BodyType Tutorial for EAGE, MorphMesh and OEdit

Resources for NBA Live 2004.

BodyType Tutorial for EAGE, MorphMesh and OEdit

Postby Ozjo on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:14 pm

DISCLAIMER

This is just some notes from my trial and error experiments. You may find problems I have not. This tutorial has also not been thoroughly proof-read.
Also, I have never edited the Shaq body type. My apologies if his file is missing parts I claim are there.

BODYTYPE TUTORIAL

Open xpblend.viv in EAGE and extract blend_loda_body_XYZ.o

XYZ could any of body types (skinny, mediumcut, thick, etc.) There are also custom body types for Baron Davis, Ben Wallace (for his fro), Karl Malone, Rodney Rodgers, Shawn Bradley, Shaq, and Yao. These custom bodies are named in the yaming_ format. Custom bodies are called up in the game by editing the player.dbf. The BODYTYPE field most players are set at runs from 1(skinny) through 7(thickcut). Setting this field to 9 in a player enables a custom body with a name matching the The PLAYERPKG field.

example: PUTTING SHAQ ON A DIET

Open xpblend.viv in EAGE and extract blend_loda_body_shoneal.o

Open MorphMesh. Set [Morph -> Mesh].

In the morph field, find the extract .o file you just extracted.

In the mesh field, set the name of mesh file you MorphMesh will create. We might call it shaq.o or any memorable name. THE NAME OF THIS NEW FILE DOES NOT MATTER.

click on convert.

Open OEdit. Find your the new mesh file MorphMesh created. In this case Shaq.o

Open this file. Clicking on the upper left hand box allows you to work with the object from a frontal view. Ctrl + W zooms in Ctrl + Q zooms out. Holding the Ctrl button and dragging with the left mouse depressed pans over the items. When you zoom in, you will need to pan to bring the item into the field of view. The lower right window (perspective) works in the same way, except you use Ctrl and Drag with the right mouse button to zoom in and out.

On the far upper right is the parts box. This has a list of numbers with check boxes next to them.

Here are what some key numbers refer to in body files

000 = back of jersey
001 = front of jersey
002 = head
003 = arms and legs
004 = shoes and ???
007 = straight nameplate for jersey back?
008 = rainbow nameplate?
010 = old school short shorts (used if ShortShorts value in player.dbf is set to T)
019 = straight nameplate for jersey back?
020 = rainbow nameplate?
029 = baggy shorts

Click on part 001. when it is highlighted the shape of the front of the jersey will appear.

Click on upper right window (Side). When this window is active the word side will turn red.

Hit Ctrl + W several times to zoom in.
Hold down Ctrl and drag with left mouse button to move the part back to the center of the window. When zoomed in close enough, you should see lines and blue dots.

Go to the Action section on the right and click the select button select.

Go to the Direction Option section and make sure on the Horiz. button is depressed.

Click on the Side window again and this time drag with the left mouse button (don't use Ctrl this time) This should create a box or rectangle shape. Any dot inside this area will turn red when the depressed.

Make a selection of some of the dots near the front of the belly area.

Move the mouse over any of the red dots and it turns pink. Make sure to press Move in the Action section on the right. Now hover over any red dot. When it turns pink, left click and drag to the left. All the selected (red, pink) dots will move to the left. Since we did not depress the Vertical button in the Direction Options section we can only move the dots horizontally (left and right). If both were on we could move the dots in any direction.

When you have moved the belly in a bit, save the file.

reopen the MorphMesh program. This time the settings will all be the same but we select [Mesh -> Morph]. The Mesh and Morph fields do not switch position. If the program asks about overwriting a file you have them mixed up. shaq.o goes in the bottom field.

Click convert. It will let you know when this is complete.

Open EAGE and reopen xpblend.viv file.

Select blend_loda_body_shoneal.o from list of items on the left. Click on the import button and select the blend_loda_body_shoneal.o file MorphMesh was directed at. If you wanted to use this for a custom Moses Malone body, rename the file to blend_loda_body_momalon.o

EAGE can import new custom bodies. If the end of the file matches what is in the PLAYERPKG field of the players.dbf file, the corresponding player have that body type in the game if the BODYTYPE field is set to 9.

NOTES
If you change a players height in the game, it also resets the BODYTYPE field to 2. Thus, you will have to re-edit the players.dbf to reset the value from 2 to 9 to get the custom body back at the new height.

HAIR
You can also edit the basic hair types in the xpblend.viv. MorphMesh will convert the morph file (hair08_loda.o) into an editable Mesh file (Mohawk.o) and back. It complains about the header information in the file not matching, but completes the conversions and I have not seen any problems in the game.

DETAIL LEVEL
My understanding is that a loda file is the highest detail level. lodc would be a lesser detail. I only play with the high detail level. If you don't, you would need to edit the appropriate .o files.
Ozjo

Postby idiot on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:49 pm

good work on the tutorial (Y)
idiot

Postby hwwztt on Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:56 pm

Sticky..
Useful
(Y)
wow gold and maple story mesos r my best choice.
hwwztt

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:16 pm

Stickied.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Mikki on Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:48 pm

does anyone know how i could get the 006 from another player then transfer/copy it to another one without it??
Mikki

Postby lilvc22 on Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:46 am

Man I redid tracy mcgrady's body and did all you said in the tutorial but the game keeps crashing
:evil: :x
lilvc22

Postby Ozjo on Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:38 pm

Mikki wrote:does anyone know how i could get the 006 from another player then transfer/copy it to another one without it??

I am not aware of any tool to do this. You could do it with a Hex editor. But you would have to know where 006 started and ended in each file.
Ozjo

Postby lilvc22 on Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:08 am

Hey do someone think they could help me to get this Steve Francis Body Update workin' that I've made and I got Tracy McGrady workin'. So add me to your list lilvc22@hotmail.com or lilvc20@yahoo.com.
lilvc22

Postby Mazzocchi on Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:53 am

where could i download these editors?
Mazzocchi
Resident Mavericks Fan (Since 1994)

Postby serigala on Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:24 pm

Boy do I have a problem. I edited a player's loda.o file with oedit after converting it with morphmesh. Morphmesh converted the morph to mesh, and vice-versa, without a problem ( at least I didn't get any error messages).
I was also able to edit the converted .o file in oedit just fine, the perspective window shows the model I'm working on, and I applied textures onto it without a problem, but when I tried my work in-game the texture is somehow applied to the INSIDE of the head model, making my badass player looked completely messed up and unrecognizable! :shock: :evil: what did I do wrong?? (btw, the model I edited was Brian Grant's, I changed his cornrows into a ponytail, changed his face shape into a woman's and gave him a different texture-never knew Brian Grant could be so cute!) :lol:

Since I installed oedit and morphmesh I've created four custom .o files, and 2 of them have this problem! the other two worked fine, and one of them is a blend_loda.o file (bodytype file). The two that didn't work are both player_loda.o files. Please help!
serigala

Postby Tuomas on Tue May 04, 2004 5:36 am

what file base should it be in morphmesh? I can't get it to work :evil:
Tuomas

Postby idiot on Tue May 04, 2004 7:55 am

Tuomas wrote:what file base should it be in morphmesh? I can't get it to work :evil:

blend body loda should use player_loda
lodau --> player_lodau

etc..~~

:)
idiot

Postby Tuomas on Tue May 04, 2004 11:06 pm

thanks (Y)
Tuomas

Postby Rokas[LTU] on Sun May 30, 2004 11:01 pm

I've created palyer named Durnas Kashistas. Then i extracted blend_loda_body_badavis.o from xpblend.viv.
Opened MorphMesh, selected Morph and Meph and 'Base:' i choosed 'player_loda.o'.
Is it good ? Because it didn't work for me. I edited body with oedit. converted back, renamed to blend_loda_body_dukashi.o, in players.dbf BODYTYPE changed to 9. But in my game, there is still same shorts and jersey.. :?

What i did wrong ?

And also, where i must put blend_loda_body_dukashi.o file ? In /render/xplayer/dukashi or /render/xpblend/dukashi ??

The will to death is what keeps me alive...
Rokas[LTU]

Return to NBA Live 2004 Tutorials & FAQs