The Crossover: NBA LIVE Tips and Tricks

Talk about NBA Live 10 here.

The Crossover: NBA LIVE Tips and Tricks

Postby Arcane on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:04 pm

http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthepain ... and-tricks

18-February-2010

Welcome!

Thanks for checking out the first installment of “The Crossover”. My goal for The Crossover is to provide my own tips and strategies for the NBA LIVE franchise. If there is any topic you’d love for me to cover, please don’t hesitate to let me know by leaving a comment within this article.

NCAA vs. NBA

One of the remarkable differences between NBA LIVE 10 and NCAA Basketball 10 lies within what you need to do in order to score. While NCAA Basketball 10 requires you to run a good offense to give you the best chance to score, NBA LIVE 10 allows you more leeway to implement some freestyle into your offense. One of the major keys of being a successful scorer in NBA LIVE 10 is the usage of the right stick. In this edition of The Crossover, I will show you a few of the great things you can do with the right stick to help you torch those nets.

The Step Back

One of the most important keys to hitting your shot is to make sure no one is in your face. Coming off of a pick or running a set play are good ways to get open, but you can also use the “step back” to get that needed separation and balance to hit a shot. In the video below, watch LeBron start to drive to the hoop, only to step back and hit the 3 instead:

The next video shows Daniel Gibson grab the rebound, and then he takes the ball down the court in the fastbreak. Immediately he stops, takes a step back, and lands the shot.

How to Execute:

The best way to execute the step back move is to make sure you’re squared up with the defender (R2 or RT) and then hit DOWN on the RIGHT STICK

The Spin Move

If the player is good with the ball and quick, the spin move is very effective to throw off the defender by either making a clear path to the hoop or to get the defender off-balanced. The video below shows LeBron James driving to the hoop with a spin move. This spin move gets his defender out of position. When Dwight Howard moves over on help defense, he’s not in position and gets called for the foul:

One of the best places to use a spin move is on the fastbreak. Especially when you have numbers because you’re out in the open and the defender is very vulnerable. The video below is a prime example of this situation as LeBron James creates a new poster:

One of the main things you have to keep in mind when using the spin move is who is the player executing it. You definitely don’t want to try the spin move with big men. As you can see in the video below, Shaq has a hard time trying to pull off the spin move, and it leads to a bucket at the other end:

How to Execute:

To successfully execute the spin move, you will need to drive towards the hoop and press UP on the RIGHT STICK.

The Crossover

It is no coincidence that the namesake of this blog matches one of the most effective uses of the right stick. The crossover will get the defender off balanced and can provide you an opportunity for an easy score. The video below shows Matt Barnes complete freeze Anderson Varejao for an easy lay-up:

The best success you can have when using the crossover is when you get your defender to fall down. The video below shows LeBron James pull off the crossover, make the defender fall down, and take a step back to nail the shot as the shot clock expires:

How to Execute:

To successfully execute the crossover, you can either go towards the hoop or change direction (left/right) with your LEFT STICK, and then go either LEFT OR RIGHT on the RIGHT STICK.

My Last Second Shot

As I previously mentioned before, NBA LIVE utilizes more of a freestyle approach in the game play compared to NCAA. If you can master your controls with the right stick, you’re going to put yourself in a great position to score easily and often. Please leave comments and feedback below of how you like to use the right stick to your advantage. Also, feel free to post what you would like to see in future editions of The Crossover.

Interested in becoming an EA SPORTS Game Changer? Check out http://bit.ly/bdfJEB for more information
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Re: The Crossover: NBA LIVE Tips and Tricks

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 pm

They're a bit late getting that up on In the Paint, it appeared on the Inside EA blog last week. Still worth checking out if you haven't already, in my opinion.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 10