What Needs to Stay in NBA Live 11 (Operation Sports)

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

What Needs to Stay in NBA Live 11 (Operation Sports)

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:47 am

On the main page, I wrote:Dustin Toms has posted a feature article over on Operation Sports, discussing some of the features and aspects of NBA Live 10 that should be retained in NBA Live 11.

On the whole, I'd have to agree with those points. I remain a Dynasty Geek but Dynamic Season is a cool idea that I'd like to see return in future games. It's good to have a few season-based options and the ability to play along with the real NBA season as it happens is a nice alternative to being able to create your own reality in Dynasty Mode. I'd obviously like Dynasty to be the focus for one player/local machine gaming and that's where the improvement needs to be this year, but so long as they've got the deal with Synergy Sports then I think they should maintain an alternative in Dynamic Season.

I also like the play calling in NBA Live 10, both the way plays were called and the fact that a) the CPU actually ran plays (at least pre-patch) and b) the user was rewarded for running plays. So I'm definitely in favour of that system being retained, I don't think it needs much of an overhaul to be honest. A selection of hardwood classic and other special jerseys is also something I think we'd all like them to keep now that they're back in the game.

As far as controls, I'd have to go back to what we talked about in the other thread. I adapted to the new controls fairly quickly and felt they were intuitive, but that's not to say change would be a bad thing. The main thing is that the controls aren't contrived and that we have complete control over our players, so that while there are contextual moves we're not completely at their mercy. I think you could build on NBA Live 10's controls with a few additions and improvements that we've mentioned previously and everything will be fine. The ability to change the configuration would also be most welcome.

As for the last point, I don't think it's all doom and gloom just because Mike Wang has gone back to NBA 2K. I think he should be credited for helping lift NBA Live's game last year but now that a solid foundation has been established I don't think they're going to throw everything away instead of building upon it and tweaking/fixing things as necessary. If they can work out the major kinks and upgrade Dynasty Mode, they're going to have a very solid product without revamping the whole thing.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 14