Official NBA LIVE 14 First Look Trailer

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Official NBA LIVE 14 First Look Trailer

Postby chicagoRAW on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:13 am

phpBB [video]
chicagoRAW

Re: Official NBA LIVE 14 First Look Trailer

Postby JaoSming on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:32 am

its got that Live 06/07 arena vibe, which was the best thing about those games. Just really great arenas.
Crowd was dead, some completely stationary
Some uniform glitches, only noticeable when paused/slo-mo
DAT BALL TEXTURE :drool:
Animates beautifully, for the on-ball player. Everyone else seemed to have some jerkiness which is a Live staple, hell, an EA Sports staple.
The minute detail in the animations, hands, faces, ermergerd.
I hate painted on wrinkles in the uniform texture
Shoe scuffs in the paint lane (which game used to have that, 2K right?)
Gorgeous light reflections in the floor
Crowd is waaay too orderly and neat in their seats, no one in aisles.

Serious potential for sure, but plenty of room for improvement.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby chicagoRAW on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:42 am

I think the court itself looks amazing, colors, reflections, parquet, perfect. 2k needs to take some serious notes on how to make courts.

Some players look super cut, don't really like that.

Has potential, can't wait to play the demo.
chicagoRAW

Postby StormsWarning on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:53 am

Heat Rock, 1st Blow has been delivered! :crazyeyes: (Y)
Favorite Teams

Cleveland Browns

Cleveland Indians

Cleveland Cavaliers

Live Video Game Streamiing https://beam.pro/Stormz_Warning
StormsWarning

Postby chicagoRAW on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:22 am

leg tattoo
chicagoRAW

Postby DIRK41NOWITZKI on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 am

After watching it a few times, I have come to my conclusion. This looks amazing. I'm not being a fanboy or anything because I admit that there are things that could be better. One thing is the jerseys. They look a little weird when there are a lot of wrinkles. The graphics look good, and the dribbling looks good also. Would have been nice to see how the play ended to judge player collisions. We haven't seen a play end in all the trailers. Makes me a little nervous that there could be an issue. The arena looks good and the court has nice colour. The fans and the crowd look good but they could be better. What I don't understand is when I look at the YouTube comments I see people saying: oh this is horrible or this is trash. I mean come on, even if your a huge fan of 2K, give it the least bit of props. I can't wait to see 5on5 gameplay and to get my hands on it. Nice to see EA put this trailer out as a start.
Last edited by DIRK41NOWITZKI on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DIRK41NOWITZKI

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:56 am

JaoSming wrote:its got that Live 06/07 arena vibe, which was the best thing about those games. Just really great arenas.
Crowd was dead, some completely stationary
Some uniform glitches, only noticeable when paused/slo-mo
DAT BALL TEXTURE :drool:
Animates beautifully, for the on-ball player. Everyone else seemed to have some jerkiness which is a Live staple, hell, an EA Sports staple.
The minute detail in the animations, hands, faces, ermergerd.
I hate painted on wrinkles in the uniform texture
Shoe scuffs in the paint lane (which game used to have that, 2K right?)
Gorgeous light reflections in the floor
Crowd is waaay too orderly and neat in their seats, no one in aisles.

Serious potential for sure, but plenty of room for improvement.

Well Put!! the Textures in general look crazy to me
ThaLiveKing

Postby mlp111 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:57 am

looks good.... but wasnt really impressed. Game still has some stiffness effects. graphics, detail, etc look great, but skin textures look like live 13, clayish... I dont know just yet. I still need some 5- on-5 gameplay to seal the deal for me. After this trailer, I'm still 50/50 im my decision to purchase it. Wish it was coming to PC though! Looks promising though.
mlp111

Postby JBulls on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:56 am

Animations don't look like they blend together well imo. When an animation starts there's no easing into it, just herky jerky movements. Not really impressed.
JBulls

Postby bowdown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:18 am

The game doesn't look realistic at all. Kyrie Irving has nasty armpit hair in real life but in this one its as smooth as a baby's.
bowdown

Postby bluesteel on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:55 am

this is the kind of graphics we have all been waiting for! i find 2k's has always been cartoonish, but on gameplay live doesn't compare..
loved the arena/reflections, the jersey colors, those little animations and details that adds to realism of the game.

the jersey is too silky for me...

THAT ARMPIT!!!!

i could spread strawberry jam on those and lick them with no problem....
bluesteel

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Good to finally get some in-game stuff by way of a trailer, so we can at least see some of the animations and in-game assets. Definitely some "next gen" elements in the form of finger and limb movements, as well as players gesturing, looking around and whatnot. There's room for improvement, but I like what I see there.

Hopefully, the raw five-on-five gameplay footage that will be coming soon will impress - or at the very least, be satisfactory - in terms of collisions, spacing, AI and animations in general.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:46 pm

If you look at the motion before the lay up it looks like Kyrie's arm is slinging up, kinda like a sling shot in medieval times
ThaLiveKing

Postby airBerlin on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 pm

action bronson >
Click here to view my dynasty!
airBerlin

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:40 am

The transitions between different animations is still an issue EA can't seem to get right, yet it is one of 2K's strong points and very important for EA to get down if they want to compete, imo. If they don't get it down, people will continually use the words stiff, herky-jerky, and arcady. They can do it for the dribbling animations, so they need to look at the work they put in on those and start applying some of that to all animations. Just look at the tip off at 0:24 and watch all the background players go from a stand still to movement. It's all at the exact same time and in one snap. There is no inbetween animation, they just start going. Only Amare Stoudemire and an obstructed Tyson Chandler have an animation between a standstill and a run because they have to turn 180 degrees.

Something weird about Amare's jump animation on defense right before the slow-motion.

The crowd is tranquil.

Everything else looks good or even great. I just hope the game doesn't end up being just a dribbling showcase with nothing else.

8 more trailers to go.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby julsnice on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:11 am

I didn't really have a problem with the animations. That has always been the price to pay for having the tight/robust controls that NBA Live has been known for.

My only real gripe is the complexion of the players, which EA Sports is known for getting totally wrong in most of their games. It's like they're afraid to make dark skinned athletes I swear. Why was Amare and Raymond Felton basically the same complexion as Kyrie Irving? Makes no sense.

Also the player models still look kinda skinny and lanky

Outside of that, this trailer got me real hyped to see what they've done.
julsnice

Postby jmoney777 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:05 am

Well I think we have to take the improvements from the E3 build and go from there. The player models have improved but are still overly muscular and the pg's/sg's still look a bit stretched out. Also like other poeple have been saying, some players complexion is much lighter than how they are in real life; make people chocolate EA.

The herky-jerkey ness of the animation transitions is something EA might never master until people constantly harp on and on about it. Its almost like they forget to add the frames so players just morph into the next movement. It doesn't seem to happen when Kyrie dribbles at the top of the key. All in all I'm pretty excited about the game, hopefully they still have time to polish the game up one last time before the launch two months from now.
jmoney777

Postby xredheatx on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:46 am

I'm glad ea has stayed away from going heavy on that "in between animation stuff". While it may look better it takes away control in all aspects. That stiff look is ea giving you a clean slate from which to move and perform any move you want. Not force you to go places or pass, shoot and dribble slowly. Why I don't like 2k gameplay and what most people mean when they say its over animated.
xredheatx

Postby shawjulian on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:38 am

It's an ESPN Presentation because of the MSG ESPN Knicks logo.
LeBrick James. Throws up Bricks
shawjulian

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:29 am

Found a glitch on the NBA mobile site, we're getting a total of 10 trailers,one is for 5v5 game play!! Posted it on my Twitter, I'm not by a computer to upload, but the news is really coming, so let's get ready!!! :mrgreen:
ThaLiveKing

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:58 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:Found a glitch on the NBA mobile site we're getting a total of 10 trailers,one is for 5v5 game play!! Posted it on my Twitter, I'm not by a computer to upload, but the news is really coming, so let's get ready!!! :mrgreen:

I noticed those extra pages in the rss feed, but it only went up to nine. Guess they added another one.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:18 am

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Mr LostSoul on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 am

Can't wait to see them.

Positives about the short clip.
1. Hand/ball relationship looks spry as hell.
2. The dribbling looks authentic, Like you can really be shook by the moves.
3. Liked the aggresive 2nd dribble Kyrie made. (could've been editing, but if it resembles that..Tight.)
4. Liked the player sizes. You can really see the difference in sizes in Live games. Melo looks like he would just murder a little guy in the post, at the same time - he doesn't look too big.
5.The jerseys looks nice. Kicks, pads, ect.
6. The hair looks cool.
7. The court looks big and active.

The negatives I gathered.
1. Some animations don't look next gen. (Tip off- how the knicks players zip into a turn. Melo specifically. Reminds me of Live 06)

2. Tip off again. The way the defense had to turn their back to the offense to run back (rather than just back pace) worries me about the defense. Will they always have to turn around to move back? I see fast breaks being a nightmare to defend if so.

3. Felton doesn't look like he's ready to defend at all. He runs infront of the screen at 0:25 like he's waiting to get crossed, like he's been having nightmares about it. He does get in stance later at least, but something about that feels missing. Like the dribbling is smoother animated than the rest.

4. The socks look like styrofoam.
5. 2k has a way to make their game look realistic(even if the graphics aren't technically better than EA's) their lighting, something about it makes it look more Real World. Not a knock at all at Live, I can appreciate their art style. Just that in past lives, 06,07,08,09, they had that 2k realistic lighting style.
The players still have that baby oil shine in live 14.

6. On the lay-up part, before he rises you can see the animation jerk. Like a computer shift, Stat shifts into Kyrie. (without really moving. Dunno how to explain it. ) Could probably be cleaned up a bit there? Idk. May not look so blatent in-game. Won't really bother me, just it was obvious in the slow-mo. Just thought I'd mention it.
7. At tip off one of the cav dudes -(don't know his name, it'll come back to me when the season kicks)- on the right has his legs broken off. Like the foot planting thing just screwed him over for life, he chopped his own leg off man. Got-damn.

Overall this reminds me of a sequel to Nba live 10. I get that feeling with the graphics and dribbling so far. Hope it comes out.
Last edited by Mr LostSoul on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr LostSoul

Postby DIRK41NOWITZKI on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:22 am

JaoSming wrote:Image

Oh my gosh, I thought this was a joke but I went on the website and it really does say all of that. Wow. Can't wait to see them.
DIRK41NOWITZKI

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:27 am

Sounds like plenty of footage coming our way in the near future.

Mr LostSoul wrote:2. Tip off again. The way the defense had to turn their back to the offense to run back (rather than just back pace) worries me about the defense. Will they always have to turn around to move back? I see fast breaks being a nightmare to defend if so.

Speaking of the tip, I thought the actual jump ball and the tap itself was a little off. It's OK, nothing that would bug me too much, but still a little off.

julsnice wrote:I didn't really have a problem with the animations. That has always been the price to pay for having the tight/robust controls that NBA Live has been known for.

Agreed. While it's important that NBA Live does strive for a good balance between responsiveness and animation quality, in NBA 2K we do see the downside of an animation heavy game; while it looks great, there are moments when it doesn't feel great. I think that both companies are trying to find that perfect balance, coming from opposite ends of the scale.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 14