important NBA rule not in the game !!!

Talk about NBA Live 10 here.

important NBA rule not in the game !!!

Postby Chris-CP3-Paul on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:14 pm

just posted this in the EA forum, if Andrew can maybe forward it to his contacts at EA, it would be proper, thanks....

"A fairly new rule that has been implemented in the NBA recently is the "CLEAR PATH TO THE BASKET" rule. It basically means if you foul a player who is on a fastbreak with nobody in front of him his team automatically gets two foul shots and the ball, so it works out just like a technical foul.

And the reason this rule is so important is because when playing online a lot of players will foul you after you get on the fastbreak to prevent you from getting the easy hoop, and ends up happening is just a sideline throw in, which clearly demonstrates that this new rule just isn't in the game.

I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure this new rule was implemented last season, and if anybody involved in making the NBA Live game this year even saw a handful of NBA games last year they would have surely heard talk of the new rule as it was a hot topic for a while.
And the reason it was a hot topic (and I fully agree with this) is that everyone was praising the rule as it's meant to serve the same purpose as the half-circle charge-free zone in the paint does, it's supposed to encourage more spectacular high flying action from our favorite NBA stars. Nobody likes to see Lebron make a flashy steal only to be hacked by some no name scrub preventing the highlight reel dunk.

now some of you noobs might think I'm being too picky, and it's no big deal, but it happens at least once or twice a game in the NBA (I should know, I've watched almost every single NBA game this year thanks to NBA League Pass and no work for me, and I can tell you it happens often, actually one just happened 20 mins ago at the Minnesota Clippers game I'm watching right now)

Personally when playing online out of the last 10 attempted fast breaks I was fouled at least 7 times, so it's a pretty important rule not to be in the game. $80 basketball "simulation" that can't even get the basic rulebook right? :lol: please fix this, the game has enough problems as is....

thanks"

EDIT: here is the official entry in the NBA website about the rule http://www.nba.com/features/misunderstoodrules_051128.html

Clear Path to the Basket: If a fast break starts in a team’s backcourt and a defender fouls any offensive player when the team is going to score an easy basket, a clear path foul has occurred. When the foul happens, no defender can be ahead of the ball where he could defend against the easy basket.

also an ESPN article explaining in detail http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2334673
Chris-CP3-Paul

Re: important NBA rule not in the game !!!

Postby KyotoCarl on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:34 pm

Hmm. First of all; I don't think it's that a new rule. Think I've seen it for a number of years, even back in the 90's.

It's strange they wouldn't include that rule in the game really.
KyotoCarl

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 pm

True, but to be honest I haven't had many (if any) situations in-game where that rule should and would come into play. I seldom have fast breaks interrupted by an intentional foul in the game and I can't recall any times when it would've been a clear path foul, but keep in mind I don't play online much. Nevertheless, it's something for the Wishlist as it's obviously an exploit that people are taking advantage of online. I'd say it's highly unlikely to be fixed in the official updates for NBA Live 10 but it's worth mentioning for NBA Live 11.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Paul88 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Andrew wrote:True, but to be honest I haven't had many (if any) situations in-game where that rule should and would come into play. I seldom have fast breaks interrupted by an intentional foul in the game and I can't recall any times when it would've been a clear path foul, but keep in mind I don't play online much. Nevertheless, it's something for the Wishlist as it's obviously an exploit that people are taking advantage of online. I'd say it's highly unlikely to be fixed in the official updates for NBA Live 10 but it's worth mentioning for NBA Live 11.

Why you don't play online? I play only online, because vs pc is boring game
Paul88

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:13 am

I'm more of a Dynasty player.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Chris-CP3-Paul on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:00 am

the rule was made in the 2006 season and revised a year after to 2 shots and the ball...
I see this call at least once or twice every NBA game I watch, yet when I play online it's being abused like crazy....
I prefer the gameplay offline as well Andrew, you can tweak the sliders for a much more realistic feel, online you're stuck with default 50% sliders that make it feel awkward.

I don't know though, now that I find out it's been in the league since 06 I doubt they'll even update it next year...

the EA dude posted a response on the EA sports forum, he tried blaming it on the NBA game testers saying how they didn't notice it or something along those lines, here's his response... (he got some pretty heated responses for trying to shift the blame away from themselves, lol)

blackflash83 wrote: When the game team releases simulation NBA games the NBA themselves take a look at the game and see if it falls within the jurisdiction of the NBA. If an important rule like what you mention was omitted the NBA would have seen this and called us out for it. I'm not sure if this can be included into the update but for sure an important rule like this would have to be included in NBA LIVE 11.

Thanks for pointing this out though.
Chris-CP3-Paul

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:23 am

I'd say it has a chance. In any case, we have a better chance of seeing these things fixed if we speak up and provide constructive feedback. It doesn't take much effort on our part to report these issues so it's in our best interests to keep doing so. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:43 am

They need to fix that foul on the floor and 1 glitch. computer gets on the line all the time when the foul is on the floor
ThaLiveKing

Postby PrinceDassyFresh on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:32 am

I'm with Andrew. I dont think its an important rule because it isnt somehting the CPU does. I've played on Superstar and Ive had a few fast breaks not once has the CPU tried to foul me. To me adding the clear path foul is like adding technical/flagrant fouls. Would be nice to have but isn't needed. if you want a more challenging game I suggest doing dynasty and select draft.
PrinceDassyFresh

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:45 am

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it isn't an important rule because ideally, all the rules should be properly represented in the game and it would seem people are exploiting it in online play. However, if I had to pick an issue with rules in NBA Live 10 that annoys me the most it would be with continuation calls...though truth be told, the way they call continuations sometimes in the real NBA, some of the bogus calls aren't completely unrealistic. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Morzikei on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Clear path... Flagrant 1... Flagrant 2... All of this is greatly confusing. In Europe these are all just called unsportmanlike, and it's your problem if you don't understand why such a foul was called (reasons - clear path, but it can be called in the frontcourt; intentinal foul, hard foul, elbowing and such... I've never seen a flagrant 2 analog, however)

back to the topic - 2k has them... 2k10 for sure, and I think I caught a glimpse of a flagrant in 2k6 PS2 (since it was against me, I didn't really care)

also, there were flagrants in older Live... 2001 gave them for excessive hand-checking
Morzikei

Return to NBA Live 10