Random Details from Gamestop and PC Price Point Confusion

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Random Details from Gamestop and PC Price Point Confusion

Postby JaoSming on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:41 am

With over 5 million copies sold worldwide and over 20 Sports Game of Year awards, last year NBA 2K11 allowed you to BECOME THE GREATEST with MJ & the Jordan Challenge mode. This year the NBA 2K franchise is back and bigger than ever, providing fans with the opportunity they've always dreamed of - to finally END THE DEBATE as to who are the best teams and players of all time with the ALL-NEW NBA's Greatest mode. Featuring 15 legendary players such as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Dr. J, NBA's Greatest let you relive some of NBA's most celebrated careers and rivalries, painstakingly recreated in historical detail. In addition, several innovative gameplay features have been added putting fans center court of an unprecedented basketball experience.

• NBA 2K12 will ship with one of the three following cover athlete's images: Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird. Cover will be chosen at random as the game ships.
  • NBA's Greatest - Experience 15 of the NBA's most celebrated careers and rivalries, painstakingly recreated in historic detail. Featuring such legends as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Dr. J, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and more.
  • Most Accurate NBA 2K Game Ever - Building off NBA Today's real-time stats, rosters, schedules and ratings, NBA 2K12 now delivers the most visually accurate NBA game as well. From shoes to player models and even court floors - every graphic detail of the game can now be dynamically updated. Broadcast style gets a boost as well with player interstitials promoting their upcoming games and dynamic pre-game highlight reels set to 2K Beats music.
  • Enhanced Gameplay - NBA 2K12 adds +1,000 new animations this year and delivers all-new control mechanics for post play and ball control to make the game more intuitive to play than ever before.
    MORE MAJOR FEATURES TO BE ANNOUNCED LATER

The thought that art can be dynamically updated is amazing, but only for console users. Hopefully they add floor colors to the "arenas tab" in the roster. It would be a hell of a lot easier to edit floor colors but then that would lead to conflicts between different rosters having different court colors and so on. Great feature for console users though.

The Larry and Magic covers are exclusive to the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. They will not appear on the retail PC box, PS2, Wii, or PSP covers.

US Pricing for the PC version is as follows;
Best Buy - $29.99
Amazon - $49.00
Gamestop - $19.99
Walmart - $29.96

The Walmart listing says (PC/Mac) but the rest just say PC.

Also, it seems that the PC and PS2 versions of the game are published by Visual Concepts and not 2K Sports like the other versions. In previous years the PC version had the same publisher. That could mean we get a better optimized game, maybe with the missing shaders that the 360/PS3 versions get, or maybe it means jack shit.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: Random Details from Gamestop and PC Price Point Confusio

Postby Mavs4Life on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:55 am

Paying 40 bucks less, you guys deserve a few disadvantages :lol:. This is gonna be a great year for console users, if there's a season at all.

•NBA 2K12 will ship with one of the three following cover athlete's images: Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird. Cover will be chosen at random as the game ships.

Wait so, they pick for us?
Mavs4Life

Postby JaoSming on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 am

im sure you could twist an arm to get the cover you wanted
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Mavs4Life on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:58 am

JaoSming wrote:im sure you could twist an arm to get the cover you wanted

Hopefully, I think I may want Bird.
Mavs4Life

Postby JaoSming on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:05 am

that is the correct answer sir :wink:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:03 am

eff bird, magic all the way.

btw i dont think the dynamic art updates not being on pc is a big deal. you pretty much do that yourself anyways
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 am

Qballer wrote:btw i dont think the dynamic art updates not being on pc is a big deal. you pretty much do that yourself anyways

My understanding is that the PC is going to get that feature, I was attempting to ramble around and say that I don't like the idea as it will conflict with patches.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Interesting stuff, good looking out. I guess it was only a matter of time before official art updates began to accompany the official rosters.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Also, it seems that the PC and PS2 versions of the game are published by Visual Concepts and not 2K Sports like the other versions. In previous years the PC version had the same publisher. That could mean we get a better optimized game, maybe with the missing shaders that the 360/PS3 versions get, or maybe it means jack shit.

EA could be the publisher and it wouldn't change what's inside the game. They just manufacture, market and advertise most of the time.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bnicolas13 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:07 pm

That price variation kind of worries me. Do you guys think Gamestop would honor their price if it was pre-ordered now? As in, if they messed up and the game was meant to be 30 or 50 bucks, they'd still honor your order at 20? If so, it might be worth the pre order.
CPU: Intel i7 2600K OC'd @ 4.4GHZ
GPU: 2 GTX 570s in SLI
RAM: 16 GB Corsair RAM
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
PSU: Rosewill Lightning 1300W
Bnicolas13

Postby JaoSming on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:11 pm

eh, I'd pay $60 for this, so if it ends up being $30 again then so be it. I'm pretty sure Amazon is just plain wrong though.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Bnicolas13 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:17 pm

No doubt, I'd gladly pay 60 bucks. However, if I can get it cheaper, I'd jump on it. Guess its time to read some Gamestop legal jargon.
Bnicolas13

Postby #basedmods! on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:32 pm

il like to get the mj cover since the background of the cover is red :D
#basedmods!

Postby Mavs4Life on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Bnicolas13 wrote:No doubt, I'd gladly pay 60 bucks. However, if I can get it cheaper, I'd jump on it. Guess its time to read some Gamestop legal jargon.

Wait until around December, that's when used copies start popping up. Usually 10 bucks less.
Last edited by Mavs4Life on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mavs4Life

Postby Cruzerr on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Fuck. Another time I have to get Jordan :S
"Say whatever you want, m*therf*cker. Just say my name"
Cruzerr

Postby Houndy on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:44 am

Yeahh! More modding powers to the consoles!
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby koberulz on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:02 am

Mavs4Life wrote:
Bnicolas13 wrote:No doubt, I'd gladly pay 60 bucks. However, if I can get it cheaper, I'd jump on it. Guess its time to read some Gamestop legal jargon.

Wait until around December, taht's when used copies start popping up. Usually 10 bucks less.

I'll probably wait this year regardless. I still have plenty to do on 2k11, and waiting allows modders to get in and work out what they're doing, get out a few patches for dornas, shoes, rosters, etc., and sliders to be released. Not to mention that I don't really want an unplayable game sitting on my shelf for six months waiting for 2k to get off their asses and release the official patch like I did last year.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Mavs4Life on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:34 am

Houndy wrote:Yeahh! More modding powers to the consoles!

With a bunch of more player models, & the hair pdates etc., yes if there's a season this we'll problablky be the best year for console. It just all depends on the lockout.
Mavs4Life

Postby _Steve_ on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:56 am

koberulz wrote:
Mavs4Life wrote:

Wait until around December, taht's when used copies start popping up. Usually 10 bucks less.

I'll probably wait this year regardless. I still have plenty to do on 2k11, and waiting allows modders to get in and work out what they're doing, get out a few patches for dornas, shoes, rosters, etc., and sliders to be released. Not to mention that I don't really want an unplayable game sitting on my shelf for six months waiting for 2k to get off their asses and release the official patch like I did last year.

True. I do not like to use tendencies, sliders and rosters from the original game and you are quite right about the patche(s) plus I really like the 91/92 season mod...
Last edited by _Steve_ on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” - Mark Twain
_Steve_

Postby StompTheCourt on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:11 am

Mavs4Life wrote:
Houndy wrote:Yeahh! More modding powers to the consoles!

With a bunch of more player models, & the hair pdates etc., yes if there's a season this we'll problablky be the best year for console. It just all depends on the lockout.

That will never happen, 2K does not even want us modding the game so I doubt that they would ever give those blessings to console users
StompTheCourt
NBA2K Modding Vet
Contributor

Postby JaoSming on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:21 am

if the court colors are controlled by the roster (something they already do for CAT courts and practice/summer league courts) and since we can mod the 360's roster files, it is possible.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby fjccommish on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:45 am

The most important element of realism is the play on the court.

If, controlling Kobe, I can't baseline dunk almost every time, have to learn to pull up and hit the fadeaways, then 2K12 will be an improvement.
fjccommish

Postby Bnicolas13 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:03 am

I was talking with the Gamestop customer service and they said they will honor the price of the pre-order. So I just ordered 2k12 for 20 bucks plus shipping. Not a bad deal at all.
Bnicolas13

Postby Mavs4Life on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:36 am

Bnicolas13 wrote:I was talking with the Gamestop customer service and they said they will honor the price of the pre-order. So I just ordered 2k12 for 20 bucks plus shipping. Not a bad deal at all.

For PC? Or console? What am ithink, even now 2K11 is still 30 bucks.
Mavs4Life

Postby JaoSming on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:04 am

he's talking about PC

and PC 2K11 was price dropped a while ago to $20
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/nba-2k11/77714
http://store.steampowered.com/app/65950/
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Next