10 left...What Legendary players should be in 2K12?

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Re: 10 left...What Legendary players should be in 2K12?

Postby Mavs4Life on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:14 am

shadowgrin wrote:He still has a good point though.

I see his side, but w/ a lockout stuff like myplayer will get old. They're just trying to give something to be excited about with a chance of no season.
Mavs4Life

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:32 am

With or without a lockout The Greatest Mode will also get old. Some guys here in the forums haven't even completed a single Jordan Challenge for 2K11. He's right that 2K should focus on fixing the gameplay and game modes that demand more of the gamers' time and have been part of the NBA 2K franchise for some years now and probably more years too as integral part of the game.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:59 am

You're right, it is a good point. But who said they haven't been improving those areas? They were able to improve on 2k10 and still add the Jordan challenge and improve my player. 1000+ new animations? Revamped post game? Legends on top of that? New online community? Anyone who thinks they are only focused on the classic challenges hasn't been paying attention to the ongoing development over the years.

Bringing in the Jordan challenge brought back people who havent bought a basketball game in years. They are trying to go bigger with even more legends.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 am

True in a whole and general sense but I was referring to improving the game or removing specific glitches and bugs from the previous game. Coaching carousel in association? Ridiculous. Various glitches in My Player even after the patch? Just check out some of the threads in the forums. Stupid 8 minutes in the Jordan Challenges? Check. Feck, some of the glitches/bugs are even from 2K10. I haven't even checked out if the (reverse) Joe Smith contract glitch is still present in 2K11, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in 2K12. imo if you remove the eye candy from 2K11's My Player mode, it's still a horrible wreck like that from 2K10.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Mavs4Life on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:34 am

Pdub wrote:You're right, it is a good point. But who said they haven't been improving those areas? They were able to improve on 2k10 and still add the Jordan challenge and improve my player. 1000+ new animations? Revamped post game? Legends on top of that? New online community? Anyone who thinks they are only focused on the classic challenges hasn't been paying attention to the ongoing development over the years.

Bringing in the Jordan challenge brought back people who havent bought a basketball game in years. They are trying to go bigger with even more legends.

You said perfectly Pdub.
Mavs4Life

Postby StompTheCourt on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:07 am

Mavs4Life wrote:
Pdub wrote:You're right, it is a good point. But who said they haven't been improving those areas? They were able to improve on 2k10 and still add the Jordan challenge and improve my player. 1000+ new animations? Revamped post game? Legends on top of that? New online community? Anyone who thinks they are only focused on the classic challenges hasn't been paying attention to the ongoing development over the years.

You said perfectly Pdub.

This is true I personally know people that haven't played a basketball game in ten years because of this and have bought it this year because of the Jordan challenge, I really think putting Jordan on the cover last year and in the game most likely boosted sales by a very large margin, and if this is the case then that would explain the legend expansion on top of the other reason (Lock out) so if this has made there sales increase I would probably get used to the legends revamped add on each year to come.
StompTheCourt
NBA2K Modding Vet
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Pdub's basically summed it up. I expect as we get closer to the release, more info on improvements to gameplay and existing modes will be made available. The historical content is their selling point right now because of the lockout and part of their contingency plan.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:04 pm

shadowgrin wrote:True in a whole and general sense but I was referring to improving the game or removing specific glitches and bugs from the previous game. Coaching carousel in association? Ridiculous. Various glitches in My Player even after the patch? Just check out some of the threads in the forums. Stupid 8 minutes in the Jordan Challenges? Check. Feck, some of the glitches/bugs are even from 2K10. I haven't even checked out if the (reverse) Joe Smith contract glitch is still present in 2K11, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in 2K12. imo if you remove the eye candy from 2K11's My Player mode, it's still a horrible wreck like that from 2K10.

This. (Y) Now that the drool over Olajuwon being in the game is gone for me, I have come back to my senses. I will wait and see if 2K has finally fixed those game-breaking glitches before I go out and buy it. I should not have to live in fear of a crash when loading an association, loading a roster, etc, it's ridiculous. It's pretty sad how 2K can put so much attention to game modes, player models, graphics and make it all look good but they can't make the game function properly without crashing. That's really the only big gripe I ever had with 2K11.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:36 pm

My game rarely crashes. The only time it did is when I was too lazy to keep the dvd in the drive(cough), or when I was aggressively over clocking my processor. I never installed a mod or edited a roster outside the game.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:16 pm

I wouldn't call the glitches I encounter game breaking, more like annoying. But when those annoying things pile up and you encounter them season after season, well...
I'm in the same boat as Pdub, I haven't encountered most of the crashes people have posted here nor do I install mods carelessly. It's just things in the game that are bad/lazy programming.
My player in My Player always getting 30+ minutes even though he's already dead tired. My player needs his Gatorade coach, sub him out! Very high foul tendencies for the generics which makes them unable to play the minutes assigned to them decreasing their morale and team chemistry, which happens for the entire league. So on and so on...
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby koberulz on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:17 pm

The morale is ridiculous. Within a month I had Barnes, Odom, and Brown all wanting to start, with Walton, Odom, Barnes, Artest, Brown and Fisher all wanting more minutes. I'd have needed to put eight players on at a time to keep them happy.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:29 am

How high were their ratings? I can understand Odom and Artest, maybe Barnes, but not old Fish or even Walton.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:56 am

I was cutting into Fish's minutes quite a bit to give Brown plenty of court time, as Brown was considering free agency while Fish announced his retirement. Walton was barely getting on the floor, because Artest, Barnes and Odom all wanted minutes at the 3/4 and Pau is obviously more important than Luke, and it wasn't worth trying to find the time for him, so I just sent him to the Wolves for a draft pick. Was using Albys V6 or V7 rosters.
koberulz

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:48 am

I would have thought Walton was happy to be in the nba. :lol:
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 am

Apparently not. Caracter and Ebanks are demanding minutes as well, though they're not playing at all so it's somewhat understandable, and saying they're going to go out in free agency and see how many millions they're worth or some such shit. You're rookies on the reigning world champs, quit whining.
koberulz

Postby kingjames23 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:51 am

ok... back on topic...

the first 5 players (MJ, Bird, Magic, Jabbar, Dr.J) were all champions. because of this, we will most likely get to play against their respective rivals in "challange mode" and then take each through legend mode. this means that the more champions get put in that list of 10 remaining players... the more of their "rivals" that will also be available to use in other modes (association)

besides... as much as i would like to play as karl malone or charles barkley...the best we could hope for in challenge mode playing as either one is "lose to the Bulls" unless there are reverse challanges where one could change history... otherwise playing as iverson would culminate in losing to the Lakers and playing overseas... see. not fun.

so my list... in the interest of having more rivalries, and actually winning titles

1 Shaquille O'Neal (taking out Miller, Iverson, Kidd and Dirk in seperate finals? epic battles with Sacramento?)
2 David Robinson (beating shaq for the scoring title, finally winning a title with rookie duncan)
3 Hakeem Olajuwon (taking down Robinson inthe playoffs, Ewinq and Shaq in the finals... hells yeah)
4 Isiah Thomas (broken ankle game... 2 titles, beating down the Bulls )
5 Willis Reed (2 titles... vs Wilt... id call thata challenge)
6 Rick Barry or John Havlicek (tough to decide here)
7 Oscar Robertson (team up with Kareem for a title and be a triple double machine)
8 Wilt Chamberlain (100 pt game, 2 titles with 2 different teams? just a awesome and obvious entry)
9 Jerry west (title, clutch moments...)
10 Bill Russell (more rings than you can shake a stick at... )
kingjames23

Postby kingjames23 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 am

i think only retired players should be the focus of this mode, and only champions.

so no Kobe in Challenge mode or Legend mode yet... he should be an AI controlled teammate to Shaq (for example)

the developers arent even looking at current players to be Legendary... and besides... how would you start their career over as a rookie if theyre still in the leauge???

the idea of reversing history could be a selling point for future installments. i'm sure all those Utah fans out there would love to have the satisfaction of stomping Jordan and beating the Bulls for 2 titles.... just a thought.
kingjames23

Postby BIG GREEN on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 am

I'm with the young NBA fans...I would love to play kobe's greatest games. Now that he is almost in his twilight years...I've really come to appreciate the player. You guys have some good lists though... I just hope they do what the people want and add shaq to the list. His early 2000's finals performances were insane.
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby kingjames23 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:41 am

i say they should save Kobe... Wade... Duncan... Garnett ... for future games. besides Kobe could win a couple more titles before he is done. Kobe NOW would be premature. besides we are talking legends here. as in stars of the past. Kobe is a star of the now. Shaq however, JUST retired. so he qualifies.

and Lebron hasn't become legendary yet. you can toss his name in the mix in another 10 years or so if he's got some rings by then.

besides.. any of Jordan's rivals in 2k11 could be placed in the free agent pool in association mode, so if you want to play as Drexler (for example) edit him back to his rookie self and put him in your free agent list or assign him to a team. player lock. there you go.

i am sure the same could be done for the rivals in 2k12. want to play Iverson in his mvp year? edit his age back down to his rookie year.... and there you go.

using champions for this list ensures that the teams they beat GET IN THE GAME as well.

if you want to score 81 with kobe againt the raptors... you already can. he is still in the game. call it a repeat performance. when Kobe retires... then add him. besides... that way... they can add a new legend everytime a former champion retires. so in the next few years... duncan and garnett challenges to look forward to. its the smart way to go about it. add kobe in like 5 years.
i would rather score Wilt's 100
kingjames23

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:21 am

kingjames23 wrote:the first 5 players (MJ, Bird, Magic, Jabbar, Dr.J) were all champions. because of this, we will most likely get to play against their respective rivals in "challange mode" and then take each through legend mode. this means that the more champions get put in that list of 10 remaining players... the more of their "rivals" that will also be available to use in other modes (association)

besides... as much as i would like to play as karl malone or charles barkley...the best we could hope for in challenge mode playing as either one is "lose to the Bulls" unless there are reverse challanges where one could change history... otherwise playing as iverson would culminate in losing to the Lakers and playing overseas... see. not fun.

I see your point but I don't think that's necessarily the case. Not all games in the Jordan Challenge were from the NBA Finals and not all memorable games are Finals games. Statistical feats that would be difficult to replicate would still be an appropriate challenge for the mode, such as Wilt's 100 which came in an otherwise meaningless regular season game. Only the game itself needs to be singularly important, not the result of the series or the overall scope of the season.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby car88935 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:07 pm

How long until they will announce the other players?
car88935

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:33 pm

The announcement and roster reveal is apparently coming this Friday.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby kingjames23 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:38 pm

salivating over the possibilities here. this lockout seems to be the best thing that could happen to those of us gamers who are all about the old school players. not so great for NBA fans so much... but for gamers? 15 legends... with their rookie ratings? with whoever makes the cut... this will be fun for sure.
kingjames23

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:57 pm

rookie ratings? rookie?
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 pm

That's assuming they're also available in a Creating a Legend-type mode after they've been unlocked.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K12