NELLIEBALL! | Finished.

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Draft Workout Results + Blockbuster Trade

Postby Martti. on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 am

I can understand the Cardinal hate, but Darko?! Who could hate Darko? I think I'll keep him around even after he expires. He should be an excellent backup for Biedrins.

I hate him mostly for this. :lol:

With Rubio most likely joining your team, it makes the team so unbearable to me :D
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Draft Workout Results + Blockbuster Trade

Postby Lamrock on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:34 pm

2009 NBA Draft Live Coverage

New York, NY; June 25, 2009 - Hello and welcome to live coverage of the 2009 NBA Draft! While the top 2 picks are likely set in stone, you should prepare for a night of surprises. We will post results, and then grade team's selections, as soon as David Stern says them. Without further adieu; David Stern is coming up to the podium. The first pick in the NBA draft is...

1. LA Clippers - PF: Blake Griffin - With the first overall pick, the Clippers selected the best available talent in Blake Griffin. No surprise here. While Zach Randolph is currently occupying the power forward position, Griffin is expected to start, as Randolph is in Dunleavy's doghouse. The Clippers are either set or over-paying at every position, so it makes sense to take the best player. Blake Griffin was expected to be the best player of the draft - the one can't-miss superstar, but now he's on the Clippers... Draft Grade: A

2. Golden State Warriors (via Memphis) - PG: Ricky Rubio - This guy was very impressive in his workout - so impressive that hey were willing to part ways with two starters and a young prospect to get him. Rubio, a fantastic pure point guard, has court vision comparative to Steve Nash, and is an amazing defender. He might not start right away, but this move allows Monta Ellis to slide to the 2, where he is more comfortable. Rubio has the potential to be the best player in the draft, but also has one of the highest chance of being a bust. Draft Grade: A-

3. Phoenix Suns - PG/SG: Jrue Holiday - It was rumored that the Suns were enamored with the guy. Jrue Holiday was projected to go anywhere from mid-lottery to late first round. A few impressive workouts later has him going third. The Suns are expected to decline the option on the final year of Steve Nash's contract, and start rebuilding. Holiday gets them their replacement point guard, but I can't help but feel he's a stretch at #3 and that they could have gotten a much better PG at this slot. Draft Grade: B-

4. Washington Wizards - PF: Jordan Hill - The Wizards wanted to get Griffin, but had the worst possible lottery luck and slid to the fourth pick. Instead, they take the second best power forward prospect in Jordan Hill. Hill likely won't be an all-star, but he should make them set at the position for years to come. This move will likely shift Caron Butler to the 2 and Antawn Jamison to the 3. In their shoes, I would have probably taken James Harden, but this works too. Draft Grade: B

5. Memphis Grizzlies - PG/SG: Stephen Curry - What? They trade down to pass on Rubio because they are set at the point guard position, yet they go and draft a point guard?! Granted, Stephen Curry is a combo guard who can be a great spark plug off the bench at both guard positions. However, the addition of Kelenna Azubuike will limit his playing time. Thabeet would have been perfect here. What a waste. Chris Wallace, you suck. Draft Grade: D

6. Oklahoma City Thunder - C: Hasheem Thabeet - Its about time. Originally a certainty to go in the top 3, Thabeet's high bust probability has scared off teams and he has slipped to #6. The Thunder, a young team in need of a Center and a shooting guard, went with a big man. While James Harden will likely be the better player, good Centers are a rare commodity. Good pick Sam Presti. Draft Grade: A-

7. Minnesota Timberwolves - C: BJ Mullens - The only other center in the draft. The Wolves got excited seeing that Thabeet could fall into their hands and when OKC took him, hey instantly tried to compensate by taking the only other Center in the draft. Mullens, a project projected as a mid-to-late first rounder, is a project, very similar to the Utah Jazz' Kosta Koufos. He is raw now, but his max potential is merely that of a decent starting center. The Wolves wanted a Center, but come on. Draft Grade: F

8. Atlanta Hawks - SF: Earl Clark - Looks like the Hawks are back in the habit of drafting swingmen. Despite Mike Bibby aging and his contract nearing expiration, the Hawks went with a guy who can backup Marvin Williams. Clark probably won't get much PT in the ATL. If their GM was smart, they would have taken James Harden (who continues to slip, despite being the third best prospect in the draft!) or a point guard. Sigh... Draft Grade: D-

9. Detroit Pistons - SG/SF: DeMar DeRozan - DeRozan is a nice Vince Carter-esque swingman with decent potential. This pick would be nice... IF HARDEN WASN'T STILL ON THE BOARD. This pick likely means the end of Rip Hamilton in Detroit. Draft Grade: B-

10. Milwaukee Bucks - PG: Jonny Flynn - Please draft Harden. Please draft Harden. Damn it! The Bucks felt they were set with the oft-injured, aging Michael Redd at the 2, and turned down a rookie of the year candidate to draft a point guard. They already have Luke Ridnour and Ramon Sessions, but Milwaukee opted for the slight upgrade in Flynn. Not a terrible pick, but you don't pass up on Harden at #10. Draft Grade: C-

11. Charlotte Bobcats - SG: James Harden - Yes! Harden is finally taken. Bobcats not only take (by far) the best available talent, but also fill a need at the shooting guard position. The pick means Raja Bell's short time at the starting 2 is over. One of the best steals ever. Draft Grade: A+

12. New York Knicks - SG: Gerald Henderson - The Knicks just barely missed out on the steal of the draft. They end up getting Henderson, a solid SG, who should be a decent starter for years to come. They don't need a PG, are set at the 3, and have no good frontcourt draft options. Draft Grade: B+

13. Sacramento Kings - PG/SG: Tyreke Evans - Slid a bit. The Kings needed a point guard, and sorta got one. Evans is a combo guard. While he has great size for the position, he isn't a pure point guard. Nevertheless, they probably got the best available talent. Wait, Brandon Jennings is still on the board? Draft Grade: C+

14. Toronto Raptors - SG: Wayne Ellington - The Raptors needed an SG or an SF, so they take a safe pick and draft the NBA ready Ellington. Ellington doesn't have great potential, and would have fit better on a contender, but with Anthony Parker turning 35 this Summer, its a safe pick. Draft Grade: B

15. Miami Heat - PG: Jeff Teague - Draft Grade: B
16. Indiana Pacers - PF/C: Gani Lawal - Draft Grade: B
17. Philadelphia 76ers - SG/PG: Jerel McNeal - Draft Grade: F
18. New Orleans Hornets - PF: DeJuan Blair - Draft Grade: A+
19. Houston Rockets - SF: Omri Casspi - Draft Grade: B-
20. Denver Nuggets - PF: Tyler Hansbrough - Draft Grade: C
21. New Jersey Nets - PG: Brandon Jennings - Draft Grade: A
22. Chicago Bulls - PF: Taj Gibson - Draft Grade: A-
23. Dallas Mavericks - SF: James Johnson - Draft Grade: B
24. Utah Jazz - PG: Darren Collison - Draft Grade: D
25. Portland Trailblazers - PF: Korvotney Barber - Draft Grade: F
26. Orlando Magic - PF: Jon Brockman - Draft Grade: D
27. Cleveland Cavaliers - SF: Austin Daye - Draft Grade: B+
28. San Antonio Spurs - PF: Jeff Pendergraph - Draft Grade: C-
29. Boston Celtics - PG: Ty Lawson - Draft Grade: A+
30. Los Angeles Lakers - Nick Calathes - Draft Grade: C

31. WAS - DaJuan Summers
32. LAC - Damion James
33. MEM - Sam Young
34. Golden State Warriors - Chase Budinger - The Warriors got a huge draft steal in Chase Budinger. The sharpshooting swingman is very NBA ready, and should be able to contribute off the bench immediately. Draft Grade: A
35. OKC - Eric Maynor
36. PHX - Rodrigue Beaubois
37. ATL - Connor Atchley
38. MIN - Patrick Mills
39. DET - Lester Hudson
40. MIL - Alade Aminu
41. CHA - Nemanja Bjelica
42. NYK - Nando De Colo
43. SAC - Vladimir Dasic
44. TOR - Marcus Thornton
45. MIA - Sergii Gladyr
46. DEN - Dionte Christmas
47. IND - Ccurtis Jerrells
48. PHI - Jonas Jerebko
49. HOU - Dante Cunningham
50. NJN - Milenko Tepic
51. NOH - Adam Hanga
52. CHI - Antonio Anderson
53. DAL - Chris Johnson
54. UTA - Tyrese Rice
55. POR - Luigi Datome
56. ORL - Dominique Archie
57. CLE - AJ Abrams
58. BOS - Toney Douglas
59. SAS - Tyler Smith
60. LAL - Emir Preldzic

Biggest Steals: James Harden (11th: CHA); Brandon Jennings (20th: NJN); Chase Budinger (34th: GSW); Eric Maynor (35th: OKC); Patrick Mills (38th: MIN)
Biggest Draft Winners: Golden State Warriors (Rubio, Budinger); Charlotte Bobcats (Harden, Bjelica); Oklahoma City Thunder (Thabeet, Maynor)
Last edited by Lamrock on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamrock

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Its the 2009 NBA Draft!

Postby 33_ALLDAY_33 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Great Draft man. Rubio will be a beast for you. Im surprised Phoenix didn't try and go after Curry. But oh well, the good and important thing is you got Rubio and hopefully he can flourish under you.
33_ALLDAY_33

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:15 pm

The X will be very pleased you got Rubio AND Chase! Good draft and good read. Loving it!
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby jonthefon on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Brilliant draft. I wouldn't take Chase in real-life at 34 because of my doubts over his mental stuff, but in the game, he should be a beast.
jonthefon
Fucking pissed off.

Postby The X on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:07 pm

jonthefon wrote:Brilliant draft. I wouldn't take Chase in real-life at 34 because of my doubts over his mental stuff, but in the game, he should be a beast.

I would disagree with that. Chase at 34 is a steal.

Nice draft to get Rubio & Budinger. Couldn't have done any better at your spots. Why am I not surprised that everybody passed on James Harden? :roll: Ahh well, I hope he makes those teams pay.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby jonthefon on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 pm

Yeah, on talent and upside he's a steal. But he's still kinda raw and I wonder how he develops in terms of toughness and leadership. Hopefully he can handle the increased intensity of the big league.
jonthefon
Fucking pissed off.

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:49 am

Great draft Lamrock (Y)
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Lamrock on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:25 am

33_ALLDAY_33, Thanks. Jrue was ranked 12th on the draft board, and has an overall of just 75 (by comparison, Harden's is 79). Guess Phoenix really liked him.

Sit, Thanks! I bet he will like the draft choices...

The X, Yep, you did. Harden is the second highest rated rookie in the draft, so it surprised me to see even other SG's go before him.

jonthefon, Next to perhaps Eric Maynor, who I didn't have use for, he was the best available talent on the board. Highest rated next to Maynor as well.

thierryhenry50, Why thank you.

COMING UP NEXT: The Free Agency Period
Lamrock

Postby Martti. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:30 am

Damn, Lawson dropped to 29. :?
Great picks for you though. Talent-wise.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Lamrock on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:26 pm

Free Agency Period Opens With Steve Nash To Golden State

Oakland, CA; July 1, 2009 - While much is being made over the 2010 free agent class, the deep 2009 free agency has been slightly overlooked. With big names such as Carlos Boozer, Ron Artest, Ben Gordon, Shawn Marion, Allen Iverson and more being released into free agency, we could see some huge changes this offseason. Today, the first splash was made. 35 year old point guard Steve Nash, a two time MVP and six time all-star was released by the Suns Friday, after Steve Kerr decided not to accept the option on the final year of his contract.

On the first day of free agency, the Golden Warriors have impressively managed to sign him to a 3 year contract with just their mid-level exception. The contract, worth roughly nineteen million, has a player option for the third and final season, as well as a no trade clause. This contract is likely to be Nash's last. Nash is arguably one of the best players in this season's free agency pool, but due to his age, and a slightly down 2008-09 campaign, Nash has gone under the radar, and the only teams that could afford to give him a big contract were in rebuilding stages.

Image Image

Golden State, a team in the middle between rebuilding and contending, is looking to build around young stars Monta Ellis, Anthony Randolph, Andris Biedrins and newly drafted Ricky Rubio. However, Rubio is an 18 year old international prospect who will likely need some time to adjust to the NBA. Rubio has received comparisons to Nash in the past. Who could be a better mentor? This move likely puts the Warriors back into the playoff picture, as they once again have an experienced point guard at the helm.

Warriors general manager Liam Washburn was available to comment on the signing. "Steve [Nash] is still one of the league's best point guards, and'll be a fantastic mentor for Ricky [Rubio]. He was aprehensive at first, but we were fortunate to agree on the MLE. I believe he will help get us back into the playoffs and hopefully to the next level!" Why Nash chose the Warriors is a bit of a mystery. While the Warriors are a talented team that could make the playoffs this season if healthy, veterans usually take pay cuts to go to title contenders. While the Warriors certainly have the ability to surprise, its difficult to imagine Steve Nash winning a title in Oakland.

Notes:

- The Warriors accepted options on Anthony Morrow, Marco Belinelli and Marcus Williams. Williams, however, is rumored to be on the Warriors' trading block.
- Fellow veteran point guard Jason Kidd signed a new deal with the Dallas Mavericks for an undisclosed amount.
- The Warriors let Rob Kurz, Jermareo Davidson and C.J. Watson walk.
Lamrock

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Offseason 2009: Trade + Draft + Signing

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:04 pm

A+ signing (Y) He still has what it takes, you know.
× Watching:
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Very nice :)
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Lamrock on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks. I'm so glad I was able to get him. He is probably my favorite player ever.
Lamrock

Postby 33_ALLDAY_33 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Excellent signing man. Nash will forsure help you this season and possibly the post season. Really glad you could land that signing.
33_ALLDAY_33

Postby The X on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:11 pm

If only the real life Suns were as smart as GM Washburn :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Martti. on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Great success! I assume you're gonna start Rubio and have Nash come off the bench?
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby The X on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Martti. wrote:Great success! I assume you're gonna start Rubio and have Nash come off the bench?

I would imagine the reverse, at least for the '09-10 season, after which Rubio will take over the reins....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby C-77 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 pm

yeah me too i think it would be nash starting and rubio off the bench
|Proud to be a Bedan|Bryan_C. is my cousin|Celtics & Magic fan|Pinoy Ako|

Follow me on Twitter

{♣NBA LIVE IS STILL LIVE!!♣}
C-77
We Do It For The City,We Do It for the fans

Postby Valor on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:49 pm

woah, great draft and even better signing in Nash! cant wait until the season starts! :)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Lamrock on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:27 pm

Boozer To Kings, Artest To Bulls Highlight Free Agency

August 6, 2009 - Many splashes were made in the NBA's free agency period. Perhaps the largest was Carlos Boozer to the Utah Jazz. Boozer, 27, was signed to a 5 year contract worth nearly 95 Million by the Sacramento Kings. The Kings, coming off a 36 win season, will now have another star to team up with Kevin Martin. Along with the addition of rookie Tyreke Evans, the Kings should be a playoff threat. Then again, this could end up being like the Elton Brand signing, which yielded disappointing results as the 76ers once again say a first-round playoff exit. They additionally signing Chris "Birdman" Andersen" to a 3 year contract worth 20 million.

The Thunder beat out Chicago to win the Ben Gordon sweepstakes, signing the 6'2" guard to a 5 year contract worth 68 million. The Bulls hurried to replace him, and snared former Rockets forward Ron Artest to a 5 year, 70 million dollar contract. This move is precarious due to Artest's age (30), but with Ben Gordon's poor play in the first round of the 09 playoffs, where they were swept by the underdog Nets, Artest could give them the experience and defense to take them to the next level. In addition, the Bulls helped make up for the loss of Gordon by signing combo guard Rashad McCants to a 4 year, 18 million dollar contract.

Kevin Pritchard was busy at work. First he signed point guard Raymond Felton to a six-year, 48 million dollar contract. Then, he signed forward Charlie Villanueva to a 5 year, 45 million dollar contract. The Blazers, who were just one win away from a finals appearance last season, get an excellent sixth man that can play three positions, as well as a clear starting point guard. These signings further increase the legitimacy of the Blazers' status as title contenders.

Image Image

Other large moves were made as well. The Warriors signed veteran point guard Steve Nash to the MLE, and scrub center Kyrylo Fesenko to the league minimum. The Nets grossly overpaid for center Anderson Varejao, signing him to a 6 year, 60 million dollar contract. Sharpshooting center Mehmet Okur joined the Grizzlies to a 5 year, 55 million dollar contract. Completely draining the Jazz's frontcourt, Paul Millsap signed a 4 year, 47.5 million dollar contract with the Pacers. Marcin Gortat went to Houston for a 4 years and 30 million dollars. Charlotte signed pocket dynamo and 2-time slam dunk champ Nate Robinson to a 5 year, 50 million dollar contract. Allen Iverson became a Hawk, for a measly 10 million dollars over three years. Shawn Marion became a Bobcat to a three year, 25 million dollar deal.

Also noteworthy were the re-signings. Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, David Lee, Lamar Odom, Mike Bibby and Martell Webster were among the notable resignings. The free agency brings major changes to the NBA's current climate. The Kings become a legitmate contender, the Warriors improve, the Jazz lose all their big men and Portland gets even deeper.

Free Agency 2009

Nash to Warriors - 3 year, $18.48M
Joe Smith to Spurs: 3 year, $6.87M
Josh Powell to Suns: 4 year, $16.60M
Ariza to Raptors: 4 year, $32.98M
Sessions to Clippers: 5 year, 34.21M
Gooden to Cavaliers: 3 year, $14.87M
Moon to Clippers: 5 year, $31.96M
Kyrylo Fesenko to Warriors: 1 year, minimum
Iverson to Hawks: 3 year, $10M
Anthony Parker to Thunder: 3 year, $10.52M
Szczerbiak to Raptors: 4 year, $13.46M
Bass to Bucks: 3 year, $16.67M
Murray to Thunder: 4 year, $29M
Boozer to Kings: 5 year, $94.47M
Barnes to Cavaliers: 5 year, $23.93M
Knight to Bobcats: 3 year, $9.25M
Birdman to Kings: 3 year, $22.31M
Nate Robinson to Bobcats: 5 year, $50M
Gortat to Rockets: 4 year, $30M
Artest to Bulls: 5 year, $70M
Wafer to Clippers: 3 year, $16M
Gordon to Thunder: 5 year, $68.65M
Millsap to Pacers: 4 year, $47.5M
Okur to Grizzlies: 5 year, $55M
Varejao to Nets: 5 year, $60M
Lorenzen Wright to Mavs: 1 year, minimum
Felton to Blazers: 6 year, $48M
Pollard to Cavs: 1 year, minimum
Marion to Bobcats: 3 year, 25M
McCants to Bulls: 4 year, $18M
Frye to Thunder: 5 year, $37.25M
Shannon Brown to Nuggets: 3 year, $10.81M
Villanueva to Blazers: 5 year, $45M
Lamrock

Re: NELLIEBALL! - Offseason 2009: NBA Draft + Free Agency 2009

Postby homicide1550 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:26 am

Wow, you got Nash.. This means Rubio will be a backup in his rookie year.. I bet he won't be too happy with reduced minutes..
Visit my Facebook page: Kicksfix: homicide1550

Click image to view the thread!

KicksFix 2K12 2K13
(Live08) RISE UP! A Cleveland Cavaliers Dynasty

Ranked 7th, Top 10 Dynasty Hall of Fame

homicide1550
Quality Over Quantity

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:29 am

Gordon to OKC and Boozer to Kings, nice signings.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Martti. on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:58 am

The Jazz now only have Collins up front :D
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby 33_ALLDAY_33 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:35 am

You obviously had the best signing here. Possibly with Artest going to Chicago next. I wonder what's that's going to do for Luol Deng...
33_ALLDAY_33

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame