Preview Articles

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Preview Articles

Postby JaoSming on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:22 am

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/06/ ... -played-it
“Forget we tried to make a basketball game the last three years,” executive producer Sean O’Brien joked.
The good news for your graphics-philes is that NBA Live 14 looks a lot better in its real five-on-five mode than it did in its early trailer
but evidently not as good as 2K14 ()
ESPN Presentation, Breen and Gundy with Jalen Rose doing custom weekly commentary throughout the season (dynamic updates confirmed, wow)
(and in the game – expect Rose to give shout-outs to people on the game’s leaderboards).

developers took actual ESPN Wired dialogue from real head coaches in the huddle last year and play it back at halftime in your game – and the commentary even matches up to what you’ve been doing on the court. Only the Nets and the Suns – who each hired rookie head coaches – will miss out, as there is no game-recorded audio for Jason Kidd and Jeff Hornacek, respectively.
that, that is pretty cool
I like that holding down on the right stick will actually keep the ball dribbling behind your ballhandler’s back
B/O for picks & double teams, can choose players to do those things
  • Rising Star mode is akin to My Player, allowing you to create yourself in the game and play out your career
  • A 30-season GM mode is also on tap,
  • alongside head-to-head seasons (yes, entire seasons against your friends)
  • a Best of Seven mode referred to by O’Brien as the “Friends Finals,”
  • FIFA-esque Ultimate Team
  • Live Season has you play out the actual pro year as it happens, with challenges based around that.
    For instance, if you’d played during last year’s Finals, an in-game challenge might’ve been to hold Dwyane Wade to 9 points or less, based on his bad-knee game against the Spurs in June.
Impressive list TBH. Love that the challenges are similar to what we wanted to do with Live 09
O’Brien reiterated how they see it not as an immediate NBA 2K killer (actually, they never brought up their competition by name), but rather as a foundational piece of a franchise in rebuilding mode. They want to get all of the right components in place now so that they don’t repeat last generation’s mistakes

That was a very promising article for off-court stuff. On court is really all that is left to see, analyze, and finally experience.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: IGN Preview

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:59 am

Apparently the database for the wired scripts are huge. The guy who does presentation for Live is a crazy man, he got ideas for days lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby DIRK41NOWITZKI on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 am

I thought screens were controlled using the trigger, not the B button. :?
DIRK41NOWITZKI

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Promising stuff all around for a solid product across the board. Obviously it's important that they deliver a satisfactory gameplay experience, but I'm glad to hear that they didn't neglect game modes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:55 pm

JaoSming wrote:ESPN Presentation, Breen and Gundy with Jalen Rose doing custom weekly commentary throughout the season

I called it in another thread. i did go a little overboard and say both Jalen & Bill Simmons would be in the game, but I still had the right idea. It's basically what they added in Fifa with a guy "in the studio" sending it out during the intro screens to the main commentators.

a Best of Seven mode referred to by O’Brien as the “Friends Finals,”

that's basically how they are doing Online seasons against your friends in FIFA, with the point system like in soccer leagues... wasn't really sure at the time how they would do this, but a best of 7 is a great way to present this. Plus you'll get the hyped up Finals crowd in basically every game which is nice.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: Preview Articles

Postby JaoSming on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 am

More linked through OS

http://www.destructoid.com/nba-live-14- ... 5013.phtml
NBA Live boasts a constantly evolving game that will reflect the real life NBA season with hours of actual games being played. Really living up to the Live name, I guess.

Oh, and there's a TV show.
these player ratings also reflect in the standard Tip Off, which automatically suggests as the two teams your set favorite team and whomever they're playing that day.
:| english much?
within hours of games NBA Live will offer "Big Moments," challenges that can last, "from ten seconds to a whole game"
NBA Rewind act as snapshots of history. In it, you can play all the games of last season with all the correct player personnel and stats variance as if the new ratings system had been implemented then. The individual game situations of this season will be recorded, too, and playable. If your team loses a key player halfway through the season, you can always go back and play games from the first half of the season instead of facing your problems.
When the season ends, player ratings will freeze as a sort of snapshot of where the teams are at that point, but you can always go back and relive better parts of the season. Teams that continue into the playoffs may get additional daily challenges as well.
Rising Star, Dynasty (up to 30 years as a General Manager), and various head to head options (quick play, full seasons, best of seven series). The awful Ultimate Team idea is jumping ship from other EA Sports properties as well.
I feel so bad for former NBA star Jalen Rose having to sit there and praise nOsCoPeKiLlaHx420 for his NBA Live 14 skills.
:lol:
I didn't have enough hands-on time to sufficiently weigh NBA Live 14, particularly against its fabulous counterpart, NBA 2k 14, but Live feels a heck of a lot better than it ever did. The next console generation has greatly opened up ball physics, firm footwork. The ability to chain moves while dribbling (star players have signature moves) without ever being stuck in an animation isn't a stunning leap, but it feels a lot better than past iterations in the franchise.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nba ... 4-preview/
We didn’t get to see this mode in action, but it keeps you locked to the player you’ve created – complete with custom, zoomed-in camera angles specific to Rising Star – for every game. There’s no pre-draft interviews or press conferences, or any of the other role-play trappings that are increasingly common in other sports sims; it’s just your player and a long ladder to climb toward greatness.
NBA Live 14 only allows for 1v1 games, so you won’t be able to completely fill out your squad with human players. There is a more elaborate competition mode, however, in “H2H Live Seasons.” Here, you participate in a 10-game season against other players, earning a ranking in your division when it’s all over. Depending on how you do, you either move up or down in the rankings to face more evenly skilled opponents on your next runthrough.
NBA Live 14 isn’t a bad looking game, but it’s not nearly as polished as some of the other launch day competitors.The on-court reflections and general feel of the crowd work well enough, but players and coaches are filled out by relatively bland textures and good-not-great animations...If you’re looking for a next-gen launch title that showcases the graphical power of your new console, this isn’t it.
It’s easy to predict disaster for NBA Live 14 if you’re looking at what’s happened in the past as an indicator. The truth is, the game feels like a solid EA Sports production

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming ... s&attr=all
So a guy changes his hairstyle, breaks his nose, wears a mask, new footwear drops - we're able to update that stuff on a daily basis."
NBA Live 14 has all the modes that fans expect from the series, but it's modes like "Live Season" and "Friday Night Live" that really stand out.
:?:
Friday Night Live is a more multiplayer-focused mode where the developers create events and challenges and people participate and compete together.
...different name

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2013/1 ... e-preview/
On looks alone, NBA Live 14 can compete with NBA 2K14, the long-running champ in the genre. The models look comparable, but head to head, I’d still give the 2K Sports game the edge because of the realistic faces and more fluid animations. The other nit-picky thing I noticed is that there’s a plastic-ish sheen to the players.
X button used for shooting...When driving to the basket for a shot, I found my player locked into certain animations. There didn’t seem to be the diversity of moves that NBA 2K14 has.
EA Tiburon uses the force feedback on the new Xbox One controller to let players know which way a person is going to shoot during a post-up situation.
The game already boasts a better user interface than the one employed by NBA 2K14. It resembles the Windows flat aesthetic
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:58 am

More encouraging stuff across the board.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 am

Another one from BR - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1841 ... n-ferwerda
This has been a normal developer cycle for the team. We spent the last year completely rebuilding the game from the ground up. Everything we’ve done this year has been to establish a foundation for the franchise focused on Next Gen only.

uh oh...no CAP?
BM: Gamers also love customization. What type of customization options will be available for gamers. Will we be able to create players, teams, etc? If so, how much freedom will we have in the creative suite?

RF: In our Rising Star mode, you can custom create a player to shape and manage his career over 25 seasons. Customization will allow you to choose the path for your player, whether you want to be an athletic PG or more of a shooting PG. Hair, height, weight, tattoos, footwear, all will be customizable as well.

uh oh x2...no user ratings edits?
BM: Will gamers have an opportunity to edit player ratings, hairstyles or accessories. This is piggy-backing a bit off the customization question.

RF: In Rising Star, yes, you’ll be able to customize your player. However, NBA players will stay true to their real life counterparts, but with the power of a connected experience, we can update appearances to reflect any changes throughout the season.

:(
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:56 am

Yeah, that's no so good on the customisation front...unless of course he's just referring to appearances, which isn't such a bad thing as we've never been able to do more than add accessories to non-created players in-game. Hopefully, Create-a-Player is there and the question has been misunderstood/somewhat side-stepped to talk about Rising Star and Synergy.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Mr LostSoul on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:19 pm

I'll take Scott OG's word as he said P&R was ran by the left trigger and specifically mentioned it opposed to Live10's button-screen that wouldn't allow you to perform moves because you were holding a button. As far as customized accessories I can't see them taking it out, it'd be weird for them to take out one of their strongest areas, and that answer was to a multiple question. I'll believe it when addressed directly. In the video there's an option top of the screen that says "CUSTOMIZE" but who knows what it's for. Remember them bragging about how many "kicks" were in awhile ago?

There's also no in-game injuries, like live10. I hope that you can change accessories though, I don't want to be staring at my screen waiting an hour after a game to end just to get Carmelo's headband to go orange. Have multiple roster saves so their updates wont overwrite it and shyt.
Mr LostSoul

Postby atlwarrior on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:32 pm

After reading the bleacher report article I'm disappointed. One of my favorite things about nba live was player edititing. Take away that then it limits the ability to modify the game play. We won't even be able to create players. Just what were they thinking? I don't even know if I want this game anymore. :facepalm2:
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Do we actually have confirmation that CAP isn't in the game? That wasn't explicitly stated in the Bleacher Report interview.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Yeah but how he answered that question is kind of suspect. He said that you can create players in Rising Stars mode but never mentioned whether we're able to do it outside of that almost as if he's trying to beat around the bush. Unless of course he is unable to reveal that info.
atlwarrior

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Agreed, it's ambiguous and it'd be nice to get clarification. It just strikes me as weird and counter-intuitive to remove a staple of sports games like that, especially when they're obviously trying to avoid the bare-bones approach of NBA Live 06 on the Xbox 360 (which did have CAP of course, but not Dynasty), so I'm not sure that he was saying that they've done that.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Mr LostSoul on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Man dude, I just got the roster update, relive derrick rose's gamewinner vs knicks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr LostSoul

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:49 am

http://www.gamesradar.com/nba-live-14-hands-preview/

- Some rough edges, but also some "flashes of brilliance"
- Good rundown of the layered controls
- No practice mode unfortunately, but there are tutorial videos for the controls
- Day one patch coming

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/13/50984 ... philosophy

- Connected experiences
- EA Sports HoopsNet serves as an in-game social network, with a real-time feed of your friends' activity in all game modes
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 14