PLAYER MOTION MATTERS IN NBA LIVE 14

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Postby Hiteshom on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Wow, I can't believe everybody missed this, was published on the 24 of September and has some good info:

By EA SPORTS Sep 24, 2013

Gary Paterson is the Senior Creative Director for NBA LIVE 14, which releases this Autumn on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Sports video games are all about using your player’s momentum and manipulating your opponent’s momentum in order to gain an advantage.

NOTE: ALL IMAGES ARE TAKEN FROM DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT, AND ARE NOT GEN 4 IN-GAME IMAGES.

THE PROBLEM

Imagine a scenario where you are dribbling in a basketball game. You fake to your left with a hesitation move, and the defender’s momentum shifts, allowing you to cut in the opposite direction and drive to the hoop.

But what if the on-ball defender could immediately change direction and move to his left without any consequences? The balance of the game would be broken, resulting in unnatural defensive movement that wouldn't allow for quick, penetrating players to be successful in 1-on-1 isolation scenarios.

LOCOMOTION IN NBA LIVE 14

In NBA LIVE 14, the development team replaced BOTH core locomotion systems – locomotion with the ball and locomotion without the ball. Much has already been said about bounceTek, our new physics dribbling system. Most of the focus with bounceTek is adding to the look, feel, and control in the dribble. However, bounceTek was also created to control the dribbler’s momentum in order to create a balance between dribbler and defender. We have taken a similar approach in defensive locomotion, where we are now sharing technology with FIFA via the all-new EA SPORTS IGNITE game engine.

MORE THAN 1,000 NEW ANIMATIONS

The new locomotion system includes more than 1,000 new animations that not only replicate the look and the feel of real basketball, but also control the player’s momentum. The system includes low speed turns, jogging turns, sprinting turns, strafing turns, aggressive on-ball defense animations, off-ball defense animations and low-urgency transition animations.

This system not only improves the balance between ball handler and defender, but also results in an authentic system that is more responsive than ever. This phrase “authentically responsive” can work both ways, as players will now be penalized for unrealistic maneuvers.

REALISM IS REWARDED

Imposing penalties on unrealistic play helps improve the balance, depth and variety of NBA LIVE 14. For example, direction changes while moving quickly will be less responsive than when moving slowly. This allows us to recreate moments such as faking or sidestepping a defender that’s closing out a shooter after being out of position.

The new locomotion and shared technologies of NBA LIVE 14 helps this year’s game immensely. But more importantly, it builds a new foundation of balance and realism that will improve the franchise for years to come.

http://www.easports.com/uk/nba-live/new ... ba-live-14
Hiteshom

Re: PLAYER MOTION MATTERS IN NBA LIVE 14

Postby JaoSming on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:16 pm

not on their twitter, not on the US EA Sports site, weird.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:12 pm

That'd be why we missed it. Strange indeed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Good find! That's one of the issues I was worried about with the focus on BounceTek. I thought that if they didn't improve on-ball defense, then BounceTek would get abused and would make the game cheesy/arcady/unrealistic.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Definitely some encouraging info there. I hope that the CPU can't cheat the system with waterbug recoveries and the like, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby 22cedric on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Great info I'm ready for some more info about the game since the NBA season starts in a few weeks.
22cedric

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 am

I'm just ready for some game play footage lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby Hiteshom on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 am

My guess is that it's coming this wednesday.
Hiteshom

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 am

Seems as though the article has been taken down.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Hiteshom on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:24 am

Glad I copied it even with the pictures and bolds and everything haha.
Hiteshom

Postby JaoSming on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 am

indeed, thank you for doing that! and finding it too (Y) (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Return to NBA Live 14