NBA Live 14 Gameplay Tips Video (Practice Mode Coming?)

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

NBA Live 14 Gameplay Tips Video (Practice Mode Coming?)

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Latest from EA Sports:

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vt1oFUZwSY

Looks like a practice mode might be in the pipeline.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: NBA Live 14 Gameplay Tips Video (Practice Mode Coming?)

Postby JaoSming on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:25 pm

ok, first, why aren't there seats in the arenas? I thought I noticed this with the crowd there but wow...

second, practice mode is nice to learn the intricate stuff with the game but FFS we know the basic controls, we aren't new to the genre! The problem is shot timing seems very different between all players and there is no indicator to let us know if we are early or late with the timing. The indicator under the player is supposed to flash, but try depending on that and you'll notice it only triggers maybe 25% of the time, same with FTs. The new patch helped a bit, but I still have no clue what the timing is.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JBulls on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:05 am

In the video the on ball defenders still just watch you go past them if there's a screen, is it still like that in a game?
JBulls

Postby JaoSming on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:06 am

I noticed that the defenders rarely make "contact" with the screen a lot, not triggering any animation or hinderance to the defender, but I think that can be attributed to the practice mode AI.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Interesting controls video with some slight tips, but I think people needed more understanding of the depth of the game's elements. One move in the post? I would have liked to see a few more. The on-ball defense could have gone deeper as they only showed the defensive slides and taking a charge. They could have gone into how you can trigger the "riding" animation and how to defend the post, along with steals and shot blocking. Oh, and that icon double team thing.

Not to mention what those meters are under the player. There is a white meter that is faded into red or another color(if two people are playing, I assume), and then a darker red or other color. What does it mean when the meter is completely white? What about completely red?

JaoSming wrote:ok, first, why aren't there seats in the arenas? I thought I noticed this with the crowd there but wow...

second, practice mode is nice to learn the intricate stuff with the game but FFS we know the basic controls, we aren't new to the genre! The problem is shot timing seems very different between all players and there is no indicator to let us know if we are early or late with the timing. The indicator under the player is supposed to flash, but try depending on that and you'll notice it only triggers maybe 25% of the time, same with FTs. The new patch helped a bit, but I still have no clue what the timing is.

The seats are most likely attached to the audience, so they disappeared along with them.
The timing is at the apex like the video, and I get the flash all the time. It's much quicker than in other games, but not so quick that it's like a set shot. Never seen it during freethrows, I just release the moment the ball is above the players head and find enough success.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:12 am

JaoSming wrote:ok, first, why aren't there seats in the arenas? I thought I noticed this with the crowd there but wow...

I think it's because the jump shots aren't fluid enough with most players. some of the jumpshots don't even look like they're jumping, more like a warp jump
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:33 am

Pdub wrote:Interesting controls video with some slight tips, but I think people needed more understanding of the depth of the game's elements. One move in the post? I would have liked to see a few more. The on-ball defense could have gone deeper as they only showed the defensive slides and taking a charge. They could have gone into how you can trigger the "riding" animation and how to defend the post, along with steals and shot blocking. Oh, and that icon double team thing.

Agreed, a series of detailed tips videos that focus on a particular aspect of the game in-depth would be most welcome.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 14