EA Vancouver playtest for "New NBA Concept"

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Re: EA Vancouver playtest for "New NBA Concept"

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 am

last 2 posts are ridicilous..... nba street :lol:

and online pay to play subscription oriented content, AFTER going missing for a few years you think a company can come back and do some DLC related bullsh... yea, that'll win back customers for sure

ChrisCP3Paul

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:30 am

Ermolli wrote:I have the feeling (since he mentioned October) that he played Live 14,; I don't remember but the other non-Live games, where those released in October too? I want to believe he played current or next gen Live since he's excited but I wouldn't mind a NBA Street game, time will tell I guess.

It's probably an NBA Street game for insurance in case they have to delay/cancel Live 14. They want to make sure they get an NBA game out next season. And since Baller Beats has been done already, at least it's not that.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Ermolli on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 pm

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:last 2 posts are ridicilous..... nba street :lol:

and online pay to play subscription oriented content, AFTER going missing for a few years you think a company can come back and do some DLC related bullsh... yea, that'll win back customers for sure

What's so ridiculous about the idea of NBA Street? I'd like to know since it seems so impossible to you. Maybe you didn't play that (actually from your post it's quite obvious you didn't) but that doesn't mean it's impossible for that to happen, after all EA has released newest versions of EA Big's games like SSX and FIFA Street.
Ermolli

Postby benji on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Who's going to make it? The team that has yet to put out a regular NBA game? A new one at Tiburon? A new team at EA Canada after Elite 11 and getting the Live series taken away?
benji

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:31 am

well I mean my own personal opinion and common sense would back this up.... WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY WASTE RESOURCES ON STREET WHEN THEY HAVEN'T HAD A LIVE IN YEARS
Live is their bread and butter, their money maker their superstar who's been with the team almost since the beginning, Live is EA's Kobe.... it's like the Lakers ignoring Kobe and catering to Jodie Meeks, makes no sense... that's my opinion on that anyway.....

and Shadowgrin's suggestion of subscription based is the one of the stupidest things I've read on the forum recently..
like yea let's be screwing the customer for a few years and then return with what's right now the most heated topic and most despised practice in the gaming world, subscription based DLC related games...
19k+ posts does this dude even think before he writes or just clueless in general
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby Leftos on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:40 am

EA doesn't have to "focus" on Street, nor would it be wasting resources. It has multiple studios. It can devote one to NBA Live, one to another NBA-related game. They have an NBA-related game out every year, and the next NBA Live may or may not be released in 2013.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:50 am

^ You're speaking on assumption, and I'm speaking on facts, I know this because a teammate of mine was used in motion capture here at the Burnaby studio for both live and Street years ago when they were making both games regularly... the people who work on Live work on Street also, so yes it would draw resources away... just one example of that is that the motion capture was done by the same team and same guys for both games

But overall a company like this pinches pennies literally, they don't move a muscle unless absolutely necessary... so yea to a big company like EA who's all about the bottom line EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS.... They will invest in a product that will only deliver a huge return, so with everyone looking towards the revival of NBA Live it would make no sense for them to fiddle with Street which would take some attention away from Live, and also possible mess with Live's development due to resource sharing..... I mean unless they wanna just recycle a previous Street and just refresh it, which they probably can't do now that next gen consoles are coming out..

This is how giant companies operate, Electronic Arts has been voted 2 years in a row now the worst company in America because they're all about the bottom line.... the office here in Canada seems fine no complaints from the local workers here, everyone loves it, but that's thanks to our Canadian laws and etiquette.
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby Leftos on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 am

Motion capture for both games by the same team doesn't mean everything is done by the same team. Again, you have more inside information than I do, and I'm purely speculating. Live and Street could still be done by two different studios, even if the motion capture is done by the same team at the same facility.

And talking about bottom line, AFAIK, EA hasn't had a year without an NBA-related game, so if their schedule put the next NBA Live outside of 2013, they'd still be producing something for next year.

I'm talking out of my ass here, but again, just saying.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 am

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:Shadowgrin's suggestion of subscription based is the one of the stupidest things I've read on the forum recently..
like yea let's be screwing the customer for a few years and then return with what's right now the most heated topic and most despised practice in the gaming world, subscription based DLC related games...

I see you're not familiar with EA's currently preferred business model.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 am

^ oh i am, but i do know not even EA is stupid enough to try and pull that with the disaster that has been the Live series..... in this scenario they have no choice but to come back and try to lure the customer back into buying into their idea and product once again after failing us so many times...

thats what makes your suggestion so ludicrous
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:59 pm

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:i do know not even EA is stupid enough to try and pull that with the disaster that has been the Live series.....

LOL. Proof or ban?

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:in this scenario they have no choice but to come back and try to lure the customer back into buying into their idea and product once again after failing us so many times...

Do you really think the EA higher ups give a shite whether or not they are failing its 'fans'/us?
You said it yourself, they only care about the bottom line. If it's profitable for them to go with that business model even if it's 'loyal fans' don't like it, what's stopping them?

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:thats what makes your suggestion so ludicrous

It's entertaining to know close-minded people like you that can't accept others ideas and just shoot them down because you feel that yours is superior and it makes your dick hard.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 pm

they give a shit about making a profitable product, and it's common knowledge that in their goals for that the customer only suffers in terms of bullshit DLC, and it's well known that they make their employees suffer for that bottom line.... thus the 2 years in a row Americas worst company..

dude just stop it for your own sake, stop trying to sound smart and win some sort of argument that you've made up in your head.... you;re not arguing me and my point of view, you're arguing common sense and common knowledge.....

it's why im done talkin to you
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm not trying to win an argument or your point of view. I'm saying why I think that way and the reason I posted what I initially posted which is something that you can't accept because you think what you say is unquestionable facts.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:13 pm

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:Well I almost didn't make it today, but got there just on time.... and obviously I signed a non disclosure agreement so I can't talk about it.....

but all I can say is cant wait for this October :cheeky:

I'm speculating, but it would be nice for EA to release 2 basketball games this year, make up for the past few years without having an EA basketball title, and forcing 2K on us lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:29 pm

I've always felt there's room for two different brands, a sim oriented title and another concept like Jam, Street or something else entirely. I'm all for Live and 2K striving for realism, but having those alternatives provides a nice change of pace when you're in the mood for a more casual basketball gaming experience. Sometimes you feel like gourmet, other times you're satisfied with fast food. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:32 pm

sooo this has flown under the radar this summer... I'm assuming if this isn't Live then they will release it to compete with current gen 2K14. Still have no clue what it is.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:23 pm

I think it was live 14, and the concept was the bouncetek.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Agreed, seems like a safe bet at this juncture.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:39 am

Ah that makes sense. I guesss when they said "new NBA concept", a lot of people assumed "new NBA game"
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to NBA Live 14