There will be another NBA Live (Kotaku Article)

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

There will be another NBA Live (Kotaku Article)

Postby JaoSming on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Nice little article detailing the NBA License
http://kotaku.com/5951437/despite-three ... -man-at-ea

Although, the license hasn't gone 3 years without being used, see NBA Jam and NBA Jam: OFE. This is the first year that they aren't using the license.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: There will be another NBA Live (Kotaku Article)

Postby benji on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:51 pm

You linked to Kotaku linking to Joystiq?

And neither article bothered to mention the Jam games?

I like how they both said "told Joystiq" when it was a regular PR statement.

Thank god Polygon will be saving us soon after their 1/1000th of an illegal amount of money documentary finishes.

To be fair, I think Kotaku was the one who actually wrote that Elite 11 or whatever follow up. So maybe someone will actually work to find out SOMETHING about the license.
benji

Postby rise on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Kind of reminds me of Greg Oden. Says a comeback is coming every year, but nope, doesn't happen. :(
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Like A Boss on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:21 pm

I hope NBA Live will not be Greg Oden I want it to be Brandon Roy.
Like A Boss
Bulls

Postby benji on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm not sure that's any better of a comparison...

At least suggest someone like Grant Hill.
benji

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:53 am

Can't do that since he is a Clipper now.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 am

Jeff Green?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:28 am

Considering the long working relationship they've had with EA Sports, it's not really surprising that they're giving them some rope and letting them take their time. With the Jam brand, they obviously have other ways of making use of the license and the league is probably happy with that.

Here's hoping they can make that strong comeback next year. Taking the rest of this console generation off is an interesting suggestion but my guess is that they will return next year with NBA Live 14, or at least that's the goal they have in mind right now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ND_Raiden on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:30 pm

it would be great if they let go of the espn license, what a waste. 2k would be amazing with live's presentation
ND_Raiden

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:48 pm

ND_Raiden wrote:it would be great if they let go of the espn license, what a waste. 2k would be amazing with live's presentation

The dev who is over looking Live's presentation is AMAZING!!! He loves his job, I can't remember his name though lol!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:10 am

Andrew wrote:Here's hoping they can make that strong comeback next year.

I've read this before...

viewtopic.php?p=1529481#p1529481
Andrew wrote:However, if it is just essentially a roster update with slightly enhanced graphics and NBA Live 13 does make the strong comeback I believe it's at least capable of doing, then 2K will probably at least lose some ground and a decent amount of fans.

viewtopic.php?p=1526339#p1526339
Andrew wrote:They were showing an early build as well. I think 2K will deliver and will probably garner better Metacritic scores and sales, but I believe NBA Live can make a big comeback nevertheless.

viewtopic.php?p=1524670#p1524670
Andrew wrote:It may end up being the game I personally prefer playing and make up a lot of ground on 2K, but it's a tall order for it to become the dominant brand right away. It needs to make a strong comeback this year first.

viewtopic.php?p=1397363#p1397363
Andrew wrote:They did recently extend their licensing agreement with the NBA though, so they'll likely be making NBA games for years to come. Next year could be their last good shot at salvaging the franchise and making an impressive comeback, though.

Oh Andrew, hope springs eternal. :lol:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:25 am

Lawyered :lol:
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:50 pm

Yeah, it's something I'm keen to see.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:39 am

No doubt about that, Andrew.

But you do realize that 2k14 would be like mind-blowingly awesome compared to NBA Live 14? Also, it's most likely it will get cancelled again due to pressure.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:54 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:But you do realize that 2k14 would be like mind-blowingly awesome compared to NBA Live 14?

you do realize they've already ran out of things to do. i mean, you can befriend celebrities in 2k13 for god's sake. THAT AIN'T REAL LIFE save that for NBA Ballers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:45 am

Qballer wrote:you do realize they've already ran out of things to do. i mean, you can befriend celebrities in 2k13 for god's sake. THAT AIN'T REAL LIFE save that for NBA Ballers

Not every body shares that "REAL LIFE" thought as you do. Besides, improving the gameplay is their main priority I think...so :)
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 am

SoF'nAwesome wrote:But you do realize that 2k14 would be like mind-blowingly awesome compared to NBA Live 14? Also, it's most likely it will get cancelled again due to pressure.

Well, I guess you can never say never after what happened with NBA Live 13, but at this point I'd say surely not again. Surely. At least this time they'll actually have extra time to work on the game, which they apparently didn't in between NBA Elite 11's cancellation, the move to EA Tiburon and putting the new team together.

NBA 2K14 meanwhile should be another high quality game, though it's probably going to have some really sloppy bugs and issues, some of which have been present for two or three years running. That's certainly the case with NBA 2K13, which I do like so far but has a few things that I know NBA Live would be raked over the coals for (and rightfully so), things that don't gel with the high review scores. They're way ahead of Live, obviously, but I don't know that they can actually slam the door shut on them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby justfixit on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:02 pm

I find it funny how people say game X has "all these bugs", but they can't name them. They talk as if game Y doesn't have their own litany of bugs. So why even talk that mess?
justfixit

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Andrew, I get what you are saying about 'zee 2k bugs and yes, they should prioritize on those but if you check out any of these sports series games(like FIFA), all they do is improve the gameplay a tad much each year. Huge improvement/change comes along in 2-3 years in between. But I think unless Live is being made for PC, it's a lost cause. Because it's all just not worth it.
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:07 am

justfixit wrote:I find it funny how people say game X has "all these bugs", but they can't name them. They talk as if game Y doesn't have their own litany of bugs. So why even talk that mess?

Are you talking about NBA 2K13? Because so far I feel we have done a fairly good job of identifying key problems we've come across. I do agree with what you're saying, my point was just that there are still issues with NBA 2K - not just bugs but other criticisms and complaints - that are preventing them from slamming the door shut on NBA Live. As far ahead as they are, there's still room for a second game, which is fortunate for EA after what's happened the past few years.

SoF'nAwesome wrote:Andrew, I get what you are saying about 'zee 2k bugs and yes, they should prioritize on those but if you check out any of these sports series games(like FIFA), all they do is improve the gameplay a tad much each year. Huge improvement/change comes along in 2-3 years in between. But I think unless Live is being made for PC, it's a lost cause. Because it's all just not worth it.

Absolutely. In fact, I'd say major, major improvements probably aren't going to come along until we're a year or two into the next generation of consoles, when they've got that superior tech to work with and have figured out the best way to put it to use.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby justfixit on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Andrew wrote:
justfixit wrote:I find it funny how people say game X has "all these bugs", but they can't name them. They talk as if game Y doesn't have their own litany of bugs. So why even talk that mess?

Are you talking about NBA 2K13? Because so far I feel we have done a fairly good job of identifying key problems we've come across. I do agree with what you're saying, my point was just that there are still issues with NBA 2K - not just bugs but other criticisms and complaints - that are preventing them from slamming the door shut on NBA Live. As far ahead as they are, there's still room for a second game, which is fortunate for EA after what's happened the past few...

Now hold on. No game will ever be free of bugs and design decisions that people don't like. But, I'm asking, where are these "key" bugs? Which one of these bugs leaves the door open of Live? Frankly, if the premise is that the game needs to be perfect to shut out competitors, then that's an impossible task. At the end of the day, you'll have a hard time finding a bug in the game that says, "this is why I'm going to go play the other game" without some serious amount of hyperbole.
justfixit

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Well, the biggest issue for 2K in recent years has probably been online stability. It seems to be better this year - for most people anyway, I personally haven't had any luck getting online with the PC version as yet - but that is an area that EA has been better at, which is perhaps the biggest thing keeping their foot in the door at this time.

I'm not suggesting that a game has to be absolutely, 100% perfect and bug free to eliminate competition, but for all the great stuff that 2K has brought to the table, it hasn't seemed to please everyone. There are even folks that have suggested 2K has been going downhill since NBA 2K10/2K11 and that NBA 2K12 and NBA 2K13 are awful, which I just don't see or agree with at all, but they're obviously doing things that a portion of the fanbase aren't happy with. There's still room for competition, an alternative, which is fortunate for EA given the product that 2K has put out the last few years (which I for one hold in very high regard) and the fact that EA hasn't released a sim-oriented title since 2009.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:05 pm

If EA releases a PC version, all they have to do is release the entire game and they'd take a chunk of sales from 2k. The bug that made the game impossible to install was presumably a bit of an issue, too.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:53 pm

I must've gotten lucky there, because I do have the international version and aside from a hiccup on the first install attempt, the PC version has been working fine for me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby 22cedric on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:49 am

EA Sports is committed to basketball and we will publish a basketball game when we can match the quality of franchises like Madden NFL, NHL Hockey, Tiger Woods PGA Tour and FIFA soccer," EA labels president Frank Gibeau added.
22cedric

Next

Return to NBA Live 14