How to Play Multiple Mods ('92,'96,'97,'10)

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K10.

How to Play Multiple Mods ('92,'96,'97,'10)

Postby iPrototype on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Hello there, I always go on NLSC to look at this section and check out what's new with Clarkmylove, Aloncho and StompTheCourt (and many other patchers). They have done an amazing job investing time into their projects and allow people to download it and enjoy themselves. I want to help out as much as I can (I probably can't because I use Windows 7) whether it be creating Cyber Faces or shoes or even going to the length of creating seasons (such as '86 or the much requested '99 seasons). Anyway I know this isn't the board to post this in but I decided to do it because most fans of the series download their mods here and visit here so for mass appeal, I am posting this quick tip here. Hopefully it won't seem bad from a new user.

Anyway, a lot of people aren't computer-savy. This is for you guys.

We all know there are great mods in this forum. Some people have viewed tutorials on Youtube explaining how to put the Jordan face into NBA 2k10 and have heard words that may confuse newbies. I'll be honest, in the beginning after I began downloading season mods I use to "switch" files from my backed up folder to my NBA 2k10 Files folder. For example, I would have my 2010 Season files in my NBA 2k10 folder and I would have a backup of Aloncho's 1992 NBA season on my desktop. I would copy and paste the 2010 Files to another folder on my desktop and copy and paste the 1992 files into my NBA 2k10 Files Folder.

This consumed so much time and because I was not educated enough and new to the NBA on PC scene, I did not know there was any other way. Until one night I had a dream (about patching, seriously?) and I dreamt of another way to play the mods hassle free. I wiped everything from my computer and installed NBA 2k10 again. I then made a copy of the default NBA 2k10 Files folder and placed it on my desktop. After that I downloaded Aloncho's files and placed them inside the copied folder. I then began the game with the NBA2k10.EXE files inside the folder and could have played it without "switching" like before.

I know I type too much, well here's the sparknotes version.
- Make a copy of the Default 2010 Folder with ALL THE ORIGINAL FILES.
- Place it on your desktop
- Download any mod you want and place the new files inside the copied folder. (except the saves file, place those in your normal saves folder)
- Once satisfied, go inside that folder and look for the "NBA2k10.EXE" file with an icon of Kobe Bryant. Right click and create a shortcut to your desktop. (Picture at the bottom)
- Play the 1997 mod and try to beat the bulls on HoF with the Rockets, I DO :cheeky:

Some people might say "That's stupid I already knew that" but my goal is to help out anyone I can that has the same problem as I did. If I helped you, I'd appreciate if you post on the thread with a thank you.

Regards,
Michael

This topic was moved from NBA 2K10 Modding by Andrew on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:06 pm.
iPrototype

Re: How to Play Multiple Mods ('92,'96,'97,'10)

Postby damonrulz on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:15 pm

You dont evern have to put it on your desktop, that will just make it look cluttered. Just make copies in the 2K Sports Folder
damonrulz

Postby iPrototype on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:20 pm

You have a point, remember you can put the different folders ANYWHERE you want. The only thing you will need to start up the game is the .EXE files from inside the folder.

The reason I put it on the desktop is because the '92 and '97 mods are always being updated so I drag and drop the new items to the folders. There's a method to my madness, that's why I have all the NBA 2k10 files on the right side of my desktop.
iPrototype

Postby Angelo on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Ill transfer this to the general section of nba 2k10 :D and ill sticky this..
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby UltraNIX on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:50 pm

as i am always concerned about the diskspace, i've only copied neccessary files and use switcher batch file. of course, this technique is a bit advanced and requires additional knowledge and understanding, but helps to save from 1 to 4 GB depending on the mod :)
UltraNIX

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:07 am

UltraNIX wrote:as i am always concerned about the diskspace, i've only copied neccessary files and use switcher batch file.

This. (Y)
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby iPrototype on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:26 am

Ah thank you, another thing I forgot to mention you will be copying around 4-5GB of files per roster. Thank you for reminding me. As you can tell with the screenshot, it was pretty early in my time >.>
iPrototype

Postby StompTheCourt on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:56 am

yeah great thought :applaud:
StompTheCourt
NBA2K Modding Vet
Contributor

Postby StormsWarning on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:36 pm

nice tut, is it possible you could upload your bulls icon 96 that is pretty hot? (Y)
Favorite Teams

Cleveland Browns

Cleveland Indians

Cleveland Cavaliers

Live Video Game Streamiing https://beam.pro/Stormz_Warning
StormsWarning

Postby iPrototype on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:20 pm

The icons are all thanks to Worthy Man with a quick search in the forums you can find it. More icons are here including the Bulls icon.

Reason I downloaded this is because I loathe having Kobe Bryant on my Desktop :roll:

Just download the file (won't take up not even a quarter of a MB of space) then right click on the Kobe Bryant NBA 2k10 shortcut. Click on Properties and in the shortcut tab there should be an option to change the icon. Browse for the downloaded icon you got from NLSC and switch them. Apply, OK and enjoy.
iPrototype

Postby Hedonist on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:41 am

thanks! Been wondering about this and frankly, haven't downed a retro mod because it seemed such a hassle. lol

question though: does it only work if you re-install?

or can i just copy my current folder and rename it NBA1k992 for example and start loading it up with retro files?

p.s. fwiw imo you poosted it in the right section. I might have missed it otherwise. So I think it should be stickied in Releases, more people would read it. just my 2 cents.
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Postby iPrototype on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:28 pm

You do not need to re-install. I know some people may not use the $20 store bought copy of the game but the reason I said to reinstall is just in case somebody has downloaded files that overwrote the original files.

You can copy your current folder and load up the copied folder with retro files. You've been missing out man, I hope you enjoy the first time you load up the '97 mod :applaud:
iPrototype

Postby JaoSming on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:05 am

Hedonist wrote:p.s. fwiw imo you poosted it in the right section. I might have missed it otherwise. So I think it should be stickied in Releases, more people would read it. just my 2 cents.

agreed, moved to the big show
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Hedonist on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:38 am

iPrototype wrote:You do not need to re-install. I know some people may not use the $20 store bought copy of the game but the reason I said to reinstall is just in case somebody has downloaded files that overwrote the original files.

You can copy your current folder and load up the copied folder with retro files. You've been missing out man, I hope you enjoy the first time you load up the '97 mod :applaud:

Thanks. I did overwrite some original files, like global.iff and I don't know, probably more, especially graphics though, I backed everything I replaced up btw so I can just take 'm back from my back up map if necessary.

The reason I don't want to re-install because I'm afraid it's going to ruin my saved games and stuff. I lost a huge save game of 2k9 by just installing 2k10, I have no clue why but I did. And copying is just easier obviously.

Which brings me to the question, do these two maps (or more) simply share the "Saves" map?

And my other question, is 1997 the best mod or do you just like that season most? :)
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Postby JaoSming on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:45 am

yes they all share the same saves folder
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Culture Games on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:05 am

Thanx for this
Culture Games
ABL Commish

Postby Culture Games on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:06 am

Thanx for this
Culture Games
ABL Commish

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:15 am

:bowdown:
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
X-Men: The Animated Series ×
× Watched:
Blazing Saddles (1974), Signs (2002), The Other (1972) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby iPrototype on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Hedonist wrote:Thanks. I did overwrite some original files, like global.iff and I don't know, probably more, especially graphics though, I backed everything I replaced up btw so I can just take 'm back from my back up map if necessary.

The reason I don't want to re-install because I'm afraid it's going to ruin my saved games and stuff. I lost a huge save game of 2k9 by just installing 2k10, I have no clue why but I did. And copying is just easier obviously.

Which brings me to the question, do these two maps (or more) simply share the "Saves" map?

And my other question, is 1997 the best mod or do you just like that season most? :)

Yes they do share the same folder like Jao said earlier. If you have many, you can just rename the files to "1997" or "1992" If you're worried about losing your saves folder, just back it up prior to re-installing if you're worried about deleting it (because it WILL delete this folder when you uninstall NBA 2k10, it won't delete it if you've backed up the files somewhere else).

My favorite roster is definitely the 1997 season. I was born and raised in Miami and that year we had a championship caliber team; we just got knocked out by Jordan and the bulls in the Easter finals. My favorite shooting guard of all time is Drexler though (Yeah, I said it. Jordan who?) while Barkley was another favorite of mine (even with his bad back that year) and the fact that they were mixed with Olajuwon made it even better. I was young back then but my brother in law (which is a HUGE sports fan and has a great memory about shoes, tendencies and ratings) told me I jumped up and down during every Rockets game and I cried when they lost at the Western Conference Finals to the Jazz. There's just so much to that year that brings back memories of standing in front of the TV and watching each game. Apart from the fact that it was debut year for many great players.

I'm glad to see this thread helped some people out. I spoke with Kris by PM when he moved to the topic and told him the same thing that I wanted it in the release section but I agreed with his decision to put it in the general section.

By the way, first post stickied? what's up?! :cheeky:
iPrototype

Postby Hedonist on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Ok thanks. (Jao as well)

I already started downloading '92 though. But from what you're saying I take that '97 is your favorite because of real life, not necessarily the mod itself. right?

Anyway, I feel the same about Drexler. But I've always been a notorious underdog supporter, lol.

I like the Pacers and Jazz most from back then, Pacers for a big part because I'm Dutch though probably. ;)
And the Jazz because I just sympathized with their losses. I wanted them to win very badly in '97 and '98, those were the first Finals I ever watched live (think '98).
Red rim is not sim!
Hedonist

Postby iPrototype on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:09 pm

The mod itself has done a great job. All portraits filled and all players life like. In my opinion, the 92 and the 97 mods are the ones I open the most. They're great and have everything needed.
iPrototype

Postby SigUp on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 pm

I don't know whether this has been mentioned yet, but in order to play multiple mods one can also use JSGME.
SigUp

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Don't be shy man, talk up! Post the details of what you know/suggest as to help other members with the topic.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby SigUp on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:47 am

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/softwa ... jsgme.html
You place the JSGME tool inside the main directory of NBA 2k10. Then you create a folder called MODS. There you create a folder for each different mod you want (e.g. 1992, 1997) where you put all modded files in. If you want to play one mod go double-click on JSGME and activate the mod. JSGME will temporarily replace all original NBA 2k10 files with the modded ones. After finishing simply deactivate the mod and all the original files are restored.
SigUp

Postby thelegend23 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:54 am

SigUp wrote:http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html
You place the JSGME tool inside the main directory of NBA 2k10. Then you create a folder called MODS. There you create a folder for each different mod you want (e.g. 1992, 1997) where you put all modded files in. If you want to play one mod go double-click on JSGME and activate the mod. JSGME will temporarily replace all original NBA 2k10 files with the modded ones. After finishing simply deactivate the mod and all the original files are restored.

thanks now i'm using this :D
thelegend23

Next

Return to NBA 2K10 Tutorials & FAQs