NBA Elite 11 to feature Real Time Physics.....YES

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

NBA Elite 11 to feature Real Time Physics.....YES

Postby JaoSming on Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 am

ok, I'm back in. the OXM article that named the change let us know that they are going to use a similar physics engine as NHL 11's checking system.....I have been wanting this ever since I heard of Backbreaker. :mrgreen:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/26/nb ... me-physics

http://news.google.com/news/story?q=oxm ... CBgQqgIwAA
^shows the scan, but pasta took it down^

Earlier today the news broke of the NBA Live series being rebranded NBA Elite and with that a drastic shift in the direction of the franchise. Now thanks the OXM preview in its July edition it is revealed that the game will also be introducing real-time physics. In addition to that the heavy reliance on analog sticks will mean both dribbling and shooting are mapped to the right stick.

It was just last week we learned that EA Sports is introducing real-time physics in the NHL series. Both games are developed out of the EA Canada studio. The article basically just went into preliminary information on the real-time physics and right stick controls. Shooting will involve how straight up the right stick is pushed determining the success percentage of each attempt. Leave your thoughts in the comments!

Ok, so I've gone from there is no hope to cautiously optimistic. Even if the game isnt that great basketball-wise, realtime physics makes it so you rarely see the same thing twice.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: NBA Elite 11 to feature Real Time Physics.....YES

Postby Andrew on Thu May 27, 2010 11:27 am

Shooting will involve how straight up the right stick is pushed determining the success percentage of each attempt

Really? I didn't much care for it when that was how free throws were attempted as it was way too sensitive. Implemented well, I guess it would be fine but I can't say I'm too thrilled. I'd prefer 2K's shot stick to that.

Real Time Physics, on the other hand... (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Arcane on Thu May 27, 2010 1:47 pm

This was very much a surprise I thought it was another year or two a way for physics engines being incorporated into basketball games.
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Thu May 27, 2010 5:59 pm

dragon@4Q wrote:This was very much a surprise I thought it was another year or two a way for physics engines being incorporated into basketball games.

Maybe it is going to be another year. Who knows what they can get in the game in one year.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JosephsLive on Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 pm

New brand name, new physics, finally something new for EA. Its about time they change the configurations cuz it gets pretty boring with the old configurations like NBA live 10 was a big improvment for configurations. I hope EA doesn't f up the new brand game
JosephsLive

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri May 28, 2010 11:51 pm

Its about time!!! You can break stick in NHL 11, I wonder what they are going to put in the new NBA Elite
ThaLiveKing

Postby Arcane on Sat May 29, 2010 2:12 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:Its about time!!! You can break stick in NHL 11, I wonder what they are going to put in the new NBA Elite

Maybe a break Steve Nash or Manu nose feature.
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat May 29, 2010 2:53 am

I prefer able to swat bats in San Antonio.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sat May 29, 2010 11:21 am

Now there's a mini-game. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat May 29, 2010 1:47 pm

It's happened, I hope they put it in the game LOL, Authenticity Is the Key
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Sat May 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Hey, if it's in the game...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wabenne on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:52 am

Sorry but I'm really concerned about the Analog I think that takes away from the game if your going to make that one stick for both shooting and dribbling. I think the dribbling in 2010 was much better and they should have continued to update the dribbling. I think shooting should be on the buttons and separate dunk and shoot button. They could have did a time sensative shot where as you tap for a quick shot which of course would be less accurate and then hold and let go at the right peak for accurate shot and then holding pass the peak of the shot shoots high, hard, or maybe airball. I just think put on that focus on one stick with key elements of the game like dribbling and shooting is over doing it.

I think that was the problem with Fight Night....I really hope it gives u the option though to configure the face buttons to shoot. But I"m happy about the game time physics. Not to worried about the name change sounds like there trying to make a point that they want to once again be the elite basketball game
wabenne

Postby The X on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:59 pm

As can be seen with games like NHL & FIFA, it takes them at least a couple of years to iron out the kinks, which is a concern if you want it to be a great game this year.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:39 pm

wabenne wrote:I really hope it gives u the option though to configure the face buttons to shoot.

I'm certainly in favour of having a couple of different control schemes, the new right stick method and "classic" controls. I'm guessing we won't be given that choice but I'd be very pleased to be proven wrong.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:35 am

It's always good to try something new Andrew, in this case the "right stick method". :lol:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:31 am

Agreed, innovation is good...so long as it's done properly. However, variety and simply giving the user a choice is important too, particularly if there are quibbles with the new control scheme.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wabenne on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:33 am

I definetly agree Andrew...while innovation is always good, choice to use that innovation or stick with what works for you is even better. Of course we got to give this thing a chance and really see if they are going to put shooting on the analog stick but just being realistic it seems like a stretch. I hope that Elite isn't trying to do so much major things to get back on top of basketball gaming that they began to do stuff that makes the game to difficult and hard to catch on to. As I stated earlier if u want the game to be real then u have to realize that dribbling and shooting the basketball are basic skills easy not difficult, even a person who can't play basketball doesn't have issues with putting a ball in there hands and aiming at the basket. So I think that the game is good with the shot being on the face button maybe separating the dunk and shoot button with circle and square. They can do other things to upgrade the shooting dealing with time sensativity on the buttons, or holding the left stick a certain way, or holding one of the R or L buttons to change the shot, or double tapping a face button. Just really would prefer dribbling and shoot being separate

Again I hope Elite focus on the right issues that would make an already good game better like dynasty mode, adding more depth to the game, bringing back allstar, fixing how easily the user looses the ball going in to the middle. Just don't try to be so innovative that you take away from people the things they like. Like the 3 point contest and dunk contest. I have no idea y they took that out of a basketball game unless they were doing it so that they can bring it back building excitement for the game
wabenne

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:19 am

The OXM scan definitely suggests shooting is on the right stick, so we should probably get used to that idea in case there is no "classic control" option as I believe they have in NHL. So long as it's not too complex or overly sensitive to the point where even the best shooters can't be used effectively because the stick is very slightly left of centre, then it should work out alright.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:51 am

the only problem I have with this, is that, if it's anything like the NHL game, it will be hard to play the Side View, you'd have to play with the baseline cam, and I really hate playing with that cam. It was one of the reasons I got rid of NHL 10, I didn't like the controls, I couldn't get used to it
ThaLiveKing

Postby wabenne on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:16 pm

sorry man but just the thought of dribbling and shoot on the same stick sounds like over doing it to me....we are going to have to get use to doing the most basic part of the game shooting all over again. I don't think it will be a comfortable move just hope it has the "classic shoot" available
wabenne

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Looks like we'll have a practice mode where we can adequately familiarise ourselves with the new controls though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:35 pm

wabenne wrote:sorry man but just the thought of dribbling and shoot on the same stick sounds like over doing it to me....we are going to have to get use to doing the most basic part of the game shooting all over again. I don't think it will be a comfortable move just hope it has the "classic shoot" available

From what the Gamespot info said, yeah, seems there will be classic face button option.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Must've missed that, I'll have to re-read it. Good news, then.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby The X on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:47 pm

And, yes, you will be able to use button controls like last year, but you won't want to when you see the freedom that the new controls give you.

Even for gamers who choose to use the button controls instead of the new hands-on controls, the game is so improved they will still want to experience all it has to offer.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Cool, thanks. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 14