NBA Live & Their Animation, Player Movement Problems

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

NBA Live & Their Animation, Player Movement Problems

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:59 am

I spent some time today explaining this theory that I have that the rating system (athleticism rating mainly) in NBA Live 09, affected the player movements in NBA Live, and how it MAY possibly affect the player movement in the next generation game also. I remembered posting about this years ago when I figured it out, but since the trailer for the NBA Live 14 game came out, I feel that there may be the same issue regarding stiffness and unnatural movements in next gen. If the animations in the next generation of NBA Live does have the same problem as current gen, it means they haven't figured out how to fix it. No matter how many new animations they put in the game, it doesn't matter if they don't look natural. Now I could be over thinking this, but after playing Elite 11 and NBA Live 13, I feel they should try to figure out what the issue is. If the 5v5 footage of Live 14 comes out and it plays well, then I guess I'll admit I was wrong, but I like to speculate.

I wrote this article explaining what I did with NBA Live 09, and how after I tweaked the athleticism ratings, the players moved much more realistically. There was still an issue because I didn't have the software to change all animations or take some things out, but I believe there has to be a reason why the animations react the way they do. I basically mean, digging deep, finding the cause and tweaking the animations by slowing them down to look more natural.

Here's the article:

The answer is simple, get to the root of the problem, and slow down the animations. Back when NBA Live 09 came out, the development team gave us the ability to edit all ratings of players in the game (See picture below).Image

Player Ratings

During one of my game sessions, I was annoyed how the players were moving; there was a specific animation that was pissing me right after the inbound. Whenever the point guard caught the inbound pass after a bucket, he turned around so quick every time, and it just looked so unnatural. At some point I exited the game, and started to look at all the ratings in the game. I noticed an athleticism section and it showed all the ratings that involved athleticism, like speed, quickness, lateral movements, and I started turning down some of the ratings of the Atlanta Hawks players. I saw how some ratings were in 90’s and 80’s range, and just turned them down (-20 or -30 in some cases) without caring about overall ratings. After I was done tweaking, I then went into a game with the Hawks to see if the player movement would change, and noticeably, they did, I didn’t notice them right away, I had to go back a few times and tweaked here and there, but you get the idea. Players started to move slower on the court, but the actions looked more realistic on the court than it did before. I noted all the changes I did universally on paper, and then applied it to all the teams, It took a while, but I ended being satisfied with the game afterwards because the animations looked more realistic, and it started to look like real basketball. If only the development team gave us the ability to take out certain animations it would have been perfect. They also had ratings on the mentality of players, so if players didn’t react to a rebound you would just turn up the defensive board awareness and it would work. Something that simple made me enjoy the game even more.

Going into the next generation of basketball games, I know, the development team will lock all the abilities to edit ratings and in game stuff due to the synergy feature. It’s tied to the rating system somehow, but down the line, if you want the game to flow like a real NBA game, player animations have to be slower than the current setting you have them at. If you have a player like Jeff Teague and you set his speed rating to 99 because he’s fast, and in the game he moves unrealistically fast, similar to a torpedo, you have to change the way the speed settings works because it won’t look realistic. Instead of having the rating system from 1-100, maybe have it from 1-50. Player movement to me is much more important than having someone rated 93 overall, it just looks good on paper and feeds the egos of many. I asked one of the development guys when I was at EA Studios last year if the rating system is somewhat tied to the animations, he said no, but I didn’t believe him because when I was playing NBA Live 13, there was the same issues with certain animations being too fast and looking unnatural, so I didn’t believe him. So basically I’m sticking to my theory until proven wrong.

I'm going to compare two videos right now, the 1st video is the leaked video of NBA Live 13, and the 2nd video is of NBA Live 09 with my tweaked “Athleticism” ratings, and you tell me which player movement looks better. Also, before you start ripping how shit both games look, I’m not saying look at that, I’m saying look at the way the players move up and down the floor, and react in the half court, and compare the two video.

NBA Live 13:

phpBB [video]

NBA Live 09:

phpBB [video]
vs
phpBB [video]

NBA Live 14: Next Gen Trailer

*Notice how they slow down the animations in this trailer proving my point*

phpBB [video]

I may not be correct on my theory, but I've noticed that slowing down the speed of the game doesn’t affect the animations the way it should, you have to get to the root of the problem whether be in the ratings that’s affecting the stiff movement or something else, it has to be figured out. But once the animations are fluid, you should be able to feel the impact of each collision and have it looking more real, and authentic than ever before!!

Source: ThaLiveKing.com: http://thaliveking.com/2013/09/30/nba-l ... -nba-live/

What do you think?
Last edited by ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThaLiveKing

Re: NBA Live & Their Animation, Player Movement Problems

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 am

I think the NBA Live 09 video would benefit from a comparison to the unedited game, to highlight any differences.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby DIRK41NOWITZKI on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Live 09 looks a lot better and smoother, having played the game quite a bit. You might be right on your theory. Any chance you could tell me how you adjusted the ratings. I wouldn't mind trying your "updated" version to see how it plays.
DIRK41NOWITZKI

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Andrew wrote:I think the NBA Live 09 video would benefit from a comparison to the unedited game, to highlight any differences.

I owuld agree. the game is 5 years old
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JBulls on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:45 pm

I see that live '10 was left out. Does the theory not apply to that specific game?
JBulls

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Andrew wrote:I think the NBA Live 09 video would benefit from a comparison to the unedited game, to highlight any differences.

I was too busy making the current video, I didn't think about that lol, I put someone else video in the quote, I guess you can press play on both at the same time, until I can get some time to do a side by side comparison
ThaLiveKing

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 pm

JBulls wrote:I see that live '10 was left out. Does the theory not apply to that specific game?

I remember now you can edit ratings, but they took a lot of the ratings that you could edit in Live 09 in 10. You can't edit quickness or Lateral movements in Live 10
ThaLiveKing

Return to NBA Live 14