-|[ BALTIMORE CLAWS ]| -

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

What should Abe Ingram work on in the off-season?

Gain more weight + strength
6%
Develop outside shot more
33%
Develop ball handling skills
6%
Quickness/speed
11%
Jumping/dunking
No votes
Anything related to playing D
44%

Total votes : 18

-|[ BALTIMORE CLAWS ]| -

Postby J@3 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:45 pm

The Baltimore Claws were a real team in the American Basketball Association. They had real players, a real coach, real owners and a real jersey. What they lacked was real money, real managerial competence and an appearance in a real ABA game.

The team was bought by a consortium of Maryland businessmen for one million dollars in 1975, with the aim of having the team play out of Baltimore. Not satisfied with the practices of said businessmen, ABA Commissioner Dave DeBusschere rescinded on the deal and awarded the franchise to a different consortium in Memphis. The next day, that group backed out and the team was given back to the original Baltimore owners. This is where their problems begin.

Originally named the Baltimore Hustlers, the team was forced to change it due to complaints coming from not only the ABA but the Baltimore community at-large. After an ambitious deal to acquire future hall of famer Dan Issel fell through, the team took to the floor in pre-season with a makeshift roster of unwanted veterans and a former ABA All-Star in Mel Daniels.

Amazingly, the Claws managed to play three whole pre-season games without paying any of their players or coaches a cent. Once the ABA got wind of the situation, they took action;

Actual ABA statement wrote: The American Basketball Association has terminated the Baltimore Claws franchise effective immediately.

Earlier this season, before Baltimore made application, we were prepared to go with nine financially strong franchises. The Baltimore franchise was available subject to certain financial commitments. The investors' group has failed to meet these commitments despite being granted additional time by the league to resolve their internal and financial problems. While we regret this turn of events, we owe it to the rest of the ABA fans and the players on the Baltimore roster to start our season with strong, financially sound clubs.

Each of our clubs will fill in the gaps on the schedule created by the loss of Baltimore. All will play 42 home and away games. A dispersal draft of Baltimore's players will be conducted by the league office in the near future.

In a bizarre yet saddening show of loyalty, Mel Daniels decided that rather than play for another ABA franchise. The ABA, struggling to keep teams afloat, reached their long term goal and eventually merged with the NBA after the 75-76 season with the Baltimore Claws never heard or spoken of again, until now.

UPDATES

November, 2009 Game Recaps
November, 2009 Player Evaluations
December, 2009 Game Recaps
December, 2009 Player Evaluations
January, 2010 Game Recaps
January, 2010 Player Evaluations
January, 2010 Historical Player Comparisons
February, 2010 Game Recaps
February, 2010 Free Agency Preview Pt. 1
February, 2010 Free Agency Preview Pt. 2
February, 2010 Hot/Cold Player Evals
March/April, 2010 Game Recaps
March/April, 2010 Around The League
March/April, 2010 Hot/Cold Player Evals
March/April, 2010 End Of Season Claws Awards
2009-2010 Play-Off Recap
2009-2010 Draft Preview
2009-2010 NBA Draft Lottery
2009-2010 NBA Draft - First Round
2009-2010 NBA Draft - Second Round + Draft Grades
J@3

Re: Return Of The Baltimore Claws

Postby J@3 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:46 pm

NEW JERSEY NETS RELOCATION DREAM NOT QUITE WHAT IT SEEMED

The New Jersey Nets, having sealed a permanent move to Brooklyn thanks to a large cash injection from new owner Mikhail D. Prokhorov, were stunned and upset to find that Brooklyn is actually Russian for Bolotnoye, a town of 18,000 people located 126km's from Novosibirsk. They will play in the Баскетбольная Cуперлига and will be missed dearly.

The NBA would like to announce the Baltimore Claws as the team to replace the Bolotonoye Nets and become the NBA's 30th franchise. The Claws were an ABA franchise who's owners managed to get through three entire pre-season games without paying a cent to anyone before collapsing, as such we feel lightning never strikes twice and it makes complete sense to revisit this team.

In these tough and uncertain economic times, consessions will be made. There will be no expansion draft, there will be no bonus draft pick. The Claws will be forced to sign only existing free agents and in the interest of not diluting the leagues talent pool they will not be able to make any trades.

As he has spent the last 30 years sitting in a dark and empty room clutching a Claws jersey and rocking back and forth, Mel Daniels has been appointed the head coach for the 2009-2010 NBA season.

Love,
David Stern

PS: Baltimore sux

BALTIMORE CLAWS ANNOUNCE OPENING DAY ROSTER, HAVE PAID PLAYERS ... APPARENTLY

NBA 2K10 - Xbox 360
Superstar Difficulty
10 Minute Quarters
29 Game Season
Conference Quarter Finals: 1 Game
Conference Semi Finals: Best Of Three
Conference Finals: Best Of 5
NBA Finals: 1 game

Franchise Rules:

:arrow: The initial team must be made up of nothing but free agents.
:arrow: No player trades can be made of any kind.
:arrow: Draft picks are eligible to be signed and play for the team.
:arrow: Free agent signings can only be made after the free agency period has elapsed
:arrow: Draft picks may only be traded for other draft picks

I'll be playing all the games and doing recaps/updates every (in game) month. So there may be like a week or so between each update depending on how many games are in each month. First update will come tonight or tomorrow, any further questions about how this will work just let me know.
J@3

Postby Lamrock on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:04 pm

No trades? That's gonna be tough. Are the Nets players free agents? Either way, cool idea, and hopefully this is as quality as your patching thread. (Y)
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:08 pm

I hope you sign Patty Mills in the offseason if he's available. Dunno if you like him but I think he would be solid for a team like yours, which really has nobody.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Lamrock on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Well, he has Ha, so there's that. He also has Darius Miles, James White and Stromile Swift delivering the dunx!
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:16 pm

I'm happy with inclusions of D Miles and James White. :)
Fresh8

Postby J@3 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Lamrock wrote:No trades? That's gonna be tough. Are the Nets players free agents?

Nah, I thought that'd be a bit too easy.

I hope you sign Patty Mills in the offseason if he's available. Dunno if you like him but I think he would be solid for a team like yours, which really has nobody.

I'd love to have him, problem is I have to wait until the end of the FA period to sign anyone so he might already be gone. I'm going to try not to sign an entirely different squad every season but if Mills is there I'd pick him up for sure.
J@3

Postby Valor on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Love the idea, but where are the Nets players going? a dispersal draft or are you just removing them from the league altogether?
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby |)e8* on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:32 pm

Great idea.Nice lineup btw
Thank you maksie for this kick-ass sig
|)e8*

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Jae wrote:

I'd love to have him, problem is I have to wait until the end of the FA period to sign anyone so he might already be gone. I'm going to try not to sign an entirely different squad every season but if Mills is there I'd pick him up for sure.

Yeah dude, that's what I meant. :) If he's free, would be awesome. While you're at it, hopefully Jawai is available as a FA too...
Fresh8

Postby buzzy on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Haha, the Nets got screwed. :lol:
Good luck with it,I'll be following. Thinking this is going to be pretty hard though
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Nice, a Jae dynasty. Always unique & this sort of dynasty spin is probably more the norm for you. Anyways, I've picked 5-9 wins & hoping you can keep this one going longer than a few weeks (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby J@3 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:20 pm

NOVEMBER 9TH
Baltimore Claws
80 (0-1) vs Portland Trailblazers 109 (0-1)
Image Image
Roy, Blazers crash Claws home opener
Brandon Roy scored 34 points and Travis Outlaw added 15 and 13 rebounds as the Trailblazers ran rampant over an enthusiastic but ultimately outclassed Baltimore outfit 109-80. Opening a quick 6-0 lead, the Claws were soon overrun by Portland and had no answers as they ended the first quarter 34-16. The rest of the game was relatively even, thanks mostly to a 14-4 run early in the third sparked by the impressive Rashad McCants who finished with 25 points to lead the Claws. Andre Miller finished with 13 points on 3/14 shooting but Lamarcus Aldridge (12 points 16 rebounds) and Greg Oden (5 blocks) combined to make sure his misses didn't impact the team too severely. Dwayne Jones was the only other real stand-out for Baltimore, finishing with 14 rebounds and 3 blocks in a game they managed to lose in the first quarter.

NOVEMBER 20TH
Baltimore Claws
78 (0-2) vs Washington Wizards 111 (1-1)
Image Image
First quarter blitz nullifies Claws at home
Another first quarter meltdown has given the Wizards a convincing 111-78 victory and handed the Claws their second straight home loss. Gilbert Arenas lit up the Baltimore squad with 13 first quarter points as they ran out to a 35-13 lead. Baltimore clawed their way back in the second thanks to some exciting play from shooting guard Rashad McCants but Washington finalized the rout with dominating third and fourth quarters. Arenas finished with 20 points, 13 assists and 4 steals and was able supported by Brendan Haywood (14 points, 16 rebounds) and Caron Butler with 15 points. For the lacklustre Claws, Rashad McCants once again broke the twenty point barrier with 23 but took 31 shots to do it, Nick Fazekas scored 11 off the bench while Dwayne Jones continued his strong start to the season with 13 rebounds and 3 blocks.

NOVEMBER 26TH
Baltimore Claws
83 (0-3) @ Oklahoma City Thunder 108 (4-1)
Image Image
Durant destroys lacklustre Claws
The Baltimore Claws first away trip has ended in disaster with Kevin Durant scoring 15 first quarter points to lead the Thunder to a comfortable 108-83 victory. In the their third straight game, the Claws struggled in the first quarter with Durant lighting up the Baltimore defense with 15 points. The Claws launched a mini comeback in the 2nd thanks mostly to some strong bench play from Maurice Ager and Nick Fazekas but it was to no avail as the combination of Jeff Green and Serge Ibaka combined to bury Baltimore in the third and coast home for the rest of the game. Ibaka finished with 17 points in just 15 minutes,Green logged 19 points and 11 rebounds while Durant spent most of the second half on the bench with 20 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists. For the Claws, Rashad McCants lead all scorers with 24 and Dwayne Jones finished with 10 rebounds and 4 blocked shots.

NOVEMBER 30TH
Baltimore Claws
91 (0-4) vs Charlotte Bobcats 119 (3-3)
Image Image

Augustin show propels Bobcats to blow-out win
Being thrust into the starting line-up in the aftermath of the Raymond Felton/Marc Gasol trade, DJ Augustin silenced any doubters by ripping apart the Baltimore defense with 25 points and 9 assists in just three quarters of play. Taking advantage of yet another weak first quarter from the Claws, Charlotte never looked in danger as Augustin combined with Gerald Wallace, 19 points 11 rebounds, and new teammate Marc Gasol, 16 points 8 rebounds, to blow away Baltimore in every quarter. Derrick Brown wrapped things up off the bench scoring an impressive 17 points in 16 minutes, while for the Claws Rashad McCants scored 21 points and Mickael Gelabale, starting at power forward for the injured Stromile Swift, surprised everyone with a solid all round game, finishing with 19 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals. Dwayne Jones brought down only 8 rebounds but finished with a career high 5 blocked shots.

BONUS

Darius Miles' dunk vs Oklahoma
phpBB [video]

COMING UP
:arrow: NBA transactions from November
:arrow: Individual player evaluation for the month

Question: Is there a way to get better quality screenshots/videos from the game? I do the upload a snapshot/video etc and they come out pretty average, I'd almost be better off taking pics with my iPhone.
J@3

Postby J@3 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Nice, a Jae dynasty. Always unique & this sort of dynasty spin is probably more the norm for you

Yeah last time it was all undrafted rookies. Everytime I try to do a regular association game by the 3rd match I've traded everyone for draft picks. Can't help myself.

Valor wrote:Love the idea, but where are the Nets players going? a dispersal draft or are you just removing them from the league altogether?

Yep pretty sure they're gone :lol: I just couldn't be bothered releasing them all. That's partially why I chose them to get rid of because outside of Harris and Lopez the rest wouldn't be missed
J@3

Re: Return Of The Baltimore Claws - Nov Update

Postby The X on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Maybe 5 wins this season was too much to ask for :lol:

As for pics, I find the 2k uploads hit & miss, as can be seen here: viewtopic.php?p=1151327#p1151327

But as you can see, you can get some good pics, it's just got something to do with camera angles. Close up pics with depth of field ON seem to be better quality. Pics from far away seem crap, same with videos.

Btw, you seems to have a few guys I like. Gabe Pruitt (absolute gun at USC), Dwayne Jones (athletic & can block a couple of shots), Maurice Ager (good college player at Michigan State) & Jake Voskhul (everybody's 14th favourite player)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 am

McCants' on fire. Nice idea with the Claws, Jae. (Y)
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Martti. on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 am

Damn, that's one bad team. :D

But you do have a lot of talent. (Y)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:53 am

Yep, looks like a 1-5 win team. Great recaps man. Rashad McCants is averaging about 23 PPG and could make the all-star game if you win a game or two (far fetched but you never know)

Your court looks like a college court, but your jerseys are better than Sit's Stealth jerseys.
Lamrock

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:55 am

You have to be pretty good to keep that team within ~30 points of nba teams. Gotta respect your rules that create a real challenge.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby J@3 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Thx guys preview in first post plz download!!!!!!

Your court looks like a college court, but your jerseys are better than Sit's Stealth jerseys.

Yeah I'm not liking the court, I wish it could be edited but I guess I'm stuck with it. I'll probably change the jerseys season by season.
J@3

Postby J@3 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:54 pm

4 Games: 23.3 PPG | 3.3 RPG | 3.5 APG | 1.8 SPG | 0.3 BPG | 2.0 TOPG | .390 FG% | .333 3P% | .750 FT%
The only guy on the team who can score consistently, he has taken a alot of shots but without him we'd be losing every game by 50. In his last game against Charlotte he shot 50% from the field which is encouraging. Sometimes he looks like a mini Dwyane Wade, other times he looks like a homeless person with no legs and the IRS after him's Dwyane Wade, but he is virtually guaranteed of a starting spot next season if he can keep up this level of play.

Grade: A

4 Games: 9.0 PPG | 4.5 RPG | 2.0 APG | 1.0 SPG | 0.0 BPG | 1.3 TOPG | .485 FG% | .142 3P% | .166 FT%
Hasn't really stepped up to the level that he needs to, his stats aren't all that dissimilar to his statistics pre-Claws days but I think he is capable of more. His athletisim is beyond anyone else on the team not named James White and he's been quite solid defensively. Still waiting for him to have his break-out game, with the way White played coming off the bench at SF against Charlotte he could be at risk of losing his starting spot if he doesn't improve. His free throw shooting has also been disgusting.

Grade: C+

4 Games: 7.8 PPG | 1.3 RPG | 4.5 APG | 1.0 SPG | 0.8 BPG | 2.8 TOPG | .371 FG% | .222 3P% | .428 FT%
Definitely the most frustrating player on the roster at the moment. He's young and has a big size advantage over most point guards, but he doesn't know how to use it and his outside shot has been awful so far. Against Oklahoma he looked like Gary Payton out there posting guys up and scoring with ease, but he got obliterated defensively against Charlotte by Augustin and is really playing below his capabilities.

Grade: C-

4 Games: 5.0 PPG | 11.3 RPG | 1.0 APG | 0.8 SPG | 3.5 BPG | 2.0 TOPG | .428 FG% | .000 3P% | 100% FT%
The biggest surprise on the team by far and currently a DPOY candidate. Jones' rebounding and shot blocking has been dominant and virtually eliminated the need to use our first round pick on a C, which is great because there's only really 3 weak positions left now. A lot easier to fill than 5. His offensive game is fairly weak but I'll overlook it if he keeps pulling down 10+ boards and blocking a lot of shots.

Grade: A

3 Games: 9.7 PPG | 5.7 RPG | 2.0 APG | 1.3 SPG | 0.3 BPG | 1.7 TOPG | .433 FG% | .000 3P% | .500 FT%
Stromile Swift is Stromile Swift. You know he can do better, you want him to do better but it's abundantly obvious that he probably isn't going to do any better than he is. His position is under threat from Gelabale, we'll see how he plays off the bench in the next couple of games as he recovers from injury. Was expecting more to be honest.

Grade: C

3 Games: 8.3 PPG | 1.7 RPG | 2.0 APG | 1.0 SPG | 0.0 BPG | 1.3 TOPG | .666 FG% | .000 3P% | 100% FT%
The best offensive big man on the team, but he doesn't really do anything else. Has good touch around the basket and passes well, his 66% shooting is the best on the team and he is scoring 8ppg in just 12 minutes. His lack of rebounding and defense will stop him ever starting but he's squeezed Voskuhl out of the bench C spot and will take it while Gelabale starts at PF and Swift comes off the bench.

Grade: B+

3 Games: 6.3 PPG | 2.7 RPG | 1.7 APG | 0.7 SPG | 0.3 BPG | 1.0 TOPG | .473 FG% | .000 3P% | .250 FT%
Looked pretty average in the 8 minutes he'd made off the bench at SF against Portland and Washington, then out of desperation with Fazekas and Swift out, started at power forward against Charlotte and finished with 19 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals. He'll start the next two games there and if he can keep this up will take the position from Swift. Looks very promising and is too quick with the ball for most power forwards to defend.

Grade: Undetermined

4 Games: 5.5 PPG | 0.5 RPG | 1.3 APG | 0.5 SPG | 0.5 BPG | 1.0 TOPG | .458 FG% | .000 3P% | .000 FT%
At times looks fanastic, especially at shooting guard off the bench but his outside shooting is non existant and that makes it difficult to give him a bigger role on the team. When it comes to slashing though there are few better on the team than Dupree. Will continue to get decent minutes off the bench.

Grade: C+

4 Games: 3.7 PPG | 2.0 RPG | 1.7 APG | 0.7 SPG | 0.3 BPG | 1.2 TOPG | .277 FG% | .000 3P% | 100% FT%
Not looking like he'll usurp McCants any time soon, but at times has shown he can score quickly and efficiently. If he gets his shot under control and becomes more aggressive he could easily have 6th man potential on this team.

Grade: C-

4 Games: 2.8 PPG | 2.3 RPG | 0.3 APG | 1.5 SPG | 0.8 BPG | 1.3 TOPG | .444 FG% | .000 3P% | .750 FT%
Clearly past his prime but has been servicable backing up Dwayne Jones. His rebounding hwoever has been subpar in a number of games, particularly against Charlotte where he was abused on the boards constantly. Will be replaced in the active roster by Fazekas.

Grade: D+

4 Games: 2.0 PPG | 0.3 RPG | 1.3 APG | 0.5 SPG | 0.0 BPG | 1.3 TPG | .214 FG% | .000 3P% | 100% FT%
Very very very confusing player. Supposed to be a three point specialist but is 0/14 on the season, has been terrible offensively yet looks really impressive defensively which is something that's probably never been said about him before. Won't be on the team next season if he can't start hitting shots though.

Grade: D

4 Games: 1.3 PPG | 2.0 RPG | 2.0 APG | 0.0 SPG | 0.0 BPG | 1.5 TOPG | .222 FG% | .200 3P% | .000 FT%
I have to admit I expected more from Singletary, I thought he might even play Pruitt out of his starting spot but that hasn't happened. Is struggling to get minutes over Salim Stoudamire and now with James White in the rotation and Ager taking some minutes at PG, might not see the court at all.

Grade: D-

1 Game: 14.0 PPG | 2.0 RPG | 1.0 APG | 2.0 SPG | 0.0 BPG | 0.0 TOPG | .700 FG% | .000 3P% | .000 FT%
Was on the IR for nearly all of our games so far, came off the bench against Charlotte and tore them to shreds in just 13 minutes. He's basically forcing a positional battle between Dupree and Ager because he's got the SF spot on the bench locked down after that, and if he continues it he'll push for Darius Miles' spot as well.

1 Game: 8.0 PPG | 2.0 RPG | 1.0 APG | 0.0 SPG | 0.0 BPG | 1.0 TOPG | .428 FG% | 100 3P% | .000 FT%
Has only played one game so it's hard to get a grasp of what he can do, he's also playing PF which is currently being fought out by Gelabale and Swift so he may struggle for minutes but he looked impressive against Charlotte. He can hit threes which gives him a huge advantage over the other forwards on the team.

1 Game: 0.0 PPG | 2.0 RPG | 0.0 APG | 0.0 BPG | 0.0 TOPG | .000 FG% | .000 3P% | .000 FT%
Has only played 5 minutes for us. In those 5 minutes he was dunked on 4 times. How the hell do you get dunked on 4 times in 5 minutes? He's 7'3, you'd think he would at least be able to stop one, but no, 4 dunks. He was also scored on an additional three times by Eric Maynor, all lay-ups. Absolutely the worst basketball performance I've ever seen on a video game.

Grade: F

TRANSACTIONS FROM NOVEMBER

:arrow: PHILADELPHIA 76ERS trade Louis Williams to the MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES in exchange for Ramon Sessions
:arrow: CHARLOTTE BOBCATS trade Raymond Felton to the MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES in exchange for Marc Gasol
:arrow: ATLANTA HAWKS sign Wally Szczerbiak to a 1 year/982k deal
J@3

Postby The X on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:11 pm

Jae wrote:Image

Luvin' the dunk over D-Leaguer PF Al Simmons. It never ceases to amaze me that Simmons ends up on the Bobcats in every single Association there has been, including mine :P
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Re: Return Of The Baltimore Claws - November Player Evals.

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Hey! Al Simmons is in mine as well. WTF? Love the player evals, though McCants' 39% shooting is less than impressive.
Lamrock

Postby The X on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Lamrock wrote:Hey! Al Simmons is in mine as well. WTF? Love the player evals, though McCants' 39% shooting is less than impressive.

That seems pretty par to course for McCants, considering his career to date. And when you got the team that Jae has got, you're going to have to force a lot of bad shots with your best player. Shame the Claws don't have Adam Morrison, now he could be the team's star :cool:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby J@3 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Lol @ Al Simmons, yeah I thought he must've been a random regen but apparently not. Might be signing a D-Leaguer in the next update, stay tuned :cool:

Also The X is right about McCants. He's basically the only reliable scorer I've got so I force a lot of shots with him. I think he'd be a lot more efficient with someone else to take the load off him, I REALLY need a PF who can score consistently.
J@3

Next

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame