Academy Q&A

Talk about NBA Live 10 here.

Academy Q&A

Postby forestzemel on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:40 am

Hey guys, first off I wanted to say sorry if things like this have been posted. I'm brand new to NBA games and this forum. So my first question is in the academy training say I'm doing the offense pick and roll, do the defense players I have selected get their stats increased also or just the offense players on the court? Second, is it always good to run a 5v5 pickup game at the end of your training and does it get all 10 players stats? Last but not least, I wanted to ask for ANY information / tips for the NBA academy. I seemed to train Iverson a decent amount but he is going down in skill rating, maybe it's his age? I'm not sure.

Again, sorry if this has been posted I'm new and thanks A LOT to everyone who responds :) -Forest
forestzemel

Re: Academy Q&A

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 am

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I believe all the players get some boost when you run a drill, with the larger boost given to the players you are controlling if you're successful in reaching the target score. To ensure you're developing your players at both ends of the court however, you should run offensive and defensive drills.

As far as I'm aware, the 5 on 5 scrimmage does not provide any ratings developments at all. It's just a means of getting to know the players on your team. It's worthwhile doing to familiarise yourself with your players' abilities and shooting form (and thus the release point when you're shooting jumpers with them) but apart from that, it won't improve your roster.

Players have a hidden development rating and older players are much less likely to see improvement compared to young players, so results will vary player to player. If you want to develop a young player then it's important you consistently select them when running the drills. All players develop or decline at the end of the season but when developing players in the Academy during the year, they must take part in the drills to see any change in their ratings. You'll soon find out which players have the best development potential, though once again they will be the younger players on your team. You're not going to get much development out of a player like Allen Iverson at this point in his career.

Hope this helps, feel free to post any further questions you might have. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 am

So player development is all to do with training, not performances during the season?
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:31 am

Correct, it's all about the hidden development attributes which determine their likelihood of improving or declining between seasons as well as their ability to be effectively trained through the season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby forestzemel on Sat May 01, 2010 1:05 am

Andrew!! I wanted to say thanks so much for the informative post. You made a great first impression for the forums. Another question in case any of you are interested, I was curious how you guys go about doing the fantasy draft for dynasty or if you do the regular draft? I drafted L.James, Iverson, Griffin, Al Jefferson, and Bayless. Are those good enough young players(besides iverson for trade issues) or should I have drafted lower rated rookies to develop them over a couple years? Also, is it worth putting dynamic DNA on or will it not effect my dynasty?

ps: Are there any benifits to keeping the salary cap on? I saw something about giving you franchise or dynasty points if it stays on.
pss: How do you unlock levels 2-3 in academy training?
forestzemel

Postby Andrew on Sat May 01, 2010 9:30 am

You're welcome. :)

Griffin, Jefferson and Bayless are all young enough to develop, more so Griffin and Bayless being the younger players. LeBron's still young enough to develop too though obviously he's already at a level where you can dominate with him. If you're doing a fantasy draft then you certainly want to take a couple of established stars if you want to be competitive straight away, which you've done in taking LeBron. It's not a bad idea to take a couple of young players and try and build them up too if you're playing a few seasons of a Dynasty.

As for drafting generated rookies, if you make the Playoffs with one of the best records in the league you're going to have a low draft pick, so you're not going to be getting the cream of the rookie crop come the Draft. However, if you aim for players that have a rating of average or better for their development potential, you'll be picking up players that at least stand a chance of improving through training and in the year-to-year development/decline phase.

If you keep the salary cap on, you retain the ability to earn Dynasty points for completing objectives based on the direction you chose for your team at the beginning of the season. You can then use these points to improve your team staff, which in turn allows you to access the higher levels of the Academy drills.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 10