Quick pick & roll partner

Talk about NBA 2K10 here.

Quick pick & roll partner

Postby Hedonist on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Hey.. I just played a game with the Magic and when I go to the bread & butter p 'n r play form the quick plays Rashard freaking Lewis comes up to set a pick for me.. what's up with that? and more importantly, how can I change it?

Howard has 99 tendency to set a pick, Lewis only 20... that doesn't seem to make a difference.

It's also not based on position I think because just before I played with the Raptors and the C set the pick (Bargnani)

Oh yeah, I tried the playbook but the quick plays don't show.
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Re: Quick pick & roll partner

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:27 pm

You can't change it. The quick pick and roll only selects from either the PF or C. I noticed that whoever has a better (jump)shot rating is the one who will set the pick. If you want a specific position to do the pick and roll you can either select it from the set plays (not quick play) or use dual control to have that player set a screen (though not really a pick and roll).
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
NLSC's Jefferson Davis/The Questioneer. Doesn't negotiate with terrorists.

Postby benji on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Yeah, the pick logic is weird like that. You can basically force the AI to do what you want (shoot or drive) based on how you play the pick as well. And since it does that jump shooter thing you can cut off the drive or double the shooter pretty easily on defense.

It is possible to override the selection though if you're close enough to the player you want it'll just use that closer player but a few feet back will simply call for the better jump shooter even if he has to cross the court and clog the area.

The shooter thing is great online because everyone guards for the drive not the step back three with guys like Sheed, Frye, Lewis, etc. It also lets you do things like put James Jones in at C and run pick and rolls with him where he'll drift to the corner three automatically.
benji

Postby Hedonist on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:48 pm

So I guess I'll have to order Dwight to set a pick then via Dual player control then?

How do you switch between players in the Dual control panel?
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:59 pm

d-pad.

If you're interested in assigning the 'right' set plays for each team:

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... hread.html

Do note that those haven't been updated yet to reflect the new rosters of each team but nothing significant changed with the Magic roster so I guess the listed plays still apply for them.

benji wrote:Yeah, the pick logic is weird like that. You can basically force the AI to do what you want (shoot or drive) based on how you play the pick as well. And since it does that jump shooter thing you can cut off the drive or double the shooter pretty easily on defense.

It's still better than the quick pick and roll in 2K9 where the C always sets the pick. Though in 2K9 the C actually 'rolls' to the basket unlike in 2K10 where the screener only moves to better position himself for the jump shot when he receives the pass.
Last edited by shadowgrin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Hedonist on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:15 pm

shadowgrin wrote:d-pad.

benji wrote:Yeah, the pick logic is weird like that. You can basically force the AI to do what you want (shoot or drive) based on how you play the pick as well. And since it does that jump shooter thing you can cut off the drive or double the shooter pretty easily on defense.

It's still better than the quick pick and roll in 2K9 where the C always sets the pick. Though in 2K9 the C actually 'rolls' to the basket unlike in 2K10 where the screener only moves to better position himself for the jump shot when he receives the pass.

D-pad? what does it do? I'm a keyboard noob. :oops:

in my controller it says D = shoot but if I press the shoot button the window just disappears.

And on the p 'n roll I get plenty of rolls.. plenty of easy dunks if I play with Amare or someone like that
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:29 pm

I have no idea what to press with the keyboard for the dual control. :lol:

Since you pressed the shoot button, the other player tried to get himself open to receive a pass. The window automatically disappears once you select from the options.
I believe the corresponding buttons are:
crossover = set screen
spin = post-up
pass = come off screen (will run through screens to be open)
shoot = get open (will create some space from his defender to be open)

The d-pad equivalent for the keyboard are the buttons used for coach profiles, quick subs, heat check, and call plays.

And on the p 'n roll I get plenty of rolls.. plenty of easy dunks if I play with Amare or someone like that

If the screener is not really a shooter (even though Amare has a decent midrange J) they sometimes tend to roll to the basket, like if I do it with Paul and Okafor (the other big present being Aaron Gray so Meka is the automatic screener).
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Hedonist on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 pm

shadowgrin wrote:The d-pad equivalent for the keyboard are the buttons used for coach profiles, quick subs, heat check, and call plays.

Excellent that's what I needed to know. It works. :) tnx

Even got it to work first time with the shot clock ticking and got a pretty good look with Jameer but pulled it. :cheeky:
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Return to NBA 2K10