NBA Live 13 will not be released

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

NBA Live 13 will not be released

Postby Rugshtyne on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 am

http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news/a ... -13-update

After a lot of consideration, we have made the decision to not launch NBA LIVE 13. I'd like to give you a bit of perspective.

When we started the process of bringing back NBA LIVE, we knew it was going to be a long journey. We started by moving the game to a new studio. We brought in some of the best new technology that has helped fuel innovation in our other games. We launched an even deeper level of engagement with our community to gather more feedback directly from fans. And we built a whole new development team to bring it all to life. We felt like we were on the right path.

We also made a commitment to deliver a high quality experience — this is what our fans expect and what we demand of ourselves at EA SPORTS. But making great games is not easy, and we're just not there yet on NBA LIVE 13. Having continued to look at the game over the past few days, it's clear that we won't be ready in October. And rather than launch midway through the season, we're going to sit out the full year and stay focused on making next year’s game great. This decision puts us on the right track for success well into the future in a rapidly changing industry.

I'm disappointed that we have not yet met our high expectations with NBA LIVE, but I remain motivated about where we're going. We're committed to delivering new innovation in online, and our progress in the visual presentation of the game continues to take big strides. We also know that a great game starts with great gameplay, and this remains a huge priority for us.

This wasn't an easy decision, but it's the right one for our fans. I hope you'll agree when you're able to play the game next year.

Andrew Wilson
Executive Vice President, EA SPORTS
Rugshtyne

Re: NBA Live 13 will not be released

Postby Uros12 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:36 am

That basically means NBA Live 14 will be in development for 3 years(Im counting in NBA Live 13 development years).It better be good man,that is more than enough time to make a good b-ball game.
Still taking my time to perfect the beat
And I still got love for the streets.
Uros12

Postby jmoney777 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:39 am

Da******* whyyy whyy whyyy. EA never learns, just release it man. Who cares if its crappy at this point, we just want a game other than 2k to play.
jmoney777

Postby XPviper on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:41 am

R.I.P. NBA Live (1994-2009)
XPviper

Postby houston832 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:46 am

Damn, I know I ragged on it but I would've bought a dlc version just to see how it went. I don't know why they'd just up and decide to can it after all the promotion they gave it, I'm sure the Lebron cover angle would have sold well.
houston832

Postby 22cedric on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:59 am

EA Sports is going to have to blow the henges off with NBA Live 14 after all these letdowns with the NBA Live franchise.
22cedric

Postby Leftos on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:42 am

Really disappointed to hear this. Still, let's hope those job positions and the added development time factor in to make Live 14 a good game.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jenz on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:44 am

So, I was right in predicting it would be cancelled. :lol: It's funny that people are furious of this. They want the game released, but when they get a half-assed developed game, they go crazy and angry saying they've not been given their money's worth. We just have to be thankful 2k's still developing for pc.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Heat88 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:05 am

Crappy news I think to hear live 13 is cancelled, i was so looking forward to two basketball games this year! I think EA has done the right thing if they feel the game isn't good enough but on xbox live there are a lot of bad games to buy digitally and i was hoping as a last resort we would still get live 13 digitally even if it wasn't the best game we would of got something!

The only benefit to this cancellation is that they get more time with live 14 and the hype for people demanding the game is going to increase and maybe that was EA's plan to have huge sales next year. I hope this isn't the case as that's harsh to tease there fans then just take it away for money reasons.
Heat88

Postby volsey on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:09 am

I don't understand where the 3 years went. When your game isn't even good enough to release as a $20 downloadable game, you know it was terrible.

I also don't understand the reason for basing it off of w/e shit they had built for Elite. At this point it probably would have made more sense to say, here new studio, make a completely new game from scratch, rather than figure out what the shit Elite was meant to be. Nobody is expecting it to come out and crush 2k in terms of depth and overall well-roundedness (trademarking that word), so I mean make a solid fundamental basketball game, that is enjoyable (okay easier said than done apparently), and release it for cheap. It will sell because of the NBA LIVE name alone.

And I somewhat understand not wanting to release an unfinished game in order to not tarnish a popular and iconic brand (again NBA Live), but at this point, 3 years sitting out, the value in that name is already nearly depleted.
volsey

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 am

They should just outsource the creation of the game to a capable studio that isn't limited by their poor management structure.

Fuck it, just release Elite 11 and update the rosters.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby havasufalls on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:23 am

Definitely disappointed by this news. I would of purchased the downloadable live online. Might of been good to just send it out and let us give feedback on what we like and what we don't. Hope they make a great game for next year.
DA MAN HAS SPOKEN
havasufalls

Postby MJALLDAY on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 am

This is sad, I was hoping Live would come back strong. What are they doing over there? They can't crank out a game in two years? At least they care about the quality now, they obviously didn't when they released NBA Live 08 for the PC.
Last edited by MJALLDAY on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJALLDAY

Postby jenz on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am

I would anticipate the same drama for next year. Announce a game, delay, then cancel. It makes me sad because I grew up playing these games from live 2003, they see the franchise fall into this.
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby Manni Live on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:43 am

why dont they just stop making basketball games? its already been cancelled twice and it wasnt like anyone was interested in it anyway

For all my patches for NBA 2K16 & NBA 2K14 Visit http://mannipatches.blogspot.ca/

Flickr Page https://www.flickr.com/photos/99620982@N03/

If your willing to support feel free to donate :)

Manni Live
Y'all spinning around like ballers. Seething with jealousy, I am.
Contributor

Postby RedPhazon8 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:53 am

Sucks that this happened, but it wasn't coming out for the PC so I was not going to get it anyway.
RedPhazon8

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Sad. :( Was really looking forward to this, it was a sure buy for me.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Lean on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 pm

This sucks. :(
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:19 pm

At least I got to play it LMAO!!! I'm disappointed as well, hopefully they continue to build on what they've done this year so next year's game can be up to par with their other games. I'm still not allowed to speak on the game itself lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby JaoSming on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:00 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:At least I got to play it LMAO!!!

:? I remember Pat saying that.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby BIG GREEN on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Why doesn't EA just skip nba live 14...give it at least a two year cycle so they can compete with 2k? I mean...honestly I don't know what they can do because 2k is as close to real nba ball as we can get on this current generation of consoles and that's without factoring in the jordan stuff, classic teams etc...nba live is fucked. They should just really focus on bringing back nba street or the nba jam franchise.
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby beegees on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm shocked. So wanted this game. Already bought for her PS3 ... I'm disappointed. :|
This Is Where I Came In

beegees

Postby Nick on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Man, EA sucks at this. :|
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby beegees on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm shocked. So wanted this game. Already bought for her PS3 ... I'm disappointed. :|
This Is Where I Came In

beegees

Postby ND_Raiden on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:16 pm

build a new damn engine and let us test it
ND_Raiden

Next

Return to NBA Live 14