River Walk Chronicles ♦ ///

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Paradise Garage [S02] ♦ Preseason (Week 2) ///

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 am

Lower back strain leads to injured list for Duncan; Cousin activated

SAN ANTONIO (ESPN, October 16) -- D-League champion Marcus Cousin will make his much anticipated debut with the San Antonio Spurs tomorrow. Cousin, who was signed by the Spurs last year, was activated in time for the Spurs' game against the Philadelphia 76ers. He spent the entire season with the Austin Toros and along with James Gist, led the team to the D-League Championship, averaging 16.7 points, 9.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists. To make room for Cousin on their active roster, the Spurs placed Tim Duncan on the injured list with a lower back strain.

Penciled in as the team's starting center, Duncan averaged 14.7 points, 10.6 rebounds and a league-high 3.0 blocks while playing 73 games last season, earning Defensive Player of the Year honors in the process. He has career averages of 20.7 points, 11.5 rebounds and 2.3 rejections in 1050 career games. Without Duncan, the Spurs had a 14-1 record last season. The Spurs defeated the New York Knicks on Saturday, 110-104, with 20 points from Duncan (before leaving the game) and 30 by Manu Ginobili.

Maggette's 4th quarter explosion lifts Spurs over Sixers
Preview | Recap | Game Info | Full Play-by-Play | Boxscores (SAS :: PHI)

PHILADELPHIA (ESPN, October 17) -- In the break prior the fourth quarter, Corey Maggette's teammates and coaches were imploring the swingman to take charge of the game against Philadelphia... so he did. After going 0-of-5 from the floor in the third period, Maggette scored 11 fourth period points, including the game winner and finishing the game with 21 points to help the Spurs thump the Sixers, 89-87. Lamar Odom had a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds and Manu Ginobili scored a game-best 26 points for the Spurs, undefeated in the preseason at 4-0. Ginobili also had a game-high plus-minus of +14, while Maggette grabbed eight rebounds. “Manu was talking to me the whole game, telling me to be more aggressive. Mike (Budenholzer) said to take over, be more assertive.” Ginobili added, “He's done that so many times for us last year. He's really stepped up big for us.”

Evan Turner led Philadelphia with 24 points and four rebounds, while Marreese Speights scored 13 points and 15 boards before fouling out with 2:33 to play in the contest. Andre Iguodala had 13 points for the Sixers, who led by as many as 8 points early in the second quarter but a 12-2 San Antonio run tied the game 40-40 at intermission. Maggette's late burst caught Iguodala, who played only 21 minutes, by surprise. “He was looking to score in the third quarter but our defense kept him out,” said Iguodala, “but in the fourth he was unstoppable.” Sixers coach Doug Collins agreed: “Corey carried the team on his back when they needed him the most. His last layup was a dagger.” Marcus Cousin made his debut with the Spurs and scored 4 points and three rebounds, while former NLSC Academy member Leo Lai contributed with five points for Philadelphia.

Tony Parker, who also had a double-double with 10 points and ten assists, drove the lane for a basket and a 87-85 lead with 28 seconds left. Jrue Holiday then was fouled on a drive and made both shots from the charity stripe with 22 seconds to go, but Philadelphia had no timeouts after Maggette's layup. A hurried shot from halfcourt by Turner (who had 11 points in the third period) missed at the final buzzer. “I've always had confidence in my ability to score,” said Turner. “But I'd rather score 15 and win the game.” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said his team got lucky. “Turner killed us. He made shots from everywhere, and I must admit Speights surprised me.” San Antonio's accuracy from the free throw line proved to be a key: 19-of-22 (86 percent) against Philly's 13-of-23 (56 percent). The Sixers also had seven turnovers, while the Spurs only had two in the entire game. The teams play again on October 25 in San Antonio.
Image Image Image Image Image

Amar'e, Azubuike combine for 46 points in Knicks victory over San Antonio
Preview | Recap | Game Info | Full Play-by-Play | Boxscores (SAS :: NYK)

NEW YORK (ESPN, October 19) -- Amar'e Stoudemire is feeling rejuvenated in New York and his Knicks teammates are happy to follow his lead. Stoudemire scored 26 points and 11 rebounds, along with two assists, two steals and a rejection, to lead his team over the San Antonio Spurs, 102-95. The former Phoenix Sun made 11-of-17 shots from the field, most of them layups and dunks, killing San Antonio's interior defense. He scored only nine points in the first half, but then found his way after intermission, scoring another nine in the fourth period. “Amar'e has always played consistently, but now we're winning games and he's in the spotlight,” said his teammate Kelenna Azubuike, who added 20 points, 14 in the first half. Stoudemire and Azubuike's success helped Danilo Gallinari play more freely, contributing with 14 points off the bench.

With this win, the Knicks have been victorious in three games in a row this preseason after starting 0-2, including a loss to the Spurs last week. Stoudemire is averaging over 27 points and shooting almost 60 percent in this five games, and has the squad in good position for a dark horse bet this year. “If Amar'e keeps up like this, he will be in contention for the MVP,” said Corey Maggette, who scored a game-best 31 points -- 10 in the third -- for the Spurs. “He's their star. They went to him and he didn't disappoint.” Raymond Felton scored eight points for New York before leaving the game with a broken ankle; he will miss the start of the regular season. Rookie Zach Pollard took his place and posted 13 points, three rebounds and five assists. Wilson Chandler and Anthony Randolph made six Knicks in double figures, with 14 and 10 points, respectively.

The Spurs are having a hard time finding a consistent scorer who can deliver right now with Tim Duncan unavailable, specially during some stretches of the game when they fall out of rhythm. Coach Gregg Popovich tried a lineup with Michael Redd in the starting lineup and Manu Ginobili as a reserve: Redd posted 12 points while Ginobili shot 5-of-20 for 15 points. Tony Parker had another double-double, with 12 points and 11 rebounds, but started the game 1-of-7 from the floor. Lamar Odom added 11 and 14 boards, but shot 3-of-10. “That is something that has me worried,” Popovich said. “We need to find a way to win games when one of our main core guys is injured.” Odom said: “It looked like we didn't have a lot of energy at some points.” As usual, San Antonio took advantage of charity stripe opportunities, but New York was better in the paint (36-24) and also had more second chance and fast break points.

Last edited by kibaxx7 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
X-Men: The Animated Series ×
× Watched:
Blazing Saddles (1974), Signs (2002), The Other (1972) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: Paradise Garage [S02] ♦ Preseason (Week 2) FINALLY... //

Postby KidJustin on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:04 am

oh this thing is still happening? :roll: lol just kidding! glad ur finally able to find time to get this going again! now we got to get George some free time and we will all be back in business again..haha

anyways...is it just me or does the San Antonio Express News header look a little blurry? is that for that real news paper feel or am i just getting bad eyes...?

either way...sucks for Timmy...but u get to see how the team will do with Odumb starting. and its only preseason. so its all good for now

big ups for Mags @ Philly. he has to be my fav player on ur team right now. (i was tempted to try and get him back in my association but...1) iggy was available and 2) i thought u might be sad to loose him on ur spurs haha)
KidJustin

Postby Mavs4Life on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:13 am

Whoo, I've missed this. Suprised the Sixers gave you that much of a close call. Lamar will start till Duncan's back awesome!
Mavs4Life

Postby Martti. on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:33 am

Make Redd your Keith Bogans, so Manu can be 6th man of the year!
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby George7 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:17 am

You raised the difficulty?? :mrgreen:
lol jk, nice to see this back!!

In fact,you might have an update from my story soon enough as well,I have to finish the playoffs!!
George7

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 am

KidJustin wrote:oh this thing is still happening? :roll: lol just kidding! glad ur finally able to find time to get this going again! now we got to get George some free time and we will all be back in business again..haha

anyways...is it just me or does the San Antonio Express News header look a little blurry? is that for that real news paper feel or am i just getting bad eyes...?

either way...sucks for Timmy...but u get to see how the team will do with Odumb starting. and its only preseason. so its all good for now

big ups for Mags @ Philly. he has to be my fav player on ur team right now. (i was tempted to try and get him back in my association but...1) iggy was available and 2) i thought u might be sad to loose him on ur spurs haha)

Of course this is still rolling! The header does look a little blurry, had to do it like that or it would look pixelated... Odom is exploding with his new teammates, two double-doubles in a row. Maggs was great against Philly, but I simmed both games... If I go 0/5 with a player then I won't shoot another 5 in the fourth quarter :P

Mavs4Life wrote:Whoo, I've missed this. Suprised the Sixers gave you that much of a close call. Lamar will start till Duncan's back awesome!

Yeah Turner is starting to play like his NCAA days. Until TD comes back, yeah, Lamar will start. :cheeky:

Martti. wrote:Make Redd your Keith Bogans, so Manu can be 6th man of the year!

That would be nice. But my real goal is to give Blair a MIP... watch out!

George7 wrote:You raised the difficulty?? :mrgreen:
lol jk, nice to see this back!!

In fact,you might have an update from my story soon enough as well,I have to finish the playoffs!!

I did raise the difficulty, but went to sim both games and watched them as I did some other things. Can't wait for your update man!

As I said, I went to sim both games... I'll surely do that again in the regular season, don't expect another 82 played games.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Valor on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:02 am

Timmy D should probably take some rest every now and then even without the injury as well, now that you have Odom you can afford to rest him for the playoffs :wink:
Good to see you updating again man, looks like we are coming back active (for me, very inconsistently....) at the same time (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Cruzerr on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:51 am

OMG Y U NO THIERRY THIS.

Kidding mate. Love to see this roll on. I agree with Valor. Resting Timmy should be a main factor for you.

Keen to see what Redd will pull off(still skeptical).
"Say whatever you want, m*therf*cker. Just say my name"
Cruzerr

Postby Houndy on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:32 am

Agreed with Valor and Cruzerr, Timmy needs his rest
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby KidJustin on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:40 pm

f*ck that...play tim every game! dont hold back the best PF in NBA history (and he's only the best until Blake Griffin passes him :roll: )
KidJustin

Postby rise on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:05 am

Happy birthday! :lol:
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Houndy on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:55 am

KidJustin wrote:f*ck that...play tim every game! dont hold back the best PF in NBA history (and he's only the best until Blake Griffin passes him :roll: )

Someone needs to look at his NBA History...
Houndy

Postby Gamebreaker on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:15 am

Duncan being injured makes this more intriguing. After all, he's still an important piece.

Egh, the Spurs should be better able to survive without him these days. Especially with LO in tow.

14-1 WITHOUT Duncan last year?? Looks like you'll be undefeated in this one then.
Gamebreaker

Paradise Garage [S02] ♦ Preseason Wrapping ///

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:13 pm

New “Fantastic Four” group leads Spurs to victory at Los Angeles
Preview | Recap | Game Info | Full Play-by-Play | Boxscores (SAS :: LAC)

LOS ANGELES (ESPN, October 23) -- Manu Ginobili had a tough assignment on defense in trying to slow Eric Gordon, but Manu decided to make it tough for the Clippers emerging guard to stay with him on the other end of the court: Ginobili scored a game-leading 34 points as the San Antonio Spurs beat Los Angeles, 105-89. “Manu has been great all season long. He's a big part of what we do. I know this year will be no different,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. “He knows where he's supposed to be on this squad. We ask him to guard their most active player and he does that. When he plays well, we play well.” Ginobili, who came in after struggling in a loss at New York (5/20 from the floor), ran the entire court well for points in transition and was accurate from the perimeter, shooting 12-of-25 overall and 7-of-14 from beyond the arc, cutting inside behind the Clippers' defense for 24 points in the first half, 11 in the first period.

Corey Maggette's 1-2 punch helped the Spurs solidify their title credentials. “Every game, even a preseason game, means something,” said Maggette, who added 27 points for San Antonio, 8-of-12 from the field. “I'm just trying to give all I can. That's my job, just to give my team everything.” Both Lamar Odom and Tony Parker contributed with double-doubles for the Spurs, who shot only 41 percent, but were, as usual, more than effective in the charity stripe: 27-of-31 (87 percent). Odom was a force on both ends of the floor, with 16 points and 17 rebounds, as the Frenchman had 12 points, five boards and ten assists. San Antonio led by 18 in the second quarter before holding on without much trouble; the Clippers couldn't get any closer than ten points after a dunk by Chris Kaman made it 95-85 in the fourth period. Signing Michael Redd was 1-of-7 from the field, struggling for four points and five rebounds. Ginobili and DeJuan Blair each had a game-best plus-minus of +24 -- Blair's defense on Kaman (who shot 6-of-17 for 13 points) was a big reason for this triumph.

Gordon needed 23 shots to score 22 points and lead the Clippers in scoring; 10 of those shots came in the fourth quarter, while all three of his assists were in the first half. “He was able to find others early. We had to make him start taking shots,” said Ginobili. Blake Griffin posted 17 points, while Randy Foye added 14. The loss was the Clippers' fourth in six games. “Obviously, San Antonio plays very efficient basketball and they're not going to beat themselves,“ Foye said. “They had the answers to keep the game under control in the second half.” Rookie Johnny Grady added seven points and 11 boards for the Clippers, who never led in the final three quarters, despite their bench defeating San Antonio's, 29-16. “We're not matching the intensity of our rivals,” Clippers coach Vinny del Negro said. “They are going to go on runs. We just have to find a way to be better on defense.”

Parker-Manu tandem gives San Antonio win over Philly in preseason finale
Preview | Recap | Game Info | Full Play-by-Play | Boxscores (PHI :: SAS)

SAN ANTONIO (ESPN, October 25) -- A halftime talk is all Tony Parker needed. Fueled by a speech from an injured Tim Duncan in the locker room, Parker scored 19 of his 26 points in the second half and added seven assists to help the San Antonio Spurs survive a late Philadelphia rally and win 110-101. With the Spurs leading 101-100, Manu Ginobili (+10) hit two free throws, then Parker blocked Jodie Meeks at the other end, leading to a driving layup by Lamar Odom that made it 105-100. A 10-feet jumper by Maggette -- his only made field goal of the night -- left the score at 107-100. “Early in the game, Tony settled for jump shots,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. “He didn't go to the basket. At halftime Tim talked to him about taking the ball to the basket... and he listened.” Ginobili finished with 22 points and seven rebounds and Odom had 17 and eight for the Spurs.

Maggette was 1-of-9 for 13 points (coming off fresh from a 8-of-12 performance at Los Angeles), but made 11-of-12 shots from the charity stripe. Parker, Ginobili and Maggette combined for 30-of-36 free throws. The Spurs were 14-1 without Duncan last season -- and it doesn't look like it's gonna change this year. Even Tiago Splitter made his contribution, with 10 points, staying perfect from the floor at 4/4. “Tony carried us tonight,” said Duncan, on street clothes, getting closer and closer to his return date. Elton Brand notched in 18 points and 11 rebounds -- before leaving the game with a twisted ankle -- while rookie Leo Lai added 17 and five for the Sixers, who lost bigman Marreese Speights to a sprained knee in the second quarter. “I haven't had the courage to go and ask about it,” said coach Doug Collins. With the Sixers already without Andre Iguodala (lower back strain), the team had little to combat Maggette and Ginobili's penetrations.

Spencer Hawes, who picked up three fouls in four minutes in the first quarter trying to guard Splitter, struggled to contain rookie Artem Popov after coming in for Speights. Popov had three shots in the spurt -- all of his six points -- as the Spurs built a 19-point advantage at halftime. Lai shot 7-of-10 from the floor, while Evan Turner had nine of his 13 points in the first half, for a plus-minus of -16. “We have guys out, they are things you have to adjust to,” said Hawes, who posted 16 points for Philadelphia. “That's the best we could do with what we had,” Collins added. “We didn't have an answer for Parker. We made our own run down the stretch, but I guess we used all the energy on our tanks.” The Sixers had a 16-point deficit entering the last period, but went on an 12-2 run to keep the drama. A 3-pointer by James Anderson put the Spurs ahead to stay, 110-100. Turner added a consolation shot from the free throw line.

Last edited by kibaxx7 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: Paradise Garage [S02] ♦ Preseason Wrapping ///

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Valor wrote:Timmy D should probably take some rest every now and then even without the injury as well, now that you have Odom you can afford to rest him for the playoffs :wink:
Good to see you updating again man, looks like we are coming back active (for me, very inconsistently....) at the same time (Y)

Yeah, that's the idea, give him more rest this year, considering the additions to the roster. Also being inconsistent with the updates, I'm trying to speed this up.

Cruzerr wrote:OMG Y U NO THIERRY THIS.

Kidding mate. Love to see this roll on. I agree with Valor. Resting Timmy should be a main factor for you.

Keen to see what Redd will pull off(still skeptical).

Thanks man, I'm getting 2K12 in this days but I don't see a reason to stop this. Redd had some nice games, and some terrible games :P

Houndy wrote:Agreed with Valor and Cruzerr, Timmy needs his rest

I know, I know!

KidJustin wrote:f*ck that...play tim every game! dont hold back the best PF in NBA history (and he's only the best until Blake Griffin passes him :roll: )

Nah, I have to give him some time in the bench to rest his body. I will need him for the playoffs!

z02 wrote:Happy birthday! :lol:

:lol: Thanks bro, thanks!

Gamebreaker wrote:Duncan being injured makes this more intriguing. After all, he's still an important piece.

Egh, the Spurs should be better able to survive without him these days. Especially with LO in tow.

14-1 WITHOUT Duncan last year?? Looks like you'll be undefeated in this one then.

Duncan always get injured at some point. Yes, 14-1 without him, I was able to spread the scoring without any issues. :)

Ok guys, I want to speed this up, not because I'm getting 2K12 but because this is going very slow. Maybe monthly reports?
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Justine. on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:47 pm

It's up to you man, just post an update. I want you to win the title at least if you're planning to do a story in 2K12. Loving those article layout man. (Y)
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby KidJustin on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 am

whatever it takes to start my NBA rivalry with Axel.

do it! haha
KidJustin

Postby Houndy on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:20 am

Nice article,Odom is going to be a key player in your rotation
Houndy

Postby Valor on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Odom >>>> everyone else on the Spurs (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Gamebreaker on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm

The reaction to Speights' knee, that sounded definitely like something Doug Collins would say. I'm jealous.

I would imagine a Tim Duncan halftime speech would be him just staring, blank-faced. Not saying a word.

Play all 82, baby. No cheating!
Gamebreaker

Postby Martti. on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm sticking with my 'start Redd' suggestion.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Re: River Walk Chronicles: Paradise Garage ♦ S02 Kick-Off //

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Justine. wrote:It's up to you man, just post an update. I want you to win the title at least if you're planning to do a story in 2K12. Loving those article layout man. (Y)

This is going very slow. I'd be ok with monthly recaps, but I don't want to go much faster either, so I dunno. The title will come sooner or later :cheeky:

KidJustin wrote:whatever it takes to start my NBA rivalry with Axel.

do it! haha

Haha it's starting right now!

Houndy wrote:Nice article,Odom is going to be a key player in your rotation

Yes he will. I gotta get the 6th man award for him this time.

Valor wrote:Odom >>>> everyone else on the Spurs (Y)

I know you aren't a fan of Manu, but he has been the team's MVP so far (despite shooting more than 6+ threes per game, gotta fix his tendencies)...

Gamebreaker wrote:The reaction to Speights' knee, that sounded definitely like something Doug Collins would say. I'm jealous.

I would imagine a Tim Duncan halftime speech would be him just staring, blank-faced. Not saying a word.

Play all 82, baby. No cheating!

Collins can turn the Sixers around. And with Leo Lai (Valor) aboard, they will be scary. There's simply no chance I can play all 82 again -- I had to sim all my preseason games. Sorry man, but I will play some once in a while. Most of them will be simmed.

Martti. wrote:I'm sticking with my 'start Redd' suggestion.

It's one of the options. But having the team MVP on the bench is not very clever. I'd say the real problem is starting Odom or Maggs.

Ok so the first week of the regular season coming in a few days. As I said to Gamebreaker, most of the games will be simmed, will play 2 games a week MAX. I will play all playoff games, that's for sure.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Valor on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Actually I quite like Manu haha, like Kobe said, he's a bad boy (Y) It's just his flops that I don't like....and of course, Odom is practically my favorite non-star player :wink:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby hova- on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:51 pm

You better play Timmy D. Dejuan is way undersized for a C (he actually even is for a PF) and you could simply lower Duncan's minutes to like 25 a game. But start him!
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby KidJustin on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Thierry • wrote:I'd say the real problem is starting Odom or Maggs.[/b]

there is no question....Maggs all the way!

its like saying...whos is the better athlete...

this:

or this:
KidJustin

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame