that i have to fulfill with each one of them, I much rather play with wilt chamberlin and choose rather I want to score a 100 with him or just 50 and as long as I win the game I unlock the team. However that is just my personal view of the mode
wabenne

Postby gabolifal on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 am

wabenne wrote:I understand and respect your position but in fairness too 2k they did come out and say this is not "Jordan Challange" this is the "Greatest Mode" and the point of the mode is to let you have a realistic game experience vs trying to fulfill a challenge with one player. I think both the Jordan challange and Greatest mode has their benefit for the user. Also as far as I understand it won't just be you having to play the same one game over and over, when you win you unlock the teams. I believe "Andrew" told me when I asked that now these unlocked teams can be put in association mode, so you can play with them in association mode, playoffs, putting them against current or old nba teams. So I think the greatest modes though different from Jordan challenges adds a different touch. I for one want to see Wilt go up against Dwight

Just personally I would get tired of having 15 greats that are featured and having 5 or 6 challenges that i have to fulfill with each one of them, I much rather play with wilt chamberlin and choose rather I want to score a 100 with him or just 50 and as long as I win the game I unlock the team. However that is just my personal view of the mode

Oh, I do respect that too my man. But I mean, you can do what you said in 2k11, you can put classic teams from jordan challenge into association and you can put classic players against nowadays.
Let me try to explain my point of view better: we'll have somethink like 30+ teams in greatest mode, 'cause we have 15 classic players with their teams, plus the 15 opponents.(And a few DLC, bonus, etc) If they keep Jordan challenge and add 3 more players with their challenges we would have 3 more teams and 10 opponents for each one. So we would have somethink like 33 teams, a number very similar to what they did in greatest mode. So if you get Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Bill Russel for example, we still could have a lot of classic teams there are in greatest mode, 'cause it would feature 10 teams from Magic's era, 10 from Bird's era and 10 from Russel. So we get covered from 1956 to 2007, as 1956 being the rookie season from Russell and 2007 the last season ever from Jordan. I mean we could still have ALL these amazing classic teams from Greatest with the challenge of Jordan challenge.
gabolifal

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am

As I've said before, I believe I'll enjoy playing through all the old games but I agree that replicating a specific game and setting a few challenges adds a bit more replay value. Still, as Rob himself noted in the video, it did force you to play outside the game a little bit and go out of your way to reach the statistical milestones. The replay value in a basketball sim like NBA 2K is in Association, My Player and online play. A mode like NBA's Greatest is one that most people will likely only play through once to unlock the teams, maybe replay their favourite games (perhaps controlling the opponents instead) every now and again or use the classic team in another mode.

It's a selling point, especially in the face of the lockout, but it's not meant to carry the game as such or be the whole game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wabenne on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:42 pm

@gabolifal I understand where you coming from, @Andrew I agree
wabenne

Postby gabolifal on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Yeah, it's a hell of a selling point, and I think it's a very smart and thoughtful move by 2k. I will enjoy greatest, that's for sure, it's just because I liked Jordan challenge so much... hehehe Because I felt in some way how hard it is to play and get numbers like Jordan did. I love this guy, and after playing the challenge I love him much more. Imagine if you had to get the numbers of magic johnson? Man it would be a very nice challenge. I don't know, I like challenges and this would make people know more about some players carreer.
gabolifal

Postby alwaysblack on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:00 pm

gabolifal wrote:Yeah, it's a hell of a selling point, and I think it's a very smart and thoughtful move by 2k. I will enjoy greatest, that's for sure, it's just because I liked Jordan challenge so much... hehehe Because I felt in some way how hard it is to play and get numbers like Jordan did. I love this guy, and after playing the challenge I love him much more. Imagine if you had to get the numbers of magic johnson? Man it would be a very nice challenge. I don't know, I like challenges and this would make people know more about some players carreer.

i agree just winning the game is corny..the jordan challenges made u work for it
alwaysblack

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:31 pm

qfrmcpt310 wrote:I see some great possibilities with the retro scorebug shown during the Hawks-Celtics part. Chang the 2k logo to NBC and hopefully we can change the color from red to light blue, and bang! You have a realistic looking NBA on NBC scorebug

The only thing needed then would be Roundball Rock and it would be complete!

phpBB [video]
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby qfrmcpt310 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:50 am

shadowgrin wrote:
qfrmcpt310 wrote:I see some great possibilities with the retro scorebug shown during the Hawks-Celtics part. Chang the 2k logo to NBC and hopefully we can change the color from red to light blue, and bang! You have a realistic looking NBA on NBC scorebug

The only thing needed then would be Roundball Rock and it would be complete!

phpBB [video]

yes! Please god let there be custom music for the PC version
qfrmcpt310

Return to NBA 2K12