IGN confirms NBA 2K12 will be at E3

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

IGN confirms NBA 2K12 will be at E3

Postby Andrew on Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 am

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are on The Big List of games that have been officially confirmed for the event, which begins June 6th.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: IGN confirms NBA 2K12 will be at E3

Postby Houndy on Wed May 18, 2011 10:57 am

:o :applaud:
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Bboy500 on Wed May 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Cant wait :D although i think it will be hard to top 2k11... I have never had this much fun with a sports game before. Nor did i play 1 for this long, I feel like NBA 2k11 could last me years.
Bboy500

Postby Patr1ck on Wed May 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Interesting. If they are willing to show it off this early, then they must have something good.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed May 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Agreed, though they had the benefit of having a great game to build upon in NBA 2K11 so it's not that surprising. They must have something big lined up though, a feature along the lines of the Jordan Challenge (though possibly a different concept) perhaps.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Wed May 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Historic teams. I feels it.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Wed May 18, 2011 7:07 pm

Hitman: Absolution

i just got really excited. in a time where $60 games are an investment, this is an insta-buy for me. then i read "2012" :cry:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Wed May 18, 2011 8:47 pm

shadowgrin wrote:Historic teams. I feels it.

IMHO that's not that big a selling point for most.

Either way, it's going to take a lot for me to both purchasing 2k12 when 2k11 can keep me happy for another year or so.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Wed May 18, 2011 8:56 pm

The X wrote:

Either way, it's going to take a lot for me to both purchasing 2k12 when 2k11 can keep me happy for another year or so.

It will be when there's a lockout.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby The X on Wed May 18, 2011 8:58 pm

shadowgrin wrote:
The X wrote:

If they have historic teams, then the cover would have to have Bird & Magic on it at minimum :P
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 pm

shadowgrin wrote:
The X wrote:

Historic teams would definitely be good compensation for a lockout, in my opinion. Memorable games/series from recent years would be a welcome feature as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon May 23, 2011 10:27 am

It's gotta be historic teams, I agree with shadow.

I'm happy the veil can be lifted early this year since they don't have to worry about the competition stealing their ideas......not that that has happened before (Living Rosters copying daily DNA) but I always thought that was a silly excuse on 2k's part for withholding information until August.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Mon May 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Especially considering that they have been stealing ideas for years.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benji on Mon May 23, 2011 9:06 pm

I really doubt "idea theft" is why they don't show stuff early. E3 is June, that's like three months or less before Gold, you aren't adding major changes to your game at that point. Plus there's the whole bullshit about having to waste time creating a demo for the show floor. On a nine-month dev cycle that kills you. On a two-three year one where you're coming down the pike, it's easier.

I'd say it has far more to do with not showing the game to prevent any flaws from killing sales before release.

Like say, Jesus Bynum. Imagine if that came out of E3 instead of the demo.
JaoSming wrote:Living Rosters copying daily DNA

I wouldn't call some asshole failing at his job to be copying a flawed automated system.

Besides, it was the logical conclusion of roster updates once consoles are always connected. I'd argue that the 2K Insider is basically us roster patchers but paid for it. (Which probably makes me laugh at his failures even more.)
benji

Postby JaoSming on Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Pdub wrote:Especially considering that they have been stealing ideas for years.

I just thought both companies were following Beluba's vision

benji wrote:I wouldn't call some asshole failing at his job to be copying a flawed automated system.

so true
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 pm

Living rosters was obviously a last minute attempt at providing a similar feature to ea's daily updates. It took them another cycle to come up with nba today, which is cool but nothing like dynamic season our live rewind. Freestyle control with the right stock, isomotion with the right stock. My player mode, become legendary. 2k had right stick passing years ago, ea got freestyle passing. Both have had Lockdown defense. It goes back and forth.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benji on Tue May 24, 2011 10:53 am

I have to disagree with the notion that any of this is "stealing" and if it is replication it has much to do with the evolution of standards and technology. And if anything the conceptualization of who "owns" the idea comes down to mostly marketing wars and not actual "theft" of someone elses ideas.

Where is your evidence that "living rosters" were "obviously a last minute attempt"? 2K had been doing semi-regular roster updates as far back as ESPN NBA Basketball. Living Rosters is obviously a continuation, expansion and formalization of that using the newly expanded connectivity of consoles.

Using the right analog stick came about at roughly the same time, 2K3's development could not have allowed for consideration of using the right stick because it started on the Dreamcast, had a shortened development cycle due to shuffling off to the other consoles. I think it's a rather obvious utilization as prior input methods simply didn't allow for anything but wooden player control, and we were discussing such concepts as far back as 2000. Inside Drive 2002 utilized a "deke" system on the sticks based off of Inside Drive's 2000's system of a modifier button. Also had an alternative passing method on the right stick.

My Player and Become Legendary are both versions of "be-a-pro" which debuted across all EA games in 2008. And that is used even farther back in games such as MLB 99 with it's "spring training" mode. And My Player has enough similarities now to where I'd call it a professionalization of 24/7 mode.

All of the right stick passing is merely again utilizing a new standardized input method for evolution of an older feature, directional passing which has been around for decades combined with icon passing which has been around since when at least Madden debuted.

I really cannot characterize this as "stealing" especially by pretending that the rest of the gaming and sports gaming world does not exist and there is merely Live and 2K. Unless we're going to accuse every game of having stolen Baseball Mogul's "franchise mode" as if it wasn't an obvious evolution of season mode and desire of every sports gaming fan and developer once console technology caught up. Just look at the stuff in 1990s wishlists and the various stuff that stuck around in them for decades.

But to return to my original point. There's simply no way that showing something at E3 will be "stolen" for that years game. In fact, the only thing that would change would be marketing methodology. I would consider that VC makes only one sports title which would have been presented alone (with the death of NHL 2K) last year, while EA has the entire EA Sports brand with multiple titles that could be presented together, which is why they just announced the Jordan cover and showed video in a meeting room. The year before when 2K Sports had multiple games to show they wasted space on it and also made the cover announcement at E3. They also might not have had all the legal rights for the older players locked down and the Jordan Challenge may not then have been as "deep" as it wound up becoming once they did. (Jordan beating up on all those 50 rated random players rather than Malone and Stockton would definitely have underwhelmed and maybe even killed off the hype.)
benji

Postby J@3 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:12 am

Historic teams do nothing for me tbh. I only play association mode. Full college/high school system, that's where it's at.
J@3

Postby benji on Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 am

EA has the exclusive NCAA license. I don't know if 2K would want to use fake teams.
benji

Postby Andrew on Tue May 24, 2011 11:15 am

benji wrote:I really cannot characterize this as "stealing" especially by pretending that the rest of the gaming and sports gaming world does not exist and there is merely Live and 2K. Unless we're going to accuse every game of having stolen Baseball Mogul's "franchise mode" as if it wasn't an obvious evolution of season mode and desire of every sports gaming fan and developer once console technology caught up. Just look at the stuff in 1990s wishlists and the various stuff that stuck around in them for decades.

Agreed, "stealing" has clear negative connotations which isn't appropriate. Frankly, I think it's good that a developer looks at what's working for the competition and looks to implement something similar. If it's a good idea for an NBA video game and the fans want it, then both developers should consider it. It doesn't really matter who had it first, except perhaps when it comes to bragging rights amongst fanboys.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 am

I used the word "stealing" lightly. I guess influenced would be a better choice. The point was basically that ideas get shared, borrowed, influenced, stolen, or however you like to put it.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed May 25, 2011 1:56 pm

True, and as I said I think that's good for both titles. There are definitely things that EA should be looking at.

I'd have to agree with Jon too, with Mike Wang going to EA and back in the last couple of years his influence is probably a factor here too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Wed May 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Absolutely, Wang has brought ideas back and forth. Iirc, there were some ea devs other then Mike Wang who worked on 2k bball games before moving to ea.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby XPviper on Mon May 30, 2011 2:16 am

Well if I remember correctly NBA 2k9 was also shown at E3 so it's not something new... They will probably show a few photoshoped images and say that some features will be improved, but they will not go into details with that.. So I do not expect to hear much about it, hopefully we will get to know who is on the cover :)
XPviper

Postby Andrew on Mon May 30, 2011 11:15 am

Nobody said it was something new. It's just confirmation that the game will be on display at E3 again this year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K12