Jersey Numbers Tutorial and Batch Files

Resources for NBA Live 07.

Jersey Numbers Tutorial and Batch Files

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:44 am

I have created some batch files that can turn 10 numbers (0-9) into 101 numbers. I have also created an action in Photoshop that will make all 101 numbers and save them into prenamed directories that will be used by the batch file. I have also included a 2x template so you quality-guys can make your numbers really crisp.

Download JerseyNumbers Batch files

You will need Photoshop, and a hex editor that can do a Find and Replace function. Please read the full tutorial before you try it. If you run into an error, you probably forgot to do something. So to be safe, when you do this for the first time, do it slow so you can understand what is going on.

Download and open the archive and extract it to your C: directory. There should now be a folder named JerseyNumbers. You must extract it to the correct directory or else the action in Photoshop will not work.

Once the archive is extracted, we need to load the file "Jersey Numbers.atn" into Photoshop. Open Photoshop and click the actions tab of the history window. Click that little arrow at the top right and select "load actions".
Now browse to the "C:\JerseyNumbers" directory and select the JerseyNumbers.atn file and click Load.

Making the Numbers

Making the 10 numbers is your prerogative. You can make them in seperate files, or you can make them inside the psd template, it's your choice, but either way, they need to end up around the same size and position as the original numbers to ensure proper placement and size in-game, especially on the back of the jersey. The numbers I included in the template were made from bigger numbers, so after using the free transform tool on them, the ended up looking like that. What I would do is open images of the original numbers 0-9 and make each number on a new layer so it has the perfect size. Then all I would have to do is copy them into the template and position them.

The 1XNumbersTemplate.psd file is for normal sized numbers, the 2XNumbersTemplate.psd file is for double sized numbers.

The template consists of 32 layers. There are two base layers. One for Left/Right numbers(23, 99, etc), and one for middle numbers (0, 5, etc). I extracted two dds images(00, 0) from the viv file with dolffin. I then pasted those images onto the base layers.
The 00 went in the "Left/Right" layer and the 0 went in the "Middle" layer. You should do this with each jersey since the position and size inside the png is not always the same.

When you decide to paste an image into a layer, that layer needs to be completely blank. So, select the layer, hit CTRL+A to "select all" and then hit delete on the keyboard. Then you can paste your image into the layer.
If you do not do this, a new layer will be created and the action will not work.

You can leave the black in the DDS images if you want, but after I pasted it into the template, I just used the color selection tool with fuzziness at 1 to select all the black and then hit the delete key to get rid of it.

There are 3 layers for each number. Left, Right and Middle. They are named accordingly so you know where you need to put each number.

Once you are ready to copy your numbers onto the layers, select all the Layers and choose "Hide Layers" from the "Layers" menu so you can see what your doing.

Remember to make sure you delete what I have put in each layer before you paste your number. I left the numbers in there to show you what yours should look like once you are ready to run the action.

Now paste your number onto each of the three layers that belong to it and position them to match the base image the best you can.

Do this for all the numbers and don't forget the middle numbers.

Once you are done pasting and positioning the numbers, you need to make all the layers visible. You can do this by selecting the top layer, then scrolling down to the bottom layer, then hold shift and select it. All the layers should be highlighted now. In the Layers menu, select "Show Layers" and all the layers will be shown. This is to make sure the action is run correctly.

You can save the psd if you want to be safe, if Adobe crashes or something, you will have to do that all over again.
Don't run the action just yet, now we need to extract the number files.

Extracting the files

Copy the VIV file that pertains to your jersey from the "uniforms" directory to the JerseyNumbers directory and rename it to "newyhome.viv".

Using a hex editor(I am using Hex workshop), do a "Find and Replace' action replacing the name of the jersey with newyhome, in this case I will find bostserd. Then click OK and select Replace All, and save the file when it's done.

Run the "Export Numbers.bat" file in the JerseyNumbers directory. This will extract all the number files.

Running the Photoshop Action

Back in Photoshop, Click the "JerseyNumbers" button which should be at the bottom of the action tab. On my computer it takes about 12 seconds to do it's thing. You will notice the hourglass cursor indicating that it is working. What it is doing is hiding and unhiding layers and then saving them as png files in the directories that will be used when we import the files.

Importing Numbers

In the JerseyNumbers directory, run the Import Numbers.bat file.
If you are using the 2X number template, run 2X- Import Numbers.bat instead.

Once it's done, we need to set the viv file and fsh files back to their original names. So rename the viv file from newyhome.viv to whatever jersey you are updating.

Open the viv up again in the hex editor and do a find and replace again, this time you are reversing what we did before, so you will find newyhome and replace it with the name of the jersey you are updating.

Now all you need to do is move the viv back to the uniforms directory, and your all set.

512 Jerseys and 2X numbers

To get 512 jerseys and 2x numbers you will have to do the numbers first before you do the 512 trick. Hell, it might even work if you did the 512 batch first, but you will still need to do the 512 batch again. If you want to have both 512 jerseys and 2X numbers, all you have to do is open the fshline directory where the 512 batch files are(assuming that you downloaded them) and open the jerstemp.fsh file with FSHx then double size the number, then save it.

*I have updated the archive with a file for use with the 512 batch files, so that you can use 2x numbers and 512 jerseys together. You will have to go to the fshline directory and backup the file jerstemp.fsh. Then extract the "2Xnumbers jerstemp.fsh" file into the fshline directory and rename it to jerstemp.fsh. That's it.

That's it. Hopefully it works correctly, and we can all enjoy updated numbers and custom numbers for custom jerseys and so on.

Thanks to c0nr4d for the numbers, and thanks to Lean who turned on the lightbulb in my head for this.
Last edited by Patr1ck on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:23 am

Cool, this would make my life easier. (Y)
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby jusay_mitch29 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:38 pm

many many thanks pdub
search light on the word "mavs" :P
|.:my 2x jersey's.:.CLICK ME:.|join elbeen's forum
jusay_mitch29

Location: 2917 sampaguita 1st, punta sta. ana. manila. philippines

Postby Aca/Kosovo is Serbia! on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:30 am

Lean wrote:Cool, this would make my life easier. (Y)

And me :P
Aca/Kosovo is Serbia!

Postby aleth47 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:36 am

Once you are done pasting and positioning the numbers, you need to make all the layers visible. You can do this by selecting the top layer, then scrolling down to the bottom layer, then hold shift and select it. All the layers should be highlighted now. In the Layers menu, select "Show Layers" and all the layers will be shown. This is to make sure the action is run correctly.

You can save the psd if you want to be safe, if Adobe crashes or something, you will have to do that all over again.
Don't run the action just yet, now we need to extract the number files.

where can i find the "show layers"?? how can i highlight all the layers..how can i do the action "selecting the top layer,then scrolling down to the bottom layer.then hold shift and select it.. i do that but nothing happen.pls help
aleth47

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:10 am

Click on the layer at the top. The one in this pic is named Left 0. Click on it so it is highlighted.

Use the Scroll Bar on the right to go down to the bottom. Hold shift and click on the "Left/Right" layer. All the layers should be highlighted just like the "Left/Right" layer is in this pic. So they all should be blue, or any color but gray, depending on your layout. In the pic only the "Left/Right" layer is highlighted, though. You want them all highlighted.

On the top menu, there should be a "Layers" menu. Click it and look down. There should be something called "Hide All Layers" or "Show All Layers." Even if it sais Hide all Layers, click it, and then bring down the menu again, and it will now say Show all Layers, so click it.

I think there is a quicker way of doing it that I may have just found out. Hold the ALT key on your keyboard and left click on the eyeball of any layer (you may have to click on it two times) until all the layers have the eyeball. Now they are all visible.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aleth47 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:31 pm

tnx pdub but in my adobe photoshop there is no "show layers or hide layers on the the menu. where can i find that menu.pls help
aleth47

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Get a better Photoshop? I really don't know. Try the last thing I said and ALT-Click on the eyeball of a layer. You can always make each layer visible one by one. I'm guessing if your Photoshop doesn't have the show/hide layers function, then the action wouldn't work anyways.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

big problem

Postby aleth47 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:49 am

when i do the action, here is what im done.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1521 ... ackjf9.png

im using adobe photoshop 7.0,, what kind of photoshop you are using?is ther any plug ins so i can see the show layers and hide layer?
aleth47

Postby aleth47 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:54 am

when i do the action, this is what im done...
[/img]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1521/texture1backjf9.png

im using adobe photoshop 7.0,, what kind of photoshop you are using? is there any plugins so that i see the hide/show layers on the menu.
aleth47

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:43 am

I use Photoshop CS2. Did you try holding the ALT key and clicking on the eyeball next to a layer? That can also make all the layers visible. But like I said, since the action has the "show/hide all layers" function in it, and 7.0 does not have that feature, the action probably won't work.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aleth47 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:53 am

what program will i use so that i have that hide/show layer function?
aleth47

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:59 am

Photoshop CS, or later, obviously.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aleth47 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:15 am

thx pdub,,im doing this manually,, i will buy photoshop CS.. by the way do you know how to edit the position of the blet.fsh on the back of the jersey?
aleth47

Postby Fluffy Taco on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:18 am

aleth47 wrote:thx pdub,,im doing this manually,, i will buy photoshop CS.. by the way do you know how to edit the position of the blet.fsh on the back of the jersey?

yea, same question. is this possible?
:: credits to [c]kal for this sig ::
:: LIVE 2005 FAN ::
Fluffy Taco

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:27 am

I don't know how to move the names. It's not in any of the files inside the viv. I think it's coded somewhere else in the game.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 07 Tutorials & FAQs