Too many patches?

Talk about NBA 2K10 here.

Too many patches?

Postby z_dize on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi, I've been away just a week from my PC. And when I returned to play my association on 2k10. The performance were awful, much worse than before I left.

My specs are:
Intel i5 750 - 2.6Ghz
2GB RAM
Palit GTS 250 E Green 512 MB ( both out of the box and updated driver stink )
Got an awful lot of space over my HD.. 300GB in fact.
Running it on an XP Pro SP3.

It was just unplayable at least for me. I was just wondering could too many patches (e.g. CF's ) affect graphic performance? I am also editing the rosters and loading draft classes onto my associations. I hope someone can shed some light with me on this. TIA
z_dize

Re: Too many patches?

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Sound like somebody may have been messing with your pc. Time to make a password for your account.

its also possible that there is some power issue with your pc. did you leave it off the entire week or leave it on? check your event log.

I don't see how patches.screw 2K10 up. its not like we can increase the resolution of the textures. I get random crashes when I try to start a game in my association. restarting my computer fixes it for some reason.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby z_dize on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:32 pm

How about roster tweaks? Could it be possible that file destinations get messed up if I edit, say for example Kova's roster, change player salaries, make trades and things like that.

I didn't leave it entirely off for a week. I was able to visit a few times ( 3 days to be exact and log on my PC , didn't play 2k10 though ). And I'm pretty sure no one messed up with my PC. ( unless you consider a 7-year old girl playing y8.com for about an hour a day messing around ) I already did a fresh install, ( added Kova's files, my edited Kova's roster ) but the game is still below average at best. I even adjusted the settings to medium. Still the same.

Could it be possible I have a bad memory stick? or a bad VC? I only had this PC with me for about 5 months now. So as much as possible I don't want to think about bad hardware.
z_dize

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Check to see if your video cards eye candy is cranked up. Like aa and af.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby z_dize on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:17 am

Are those AA and AF video settings stuff? I'm pretty sure they're not cranked up to highest. Plus, with my setup, shouldn't I be able to do that? I've seen post saying they have graphic cards lower than me and are able to play 2k at max.

Anyway, I reinstalled the game a new. Didn't put any patches on it. Played it and it was smooth. Could it be RAM problem now? Not being to read large amount of data ( patches ) on my 2k folder?
z_dize

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:32 am

AA is antialiasing and you can change it in the game or at your videocard control panel. AF is anisotropic filtering and ti can be changed by editing the 2K10 config file or at your videocard control panel. Don't know too much about your card's performance but looking at your system, yeah you should be running 2K10 at the max. You can always troubleshoot by turning those settings all the way off and see what happens.

Another guess is that your antivirus is trying to scan files while the game is running(not likely), but what it sounds like is a background process using up too many resources. You can open the Windows Task Manager and look at the processes tab to see if there are any programs using a lot of cpu.

Last but not least, if there is a constantly bad framerate, it could be hardware failure, or components getting too hot. If the performance is ok at first and then it just gets unplayable, it's probably a heat issue.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby z_dize on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:56 am

I'm using NOD 32 anti v( advertised as a light program ). tried turning it off during playing, but to no avail. I'm really suspecting it's a hardware issue. If it is heat problem, then the performance should drop as I play through the game. But the graphic is bad from the get go.

I will try and add patches now and see how it goes. Thanks for the help Pdub.
z_dize

Return to NBA 2K10